Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Horrible game of football, but good to get a win. I really would have taken a loss in this game over a win on Saturday all the same, and my fear is that Benitez is selfishly extending our runs in the cup's while sacrificing our league position.

Don't get me wrong cup wins are great but it'll mean feck all if we finish 5th IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Thoughts about todays result?

You always come in here and ask that but never give your own thought's, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

We've had worse days :) roll on the next gen final at 5 on Eurosport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Great result. Performance was a tad disjointed. Once the front 4 get going properly there're something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Fair play to Rafa, looking forward to the City game

Fair play to Rafa, looking forward to the City game

You can't be serious, can you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

To be fair, Id agree with Roy Keane after the game, we're more than capable of getting top 4 and either winning the FA Cup or Europa League.

Id be delighted with our season if we could get top 4 and win both, would be up there with one of our best, which is crazy as we the fans have probably hated this season like no other, but id tip my hat to Rafa if he pulls it all off, still convinced RDM could have done the same if not better though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I think the two games against Man Utd have shown that we can more than match the top teams. It's just been a few factors that have thrown us off this season in the league and Champions League. It has to be remembered that this really is a season of transition. Without Drogba, the focal point of the team for the best part of 8 years, with Lampard and Terry playing a less influential role on the pitch and with a complete change in the style of play we are trying to adopt with the likes of Hazard, Mata and Oscar it was always going to take a bit of time and I think that's what messed up our Champions League campaign, that and a mis-firing striker.

Since that the players have been developing an understanding of the English game and each other. I think it is noticeable that Oscar and Hazard track back more now than they did at the start of the season. Like Rafa's Liverpool side, we've had problems against smaller teams.

I just think with a few tweaks, maybe getting De Bruyne into the side, maybe getting Lukaku back at the club and a signing or two, with the right manager this is a group of players capable of winning the league. We saw it in the fight back at Old Trafford that it is a group with spirit and fight and we've seen over both games that they can match the runaway leaders of the league in terms of quality. It's now just the consistency we need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

hye lads, was sayin this the last day to mates. whats your take on rafa and the sqauds for the last 2 games. is he prioitising his cv over CL or was it ok considering the opposition in the 2 games?

hye lads, was sayin this the last day to mates. whats your take on rafa and the sqauds for the last 2 games. is he prioitising his cv over CL or was it ok considering the opposition in the 2 games?

I didn't understand the eagerness to get on his back over the selection for the Southampton game. The lads were just back from an international break, there is so many games coming up in such a short space of time. It isn't even like his changes were that shocking.

Terry played, club captain.

Bertrand played, as he has done regularly this season.

Lampard played, probably better suited to playing against a smaller side than Ramires is.

Marin and Moses played, Mata was ill and Hazard was just back from two international games and was probably being rested for the game today.

Torres played, no big shock given Ba's knee condition and given that Ba can't play Europa League it means Torres gets a rest until the game in Moscow with Ba playing today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

I didn't understand the eagerness to get on his back over the selection for the Southampton game. The lads were just back from an international break, there is so many games coming up in such a short space of time. It isn't even like his changes were that shocking.

Terry played, club captain.

Bertrand played, as he has done regularly this season.

Lampard played, probably better suited to playing against a smaller side than Ramires is.

Marin and Moses played, Mata was ill and Hazard was just back from two international games and was probably being rested for the game today.

Torres played, no big shock given Ba's knee condition and given that Ba can't play Europa League it means Torres gets a rest until the game in Moscow with Ba playing today.

Agreed, the team put out were to blame, more than good enough to win that match but were totally out played!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

anything on Cole's injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

duploelabs wrote: »
    anything on Cole's injury?

Cole is out for 2 weeks.

Also our game against Spurs has been postponed due to our progression in the FA cup. A date hasn't yet been set for it.

I don't know if anyone else here is watching it but Chelsea playing some decent stuff in the final of the NextGen against Aston Villa. Shame the pitch is so poor, it's a real hindrance to good football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

I'm guessing the game against spurs is pushed back to tues/wed in week after fa cup semi; cant see where else its going to really fit in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

The pitch for the NextGen is woeful, if they want the clubs to take it seriously then so should UEFA. Shame we are behind have been the better side overall

podge79 wrote: »
    I'm guessing the game against spurs is pushed back to tues/wed in week after fa cup semi; cant see where else its going to really fit in

Best thing I guess about that is it is likely to be the match that sorts out next seasons champions league places. In general we have been ok in must win matches this season so the longer they leave it the better really.

Think Spurs will certainly make semi of Europa league so hopefully will have a bit of a fixture pile up of their own

The pitch for the NextGen is woeful, if they want the clubs to take it seriously then so should UEFA. Shame we are behind have been the better side overall

The pitch really hindered the game. No doubt we had the technically better side but playing a slick passing game on the pitch was always going to be a very tough task for an inexperienced side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

just finished watching highlights of the utd game and even though I know we should be priortiseing a top four finish I would have been gutted if we had been knocked out by them . Some nice play and what a wonderful finish, looked like we were deserving winners for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

kev1.3s wrote: »
    just finished watching highlights of the utd game and even though I know we should be priortiseing a top four finish I would have been gutted if we had been knocked out by them . Some nice play and what a wonderful finish, looked like we were deserving winners for a change.

I know I'm tempting all kinds of fate here, but the City game is effectively the cup final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Duck Soup wrote: »
    I know I'm tempting all kinds of fate here, but the City game is effectively the cup final.

I would have to say, I agree. I know upsets in Cup Finals have happened, but apart from maybe the League Cup a few years ago when Brum beat Arsenal. But in the FA Cup, the last time a true underdog won it would probably be the 1995 Final where Everton beat United. Even then, that's not such a massive stretch. For a true upset it is even further back, to 1988 where Wimbledon beat Liverpool.

The FA Cup is famous for its upsets, but they are pretty rare in the final, especially in recent times. In most recent FA Cup Finals, the two teams have been pretty closely matched (ie. Liverpool v. Arsenal, Arsenal v. United, United v. Chelsea, Chelsea v. Liverpool) so that either of those teams winning is not an upset at all, or the final has gone to the favourite (Chelsea v. Pompey, Liverpool v. West Ham, etc.).

It isn't too premature to venture that the Chelsea v. City game will produce the eventual winner. Wigan or Millwall might value it more, but as it could turn out to be the only piece of silverware either Chelsea or City win for the season, I would not be surprised at either of them really going for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I love beating Utd.

If it wasnt for Cechs excellent save or Van Persie pulling a Torres it could have been different, still though we created enough decent opportunities to win the game by more.

Cant wait for the City game now.

Love this from Rafa :
    “Ashley is out for at least two weeks, so, for us, that means 20 games.”

Uefa have nothing to do with the NextGen Series, I agree that the pitch has been awful but I'm sure that it was in better order when the decision was made to host the final there.

The Nextgen series has been a great success IMO, It annoys me though that UEFA are now gonna try host their own competition just because they know its a success, they obviously care very little about youth football and are only doing it as the don't want NextGen having control.

Thats quite shocking Caveman it is indeed a great idea I really should have known that UEFA would have had nothing to do with it.

That being said minimum standards should have been set for the final not because it is a nice jolly, at least thats the impression I got.

Di Canios first Sunderland match will be against us on Sunday, hopefully we can take the 3 points though as anything less could see us out of 4th with the season coming to an end.

• Advertisement

What's better then Jose coming back? Drogba.......

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/200515.html
    Drogba open to Chelsea return with Mourinho

"I think for the club it is the best solution to bring Jose back," Drogba told the Guardian . "The fans want him back. He loves Chelsea.

"I don't think he has got over Chelsea and they haven't got over him. When he came he brought success; we won league titles back-to-back with some great football and the only thing he didn't win was the Champions League.

"Maybe that is one of the reasons why he might want to come back. It is unfinished business.

Excellent news.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2303218/Thibaut-Courtois-Chelsea-future-unclear.html

Losing Courtois would be one of the worse bit of transfer buisness we've ever done if it comes to that.

Hopefully he just goes back on loan for 1 last season.

I wouldn't actually like to see Drogba playing for Chelsea again, the way he left was the stuff of fairytales, if he came back he wouldn't be nearly as effective and would only harm his legacy IMO.

I would love to see him in a coaching role of some sort though as he's so experienced and influental & of course an absolute hero.

Imagine Torres coming back for pre-season and one of the forward coaches is Drogba. :pac:

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Imagine Torres coming back for pre-season and one of the forward coaches is Drogba. :pac:

Imagining Torres coming back to pre season full stop is frustrating enough

Pre-season this season should be back the start of July or end of June, I'd say the squad will be kept as i until the new guy decides what he wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I'm really looking forward to next season with all this talk of Mourinho coming back. In any case, we really need to make sure of that 4th spot, no CL in itself would be a disaster but imagine looking for a good manager without it, good luck. We'll get it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭chelseaaremagic

lukaku would be a cert in my opinion

What players currently on loan would fit best with a Mourinho team?

Depends what ya mean Mourihno team, his 4-3-3 with us suited what we ahd at the time, hes changed to more of a 4-2-3-1 with Inter and Real, if he stays with 4-2-3-1 then I cant see our system changing too much, maybe more pressing will be encouraged.

The balance between atatck and defend at Real is brilliant to watch at times, but one thing Real ahve that we dont is someone like Alonso in the CM, Khedira does the box to box job Ramires can do but not many can even attempt what Alonso does, we'd need a top quality CM or play Luiz in there and get another CB in.

What players currently on loan would fit best with a Mourinho team?

de bruyne and lukaku

de bruyne is a winger who can track back or play as part of a 3 man midfield as jose will more than likely if he comes back play with one defensive midfielder not 2

• Advertisement

speaking of de bruyne , from today's evening standard

Chelsea have told midfielder Kevin De Bruyne he could be a part of their first-team plans next season following his impressive loan spell at Werder Bremen.

De Bruyne, 21, has yet to play for Chelsea since joining from Genk for £7million in January last year. He finished last term at Genk before being sent to Bremen for regular first-team football this season.

Bremen, Borussia Dortmund and Bayer Leverkusen want to sign De Bruyne (right) on loan for the 2013-14 campaign but Chelsea are considering keeping him.

De Bruyne’s agent Patrick De Koster has held talks with Chelsea and said: “The conversation was very positive. They are pleased with his progress and think he is ready to become part of the first team. The only problem is there is still no clarity about who is head coach next season.”

peteeeed wrote: »
    de bruyne and lukaku

de bruyne is a winger who can track back or play as part of a 3 man midfield as jose will more than likely if he comes back play with one defensive midfielder not 2

Why do ya reckon he'll go with 1 instead of 2?

I cant see us going to a 4-1-2-3, it would be interesting but I think it would leave us woefully exposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If Jose did come back, it wouldn't be a stretch to think CR7 would come with him. just putting it out there

duploelabs wrote: »
    If Jose did come back, it wouldn't be a stretch to think CR7 would come with him. just putting it out there

I dunno would he join any other team in England other then Utd.

Although a team with Mata, Hazard and Ronaldo behind a striker would be the stuff of absolute dreams.

Lets get Jose on board forst though. :pac:

^ That about sums it up ha :pac:

I can't see Ronaldo ever coming to Chelsea but I would definitely settle for Higuain or Benzema. Either striker would be a huge success in the PL imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Don't be using that southpark "whack off" meme, we all used that too much when we signed Torres* remember ??
    ;)

* Still a Forever Legend for _that_ goal at the camp Nou....

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Why do ya reckon he'll go with 1 instead of 2?

I cant see us going to a 4-1-2-3, it would be interesting but I think it would leave us woefully exposed.

its just that jose has used 4-3-3 quite a lot although with madrid he has also played 4-2-3-1. he has always been flexible with his systems

for almost his entire tenure with us it was 4-3-3 and a ttimes he played a 4-3-3 at Inter when he signed Eto'o but at real he has all the tools for a eprfectly balanced 4-2-3-1, I'd argue he would have the same with us if he deployed the right players but I could see him changing a decent chunk of the current squad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement