Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Lads did Shaw not only just sign a contract extension a month or so ago?

EDIT: Just seen this article

http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3919/exclusive/2013/01/10/3661907/shaw-spurns-chelsea-to-agree-five-year-contract-extension-at

all that means is Southampton get a decent fee for him and there are probably one or 2 clauses in that contract with relegation and a buy out price involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd be surprsied if they gave him a relegation clause, hes only young, not on big money and they're only in the EPL a few months.

One positive thing is hes a Chelsea fan so I'd assume he'd be very willing to join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

what a day wrote: »
    I think we could interest Hiddink TBH. Who wouldn want that type of Job at his age.
    The best person for the job i can think of has to be Hiddink because of what he accieved as a coach. Plus not to mention his history with us and being a friend of Roman.

Anzhi are 2nd in the league, behind CSKA Moscow and ahead of Zenit. More importantly, they're bankrolled by a Russian billionaire so Guus would be on a serious, serious wedge. (I speak as someone who love to see either Hiddink or Ancelotti back).

Similarly, PSG is owned a (middle Eastern) billionaire and a Middle Eastern conglomerate.

Time was, the dosh alone would have the finest managers in the world running to manage Chelsea. Now RA is just one of a number of mind-blowingly wealthy owners, with pretty much unlimited funds. The difference is that many of the other billionaires will give you time to prove yourself and not interfere in footballing decisions such as team selection and buying players.

At this stage, why give up £5m a year at a club where you might stay 5 or 10 years to go to a club where you might make £6m a year for 18 months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

League is gone now, and I dont see us winning the Europa League because Torres has to start in it (Ba cup-tied)

FA Cup and League Cup are our best hopes of silverware...

But most of all we cannot slip out of the top 4 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Duck Soup wrote: »

Anzhi are 2nd in the league, behind CSKA Moscow and ahead of Zenit. More importantly, they're bankrolled by a Russian billionaire so Guus would be on a serious, serious wedge. (I speak as someone who love to see either Hiddink or Ancelotti back).

Similarly, PSG is owned a (middle Eastern) billionaire and a Middle Eastern conglomerate.

Time was, the dosh alone would have the finest managers in the world running to manage Chelsea. Now RA is just one of a number of mind-blowingly wealthy owners, with pretty much unlimited funds. The difference is that many of the other billionaires will give you time to prove yourself and not interfere in footballing decisions such as team selection and buying players.

At this stage, why give up £5m a year at a club where you might stay 5 or 10 years to go to a club where you might make £6m a year for 18 months?

I agree that we aren't as attractive as we used to be but thing about us when a manager gets sacked they still get paid what's left on their contract. With the settlements we've paid since Roman came we could have 2-3 world class players. The sad thing is he's pushing away the top talent with this culture which has worked but it's only ever a short term solution. Until the board realise this it's going to continue to be a merry go round. Benitez may end up being the strongest candidate come the end of the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

If it's true that roman has discarded the advice of emenalo and is set to make any new appointment himself then surely that increases the chances of Jose returning since jose and roman get on fairly well.

Also, if emenalo is sacked then there is no need to replace him. When mourinho first came in we had no Dof/technical director until grant was appointed to undermine jose. I really see no need for such a position if the manager is given full support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Does anyone think Steve Clarke might have a shout in becoming manager next if Zola is in the mix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Di Matteo being linked with the Villa job

Lukker- wrote: »
    I agree that we aren't as attractive as we used to be but thing about us when a manager gets sacked they still get paid what's left on their contract. With the settlements we've paid since Roman came we could have 2-3 world class players. The sad thing is he's pushing away the top talent with this culture which has worked but it's only ever a short term solution. Until the board realise this it's going to continue to be a merry go round. Benitez may end up being the strongest candidate come the end of the season

All true, but if we follow the logic about settlements to its conclusion, then it would actually pay managers to fail. Sign a 3 year contract, get paid (for example) £6m for the first season, win nothing and get paid £12m to leave. Beats working for a living!

Besides which, managers have egos. In many cases, large ones. They want control and RA doesn't offer them that. Klopp from Dortmund would be my guess for next manager - Roman does love the latest bright, shiny thing - but even he may balk at the idea of oddjobs man for someone else's fantasy football team. Laudrup might be more realistic, as at this stage, we'd struggle to lure people away Dortmund or Anzhi, but we might, just might, be able to prise a manager away from Swansea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Not quite sure Zola's ready for such a high profile job yet. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but I reckon he might be a bit too nice to be able to overpower some of the ego's in the Stamford Bridge dressing room right now.
    If he was to be hired, he'd need a strong assistant along the lines of Steve Clarke/Hank Ten Cate who would be able to lay down the law in the dressing room.

The dream would be a joint team of Mourinho and Zola, with Gianfranco getting the main job when Jose fecks off to manage Portugal in 5 years time.
    Here's hoping! ;)

btw, linked with M'bia from QPR today. Not a bad player, but hardly any better than Mikel?
    We need another striker too I reckon. An injury to Ba or Torres and our season could be over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The only person who should be brought in at this stage is José Mourinho. He should be given a huge war chest to bring in some new talented players, get rid of some of the dead-wood and be given free reign to do whatever the hell else he likes.

I could care less if Chelsea win games by 1 goal or by 10 goals. 3 points and wins are all that matter. Turn the team back into a defensive powerhouse. Make it Fort Stamford again. Makes teams fear and loathe coming to Stamford Bridge once again.

Nick wins by a goal or two. 1-0 or 2-1 is as good as any win.

Which is preferable? Ugly football that means we have a trophy cabinet bursting at the seams with silverware? Or lovely, attractive, football that sees us win sweet fúck all? Ask an Arsenal fan for that answer.

For God's sake, Roman. Swallow your pride and bring back the one man who should never have been let go in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Sturridge scores again 3 in 3 games. Playing well and linking up play.
    Glad he's doing well but sad he's gone from Chelsea as he could have been a regular scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Ashley Cole signs one year contract extension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

JPA wrote: »
    Ashley Cole signs one year contract extension.

Suprised me. Excellent news. Can't see why they wouldn't give the same to Lampard now.

Lukaku involved in West Broms goal today some good centre forward play in holding the ball up and a lovely lay off.

DazMarz wrote: »
    The only person who should be brought in at this stage is José Mourinho. He should be given a huge war chest to bring in some new talented players, get rid of some of the dead-wood and be given free reign to do whatever the hell else he likes.

I could care less if Chelsea win games by 1 goal or by 10 goals. 3 points and wins are all that matter. Turn the team back into a defensive powerhouse. Make it Fort Stamford again. Makes teams fear and loathe coming to Stamford Bridge once again.

Nick wins by a goal or two. 1-0 or 2-1 is as good as any win.

Which is preferable? Ugly football that means we have a trophy cabinet bursting at the seams with silverware? Or lovely, attractive, football that sees us win sweet fúck all? Ask an Arsenal fan for that answer.

For God's sake, Roman. Swallow your pride and bring back the one man who should never have been let go in the first place.

All true but, as you know, Roman's money, Roman's whims and he wants tiki-taka, total and utter football. Truth is, he wants Barcelona but can't have it.

I assume that was what he was at with the appointment of AVB, but as I never watched Porto in their league, I can't say how close to the Roman ideal his teams were.

It seems to me that Roman bet everything on getting Pep to the Bridge. Now he's gone elsewhere, just about every decent manager with a pulse is being floated as a potential new Chelsea manager.

But everything we heard previous to this suggest that Abramovich wants a club dedicated top to bottom to the tiki-taka ideal. I remember reading somewhere that from reserve teams downwards Chelsea teams are encouraged to play a much more intricate passing game. It's only the demands for results for the first team that creates a more prosaic style.

Point being, RA is looking for a manager whose dedication to 'beautiful football' is absolute. Never compromise the style. Maybe there are some other names people can throw at me, but I can only thing of one person who answers all RA's demands. Arsene Wenger.

And yes, I know the thousand reasons why it wouldn't, it couldn't, happen. But we know what Wenger can accomplish with a decent budget and the funds to keep players and buy the best. We've seen what he can accomplish at Arsenal. What would he accomplish at Chelsea?

cole signing new contract is great news

http://www.teamtalk.com/premier-league/8413528/Ashley-Cole-agrees-new-one-year-deal-at-Chelsea
    I wonder has lampard being offered a 1 year but won't accept it

• Advertisement

Excellent news about Cole.

Delighted, we get to keep him for another year at least.

At least someone in CFC has some brains and knew to hold onto the best left-back going like their balls.

Sign Frank up for another season and it'll be happy days.

This is the team I'd like to see tomorrow.

cech

Ivanovich---cahill---terry----cole-

ramires--luiz

---mata
    lampard
    hazard

Ba

Luiz has to be back in midfield IMO and Ba is obvious to start.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    This is the team I'd like to see tomorrow.

cech

Ivanovich---cahill---terry----cole-

ramires--luiz

---mata
    lampard
    hazard

Ba

Luiz has to be back in midfield IMO and Ba is obvious to start.
    I think terry on the pitch will get the crowd fired up in a good way , we don't like arsenal so it's a huge game , could really get our season going again with some home form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

peteeeed wrote: »
    I think terry on the pitch will get the crowd fired up in a good way , we don't like arsenal so it's a huge game , could really get our season going again with some home form

Yeah the smelly feckers :D

A 3 - 1 Chelsea win against the smelly fellas will do nicely. :)

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »

Feck sake, thought you meant he'd finally collapsed into a sobbing heap, begged for forgiveness and was let go by the club or something!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

BBD9FqyCcAQ8gpG.jpg

Getting the most out of the old gaffer's coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

That result and the manner of it (2-0 to 2-1 etc) was more important than the performance.

Poor FT9. He needs to get hypnotised or summat....you can see when he makes a mess of a chance that he is genuinely upset with how he made a mess of the chance, he doesn't just shrug his shoulders as if that's the outcome he expected but everyone else expected. Must be tough for him to perform like that in front of all those fans all the time (despite the $). I'd love to get inside his head.

• Advertisement

A very precious 3 points. Keeps Arsenal at bay, moves us up, keeps the top 4 finish alive.

For 45 minutes, Chelsea were imperious. Arsenal's comeback had more to do with a second half collapse of sorts from Chelsea rather than Arsenal's brilliance.

This result, however, merely steadies a foundering ship and papers over some very serious cracks. There are fundamental problems at the core of Chelsea Football Club and it's results like these that are like a life support machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Great result, hanging on at the end there but the 3 points is all that matters..

And in fairness to Torres, he has 14 goals already this season, I seem to remember a lot of people saying they'd be happy if Torres got 20 goals this season, and I'd be very surprised if he didn't get another 6 goals AT LEAST.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

First half we were brilliant. Second half was very poor, delighted with the 3 points though.

Brillant 1st half, average 2nd half but still 3points which all that matters really.

We could have had more goals, Ramires wasted a chance and Torres made himself one or two openings that could have been better converted.

We've to win more games at home and be just as clinical on the road and we'll be sorted to finish 3rd at least.

Dempseys last min equaliser was better for City then it was for us though.

Ba still missed a bloody sitter after doing all the hard work previous. :pac:

Good 3 points yesterday. A bit dodgy in the second half but it's all about getting the points. If we can improve our home form and play torres as little as possible then I'm fairly confident we can get third.

But he didnt score :p

Torres played ok yesterday, won alot of balls against Vermalen and Metsacker that he shoudlnt have, a combination of desire and slopiness helped him but when he came off the crowd were happier to see him put in a battling 80mins.

If he could have put away a chance he would have been in contention for the MoTM.

Saying that, its all in the smaller picture as we done the double over Arsenal which is always excellent.

We only picked up 8 points form all london teams last year, we already have 11 this season and could and should have had more so thats encouraging.

One thing that annoyed me si after the break the intensity from the 1st minute was lost and we didnt get it back until about the last 15,20 mins when Arsenal got a bit more desperate, we have to be on teams for the full 90mins and we'll blow most teams away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

QPR are exploring a shock move for Chelsea misfit Florent Malouda.
    The 32-year-old midfielder has not played for Chelsea this season after he was excluded from their 25-man Premier League squad in September.
    He last played for the club when he came on as a substitute in the Champions League final in May before featuring for France at Euro 2012.

Daily Mail

• Advertisement

Interesting, not really a shock though, hes no place in our squad.

Phoenix wrote: »
    some of the comments made me lol though

:pac:
    Malouda won the Double almost single-handedly for Chelsea in 2010 and was on the pitch when they won the Champions League Finsl in May last year. Their subsequent treatment of him, while under contract, is scandalous and symptomatic of an owner out of control.

Chelsea's treatment of Malouda after all that he's done for them is nothing short of a disgrace.

Good he deserves to play quality minutes instead of getting the shaft at Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Only saw bits and pieces of yesterdays game listened to the last 20 minutes on the radio we sounded very nervy, still a win is a win shame ManU didn't hold on against Spurs but overall not a bad weekend.

Still onward to the game with the Swans on Wednesday, I hope that Ba was rested as I think we will struggle again with Torres starting upfront against them. All well and fine against Arsenal who will always try and attack (well ever since George Graham left anyhow's) so we would find some room. Swansea don't need to do anything so I suspect that is what they will do pure counter attacking football. The few minutes Ba was on the pitch in both the Swansea and Arsenal game he did more than Torres and but for a very poor decision by the linesman we would be only a goal down. Hopefully Sideshow will be fit as well, what was wrong with him yesterday?

I'd be very surprised if Ba didnt start against Swansea, we need to have at least pulled one back before half time, ideally we'd be 2-0 at half time but swansea are difficult to break down, and even more so that they've a 2-0 lead from the 1st leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Great move for us, mad if QPR did that though. He's not exactly the sort to scrap through in a relegation fight, is he?

geeky wrote: »
    Great move for us, mad if QPR did that though. He's not exactly the sort to scrap through in a relegation fight, is he?

As long as hes off our books I couldnt care less.

Hes picked up a few medals and a lot of money for us and hasnt been good for 2 years, so long and good luck and all that jazz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Are we talking Malouda or Torres here :)
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    As long as hes off our books I couldnt care less.

Hes picked up a few medals and a lot of money for us and hasnt been good for 2 years, so long and good luck and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

What a great result yesterday, the team played some beautiful football in the 1st half, in the 2nd half we showed great charachter too so overall it was good performance.

In fairness to Torres, he played well, I think he's just too anxious, he made a great run yesterday and instead of having some composure, he over ran the ball. I suppose it doesn't help having the fans on his back, but he's brought that on himself tbf.

After the Southampton game, both Lamps & Ramires needed to put in a good game, Ramires really was brilliant, he was flying into challenges, and was all over the Arsenal midfield.

If we play on Wednesday anything like the 1st half yesterday then i'll be very confident of going through. I just hope we can keep it up for 90 mins this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

I taught we were pants in that 2nd half yesterday, really taught we were gonna throw away our two goal lead in that second half. We badly missed Luiz in midfield and Ba up front in the second half.

Ivan again getting luck when Cech was alert for a poor back pass.

great to hear Cole getting another year with us, quality player and its the right thing to do!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement