Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd much prefer Moses on the right then Oscar, I think hes wasted out there and it narrows our play an awful lot.

True he is a natural no 10 hopefully next season we can see him rotated in that role with Mata because as it stands we rely on Mata far too much.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Freak goal from Didier here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Considering all that has come to pass, Chelsea are in a pretty alright situation at the moment, and our destiny is very much in our own hands. We have our noses ahead in the dogfight for third/fourth, and are within earshot of two finals. Our squad is in reasonable shape and in a good position for a final push. Our midfield is showing signs of gelling. Ba and Torres are in decent form. Torres in particular can sniff a dignified exit and will I think have a good run-in for the remaining dozen or so games potentially left.

And the relative quiet on the managerial front suggests that something pretty good has been lined up. I'm going with Mourinho. My guess is Abramovich feels justified enough with the UCL in the bag to go back to Jose and give him much more footballing freedom. It's time to build on a pretty good last decade and establish Chelsea as the number one club in the Premiership. Second chances don't come round that often, but I think there's a real opportunity for Chelsea to displace Man U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

McDave wrote: »
    Considering all that has come to pass, Chelsea are in a pretty alright situation at the moment, and our destiny is very much in our own hands. We have our noses ahead in the dogfight for third/fourth, and are within earshot of two finals. Our squad is in reasonable shape and in a good position for a final push. Our midfield is showing signs of gelling. Ba and Torres are in decent form. Torres in particular can sniff a dignified exit and will I think have a good run-in for the remaining dozen or so games potentially left.

And the relative quiet on the managerial front suggests that something pretty good has been lined up. I'm going with Mourinho. My guess is Abramovich feels justified enough with the UCL in the bag to go back to Jose and give him much more footballing freedom. It's time to build on a pretty good last decade and establish Chelsea as the number one club in the Premiership. Second chances don't come round that often, but I think there's a real opportunity for Chelsea to displace Man U.

Despite everything, that post would have most CFC fans in a better mood:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Caveman1 wrote: »
    The thing ive noticed most about Torres in the last few games is that he seems more interested, he's showing for the ball a lot more, also yesterday he was chasing a ball he must of gave o Shea a good 10 yards and he still flew past him, now I know O'Shea is no Usain Bolt but it just reminded me of the Torres of old.

Hopefully he can keep up this type of form till the end of the season, its the least he could do I suppose.

Should break his nose more often :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

One major thing Chelsea are sorely lacking, if competing with the likes of Barca, Real, Munich, Dortmund, Juventus, AC, Inter, etc. ad nauseum on the European stage and then contending with Man U, Man City, Arsenal, etc. on the domestic stage for the long term and if prestige is to be added to the club; a big stadium.

The Bridge has been the home of Chelsea F.C. since their inception, but it is now painfully obvious that Chelsea (despite a reputation as one of the best teams going) lag sorely behind their contemporaries in terms of their stadium. While it is a UEFA 5-star/Elite stadium, it is not in the same league as some clubs' stadiums.

-Barcelona, Nou Camp; Capacity: 99,786
    -Real Madrid, Estadio Santiago Bernabeu; Capacity: 85,454
    -AC Milan/Internazionale Milano, Stadio Giuseppe Meazza; Capacity: 80,018
    -Bayern Munich, Allianz Arena; Capacity: 71,137
    -Borussia Dortmund, Westfalonstadion; Capacity: 80,720
    -Juventus, Juventus Stadium; Capacity: 41,000 (ok, so we ARE ahead of Juventus on this score; but this is a brand new, custom built stadium)

There are also numerous other stadiums that "smaller" clubs across Europe play in that have capacities exceeding 55,000.

In England:

-Man United, Old Trafford; Capacity: 76,212
    -Man City, Etihad Stadium; Capacity: 47,276
    -Arsenal, Emirates Stadium; Capacity: 60,355

White Hart Lane is smaller than the Bridge, but even other stadiums such as St. James' Park (52,387), Stadium of Light (49,000) and Anfield (45,362) are bigger.

Having been to numerous games in the Bridge over the years, I do love that stadium. But it is too small. I have little doubt that Chelsea would have no trouble filling a 50,000 to 55,000 seater stadium week-in, week-out. For long term revenue, to help us compete with other big clubs and I think to add a little prestige to the club, a bigger stadium is needed.

That is something that needs to be more seriously looked at in the near future (not half-arsed attempts at buying old power stations). Once the affairs of the club are solidified more following this season, the issue of the stadium needs to be looked at more.

TL;DR version: we need a bigger stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

DazMarz wrote: »

TL;DR version: we need a bigger stadium.
    Unfortunatelythe council seem desperate for CFC to stay but at the same time desperate to hinder any development to SB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

David Silva went off with what looked like a hamstring injury against united, looks like he'll be out of the FA cup tie, huge plus for Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

Sky sports news reporting today that Silva is a major doubt for Sunday, great news for us, they usually struggle if either him it yaya are out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Handy as he was very difficult to pick up last night, although Utd had similar problems picking up Mata.

Was actually hoping for Utd to win last night to give the rest of us a chance of catching City and for Citys confidence to be a bit shaky before Sunday but feck it, win Thursday and win Sunday and we'll be laughing.

This sounds very harsh.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2306126/Chelsea-anger-Charlton-snatching-Kasey-Palmer.html

Chelsea have raided Charlton for talented teenage forward Kasey Palmer.

Under the recently-introduced Elite Player Performance Plan guidelines, clubs that have been graded as having category one academies can take their pick of young players at sides that have a lower rating.
    Suitors, though, would have to pay a relatively low fee to land the players.
    And Chelsea, who have a category one grading, have used their rules to the advantage to snatch Palmer away from Charlton, who are rated as having a category two academy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

The rumours are getting louder that HE will return

raphael honigstein @honigstein Mourinho to Chelsea buzz getting louder. two very different people with CFC connections insist "it's a done deal"
    3:24 PM - 08 Apr 13

raphael honigstein @honigstein one source an agent, the other a commercial partner of the club
    3:28 PM - 08 Apr 13

Until its confirmed by the club I'm not getting my hopes up. :o

Does seem a bit unfair, although id say theres something in the contracts that if the players goes on to achieve so much that they club will recieve payments, I could be wrong though but that would sound like the obvious thing.

I'm actually looking forward to the next few years at Chelsea, we have some quality players with possible world class potential coming through the ranks, with the FFP coming in I think we'll get to see a lot more of the these players.

Every season at Chelsea seems to be a rollercoaster ride but there is definitely some good times ahead.

The FFP is dodgy though, look at United who sold the naming rights to the Carrington training ground the other day to AON for 150-160million :pac:

Also Utd have a new Shirt deal starting 2014 for 10 years worth 360 Million.

We've to start selling off naming rights and getting huge shirt deals, the Samsung Training Complex for couple of million anyone?

Now we wont compare to Utd who are one of the biggest brands in the world full stop but wee've to do something about it.

The FFP is dodgy though, look at United who sold the naming rights to the Carrington training ground the other day to AON for 150-160million :pac:

Also Utd have a new Shirt deal starting 2014 for 10 years worth 360 Million.

We've to start selling off naming rights and getting huge shirt deals, the Samsung Training Complex for couple of million anyone?

Now we wont compare to Utd who are one of the biggest brands in the world full stop but wee've to do something about it.

I actually think the FFP is a bit of a joke, you just have to look at what City done, Chelsea could easily do the same thing and get Roman to use one of his many companys to sponsor our training ground or stadium.

Actually just thinking about that, didn't Romans son make his first billion dollar deal only recently ? lets say he decided he wanted to sponsor something would that be against the rules ?

Theres nothing stopping one of Romans company looking for naming rights to Cobham or getting naming rights to our training gear, ala DHL on Utd's.

Guessing here but ;

If its one of Romans companies that sponsor Cobham we'll say for 100 million, he could in theory subside the company with an injection of 100 million of his own fortune to offset the deal.

I imagine Roman would rather find a current sponsor or new investor to do it though and not pump his money in this way but its soemthing that I'm surprised hasnt happened already.

Theres nothing stopping one of Romans company looking for naming rights to Cobham or getting naming rights to our training gear, ala DHL on Utd's.

Guessing here but ;

If its one of Romans companies that sponsor Cobham we'll say for 100 million, he could in theory subside the company with an injection of 100 million of his own fortune to offset the deal.

I imagine Roman would rather find a current sponsor or new investor to do it though and not pump his money in this way but its soemthing that I'm surprised hasnt happened already.

Isn't that whats happened at City, have they not got something like 400 million for the Etihad stadium naming rights ? I thought I read somewhere that FIFA would be investigating the deal as the City owner owns Etihad Airways too.

Is this guy Gardner for real, he was very lucky not to see red for that challenge

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/308186/?

• Advertisement

There certainly is a conflict of interests with the deal so you can see why it is been investigated but as you said whats stopping a company owned by Romans family investing?

Same can be said about the Sheiks at City, I supopse if they wanted to they find away around it, legally there must be some loop hoels that the best legal teams will manage to by pass before FIFA get invovled.

Caveman1 wrote: »
    I actually think the FFP is a bit of a joke, you just have to look at what City done, Chelsea could easily do the same thing and get Roman to use one of his many companys to sponsor our training ground or stadium.

Actually just thinking about that, didn't Romans son make his first billion dollar deal only recently ? lets say he decided he wanted to sponsor something would that be against the rules ?

I agree FFP is a joke it really only helps small clubs stay small and big clubs stay big. How is someone like RA coming into football bad?

When he came on the scene a lot of money was put into the game and continues to be the profile is raised more people want to see it. In most industries this would be seen as a very positive thing.

My feeling is still that it was brought in to put a check on the growth of English clubs, to my mind it is bonkers.

Is this guy Gardner for real, he was very lucky not to see red for that challenge

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/308186/?[/QUOTE]

So much so that Ba went off injured, thats excellent play acting. :rolleyes:

Gardner is a " lovely person and nice footballer too "

Awaits the usual defence, hes not that type of player. :pac:

Good to see our interim admitting what we all knew anyway

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2013/04/rafa-benitez-return-to-liverpool-anfield-manager.html?

I agree FFP is a joke it really only helps small clubs stay small and big clubs stay big. How is someone like RA coming into football bad?

When he came on the scene a lot of money was put into the game and continues to be the profile is raised more people want to see it. In most industries this would be seen as a very positive thing.

My feeling is still that it was brought in to put a check on the growth of English clubs, to my mind it is bonkers.

People just love to begrudge others success, if Roman had of came in and spent all this money without Chelsea really winning much, you would never hear of his name.

What annoys me is some United fans say we bought our success, its laughable when you think United spent nearly 100 million on 3 players (Veron, Rooney & Rio)

I was wondering what would happen if lets say some billionaire took over Everton in 2 years or so, he would basically have no financial impact on the club if he's not allowed spend his money.

If you were to restrict anybody in any other industry in the world from investing in their own company nobody would be successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

All hail Mourinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/308186/?[/QUOTE]

So much so that Ba went off injured, thats excellent play acting. :rolleyes:

Gardner is a " lovely person and nice footballer too "

Awaits the usual defence, hes not that type of player. :pac:

Unbelievable. :confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/308186/?

He's obviously gunning for the Lee Catermole enforcer/scumbag role now that that psycopath is on the sidelines.

• Advertisement

Looks like Thibaut and KdB should fit in nicely at Chelsea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/04/09/chelsea-keeper-thibaut-courtois-has-affair-with-caroline-lijnen-girlfriend-of-team-mate-kevin-de-bruyne/?

If it is true you really couldn't write it could you

Looks like Thibaut and KdB should fit in nicely at Chelsea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/04/09/chelsea-keeper-thibaut-courtois-has-affair-with-caroline-lijnen-girlfriend-of-team-mate-kevin-de-bruyne/?

If it is true you really couldn't write it could you

Let me stop you a second.

In the article it says
    It is being alleged by the Daily Mail

Your one aint exactly a looker, I'd hope the story isnt true but if it is, thn sorry Kev but I'd be keeping Courtois over you. :pac:

Actually wait until he comes back to Chelsea, then you can add JT to the list with Courtois. :pac:

Just looking at some of our records in the EPL.

Most points in a season is under threat by United, they have 77 with 21 to play for, they need at least 18 to match it or 19 to beat it, I wouldnt put it past them but I dont think they'll do it and if we take any points agaisnt them that will put a huge dent in that record attempt.

They wont come close to the best GD in a season, +71, in Carlos double winning season.

Its all about trophies at the end of the day but its the little things we can try to build on, that goal difference during Carlos reign was insane, 103 goals socred is brilliant.

I hope we can beat Utd at Old Trafford, that would mean City, Spurs and ourselves would have beaten them at home this year.

Wioth a few small tweaks we can be oushing for the title next year, this fighting it out for 4th is bollix and this squad, potentially has a lot more to offer then that we just have to unlock it, Jose can be the man to do it.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

Just looking at some of our records in the EPL.

Most points in a season is under threat by United, they have 77 with 21 to play for, they need at least 18 to match it or 19 to beat it, I wouldnt put it past them but I dont think they'll do it and if we take any points agaisnt them that will put a huge dent in that record attempt.

They wont come close to the best GD in a season, +71, in Carlos double winning season.

Its all about trophies at the end of the day but its the little things we can try to build on, that goal difference during Carlos reign was insane, 103 goals socred is brilliant.

and then they went and sacked him.... *sigh*

• Advertisement

Ya I suppose if playing the Barcelona way doesnt mean scoring 103 goals in a season then I dont know what anyone else can do to satisfy Roman. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

So Mikel says he's not a fan of Thursday night football and finds it hard to motivate himself for it.

Is he right to feel this way?

Personally I think that's a terrible stance from a professional footballer earning a serious wage to play the game.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22077711

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

When did he say he finds it hard to motivate himself?

His comments are spot on and I wouldn't expect anyone at a top club to feel any differently.
    What do they say [about the Europa League]? Thursday nights, Channel 5?. Hopefully, next season we are not going to be in it and we are going to be prime time. Champions League football is what this club has always been involved in and that is what we as players want to achieve," said Mikel.
    "We want to be in the top four, top three, whatever. We want to be in the Champions League next season.
    "No disrespect to the Europa League ... but when you get that buzz, and you hear the Champions League song, it's different.
    "And we have been used to it, to those nights, those special nights, and we want to get them back, we want to be involved again in the Champions League next season.
    "I don't even know the Europa League song. I have been here seven years and I have never played football on Thursday nights."
    The Nigerian international added: "It has been kind of frustrating to watch [Champions League matches] - and we have to then play on Thursday night

HazDanz wrote: »
    So Mikel says he's not a fan of Thursday night football and finds it hard to motivate himself for it.

Personally I think that's a terrible stance from a professional footballer earning a serious wage to play the game.

Moved to the Chelsea Thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Id be starting to worry that uf we're not fighting for the title next season its going to seriously damage our ability to sign the best talent and even worse still the talent we have will start to look elsewhere, players will only see us as a stepping stone to a competitive club just like what's happening at arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

well said.

pretty much sums up everything that's wrong with the game today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Don't think Mikel said much wrong, he wants Chelsea to be back in the CL and doesn't have the same desire for the Europa League

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Leiva wrote: »
    well said.

pretty much sums up everything that's wrong with the game today.

You see I would have thought being in a cup and as has been seen Chelsea are a very good cup side that he would put his head down and plow on and try get every medal he can being completely focused?

I just found it a bit bizzare that he is not fired up for whatever is left at the table for chelsea this season. Top four, maybe an FA cup medal and a europa league winners medal potentialy is a good haul for a season by anyone's standers.

Besides that, the sheer amount of money he earns should be a motivator enough!

I can see his point, its was only last year he was lifting the biggest prize in European Club football, its been a shock, game son Thursday usually push your weekends fixtures back to Sunday.

I imagine if you ask the majority of the squad what theyed want, a top 4 finish and no Eruopean League title or a European League title and finish 5th/6th/7th theyed take top 4.

Its not really been a prima donna but its where he expects the club to be.

Agreed with what anpther user said though, failure to qualify for the UCL and failure to push for the league could cause players to leave, coupled with the managerial merry go around the instability must be a disaster to work under for players and staff.

Let me stop you a second.

Indeed Gav that is why I said IF it is true.

Meanwhile better news and worse news

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-handed-demba-ba-fitness-boost-8566258.html

Hopefully Ryan will be ok for Sunday anyway and good that Ba will be or so it appears

The Papers NEVER lie, ever. :pac:

If Torres plays well Thursday night I'd start with him Sunday.

Silva missing for City could be huge for us, although they could just slot Aguero in to his position.

Good player that Silva is having Aguero to replace him is fantastic for City he is also a great player.

Our record against City is quite poor of late we really need to be on the ball Sunday but then of course Fulham on Wednesday is a must win as our league run in is quite tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

I think he has a very good point. He's obviously very ambitious and the comedown from winning the Champions League last year to be playing in the Europa League this year must be very frustrating.

It must also be very distracting to have the Europa League on a Thursday when you're still fighting for a Champions League spot in the league at the weekend.

Whilst winning the Europa League would be another trophy, attempting to win it could get in the way of achieving even greater glory for both himself and the club in the near future.

Well, looks like Lucas Piazon could be playing in the Champions League semi-final... Wowza. Well done to Malaga!

Didier Drogba also scored for Galatasaray, who are beating Real 3-1 on the night, but at 4-3 on aggregate and an away goal, Galatasaray need 2 goals in less than 5 minutes. Not happening, but good to see them win at home anyway.

Eh, actually no... Poor Lucas doesn't get to go to the semi-final. Man United in disguise just skutched Malaga. Wow.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement