Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Easy games either side of the Thursday league games thats good

Munich V Barca, Dortmund V RM, hopefully that see's Barca out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

EL final is on May 15th if we get there thats another game to add into the list between villa and Everton. :o

GavRedKing wrote: »
    EL final is on May 15th if we get there thats another game to add into the list between villa and Everton. :o

And when we win it we will be the only team to hold the Champions League and the Europa League titles at the same time :D

And when we win it we will be the only team to hold the Champions League and the Europa League titles at the same time :D

Chelsea, making history since 2003. :cool: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Munich V Barca, Dortmund V RM, hopefully that see's Barca out.

hopefully, but I can see Messi shining and getting them through, the last leg is at the camp nou..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

That's not exactly the history we want to be associated with do because it goes hand and hand with being the first holders of the cl to be dumped out in the group stages.

You do have to wonder about the brains at Chelsea, our interim has done well because we are in two semi finals. Shame RDM was not extended the same consideration after winning two finals?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8633509?

He was though, he was given a contract after all that and he got us knocked out of the UCL and was turfed out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Barnard admitted Basel were the team they were hoping to draw in the semi-finals of the Europa League despite the Swiss side showing their worth by knocking out Tottenham in the quarter-finals.

"I think before the draw was made we would have hoped for Basel having known both Benfica and Fenerbahce, but then Basel have just put out our colleagues from the Premier League Tottenham and were responsible last season for Manchester United not getting through the group stage [in the Champions League] so it is going to be a tough game.".

Well that will come back to haunt us , why say you were hoping for a certain team, keep it in house , if anything your giving the opposition motivation as the club obviously think of Basel as lesser opponents than Benfica/Fenerbache.

Its like Faulty towers up there in the Chelsea Hierarchy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The Champions League is now very hard to call. I could not confidently say who I think will win it. Any of the 4 teams on offer have a good chance. Obviously, Dortmund are probably the biggest outsiders, but even then not by much.

I really, really, REALLY hope that anyone but Barcelona wins it. I also DO NOT want to see an El Scrapico final. Bayern v. Real or Barca v. Dortmund would be palatable. An El Scrapico final would be class on paper, but would turn into a farce and god help the poor sod of a referee if it happens.

Back on topic, I'm happy enough with the EL draw. Basel are no longer a "surprise package". They've done it well against English opposition in the past 2 seasons, so they will not be underestimated. Not a gruelling away journey. I'd also be happy enough that the experience of Chelsea at business ends of tournaments will be a key factor in the games.

In the other semi-final, it's hit or miss. On the night, either of them could progress. If Chelsea get to the final, I'd also be quietly confident about winning against either of Benfica or Fenerbache (both of whom Chelsea have encountered and beaten in the Champions League within the last few years).

I've often said it in a tongue-in-cheek manner that I'd love to see Chelsea winning the UEFA Cup/Europa League at some point; it's the one trophy (apart from that Club World Cup thing) that I've never seen them win. Every other trophy that they've been eligible to play in for the last 20 or so years they've won at least once. The club has never won the UEFA Cup/EL in its day. Much as it might be the second-fiddle European Competition, it'd be a trophy and it would mean that Chelsea would have won all European club competitions. Would also give the club another crack at the UEFA Super Cup after the disaster in last season's Super Cup.

This season actually has a chance to finish on huge positives; there is a chance of 2 trophies and a chance of finishing in the Top 4. Everything is also in their own hands. There is no relying on other results to see it through.

Fingers crossed the squad can take the trainwreck of fixtures coming up and avoid injury to key players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Great stuff from the Youth team to win 2-0 at Anfield. Some real great players we have coming through. Probably won't get a chance though. :( Davey, Loftus-Cheek, Boga, Baker and Feruz are all very good players.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Johner wrote: »
    Great stuff from the Youth team to win 2-0 at Anfield. Some real great players we have coming through. Probably won't get a chance though. :( Davey, Loftus-Cheek, Boga, Baker and Feruz are all very good players.

I only saw the first half and I thought Boga in particular was excellent

Is it true that Ruben Loftus-Cheek earns £1.7 million per year. That's over 30k per week by my estimations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

amiable wrote: »
    Is it true that Ruben Loftus-Cheek earns £1.7 million per year. That's over 30k per week by my estimations.

I think he gets a mere 900,000 and the once off add-ons make up the 1.7 million. Not sure how he gets by on that money, xbox games are quite expensive these days.

Looks a good player and supposedly some of the other big spenders were sniffing after him, so maybe he will turn out to be worth it. Or maybe he will be a Kakuta, the next big thing that never was.

I only saw the first half and I thought Boga in particular was excellent

Boga looks a bit special.

Boga looks a bit special.

On what I saw tonight I'd agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

still on itv 4 +1

He's only just turned 16 as well which is quite scary!

He's only just turned 16 as well.

That's amazing. He looks destined for the top. Rossiter who played in midfield tonight for Liverpool is only 15. Scary thinking how good some of these kids are.

• Advertisement

That's amazing. He looks destined for the top. Rossiter who played in midfield tonight for Liverpool is only 15. Scary thinking how good some of these kids are.

The winger for Liverpool looked really good. Can't remember his name though.

Jordon Ibe. He's been in the first team squad already. He's better than Sterling IMO.

Chelsea are bound to have a couple of players out of that crop.

still on itv 4 +1

No chance Sgt. Catching up on Game of thrones

Jordon Ibe. He's been in the first team squad already. He's better than Sterling IMO.

Chelsea are bound to have a couple of a couple of players out of that crop.

Yeah he reminded me of Sterling with a bit more about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Jordan ibe! Made the bench v southampton a few weeks ago. Hes alot like sterling but hes very built for his age and just as quick, quite the prospect along with a few others we have. Ive watched most games between us and ye at reserve level and ye have a fair share of talent yerselves, i see ake has made a breakthrough for ye, never thought id see it with ye giving the constant bringing in of quality everywhere most transfer windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Benítez expected to become the first manager to drop both Frank Lampard and John Terry for a major semi-final or final.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9991060/Chelsea-v-Manchester-City-manager-Rafael-Benitez-to-drop-Frank-Lampard-and-John-Terry-for-FA-Cup-semi.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Van Persie has now gone 658 minutes without a goal in a Manchester United shirt (and it does seem interesting that perennially taunted Fernando Torres has just three fewer goals this season)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

justshane wrote: »
    Van Persie has now gone 658 minutes without a goal in a Manchester United shirt (and it does seem interesting that perennially taunted Fernando Torres has just three fewer goals this season)

Delighted for him, but let's hope he doesn't re-find his scoring form ever.

Anyone see that farce in the emirates ? Norwich robbed , that's the moment Arsenal qualify at Chelsea's expense , another undeserved CL for arsenal .
    And selfish fat Benny will prioritise the cups for his own CV

Sickened I am , SICKENED

forget Jose coming back , he won't want Europa league football

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I was gonna say I checked the score and it ended 3-1 to Arsenal. Hardly a poor result..... until I checked further. 85th minute penalty, 86th minute O.G. and a goal in the dying minutes for Arsenal. What a joke.

I wouldn't worry. If Arsenal qualify for the CL, it will be at Spurs' expense, not ours.

Benitez MIGHT win 2 trophies here, but his league finish (seeing as how crucial that is in modern football) will also be under scrutiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

the_monkey wrote: »
    Anyone see that farce in the emirates ? Norwich robbed , that's the moment Arsenal qualify at Chelsea's expense , another undeserved CL for arsenal .

Sickened I am , SICKENED

Arsenal show a bit of steel and you throw your toys out of the pram. By all accounts Arsenal were fantastic in the last 10 minutes and had gotten a bit of bad luck with the woodwork previously. They have been doing it all season.

DazMarz wrote: »
    I was gonna say I checked the score and it ended 3-1 to Arsenal. Hardly a poor result..... until I checked further. 85th minute penalty, 86th minute O.G. and a goal in the dying minutes for Arsenal. What a joke.

I wouldn't worry. If Arsenal qualify for the CL, it will be at Spurs' expense, not ours.

Benitez MIGHT win 2 trophies here, but his league finish (seeing as how crucial that is in modern football) will also be under scrutiny.

Doubt it , remember we have to play united and Liverpool AWAY , arsenal have an easy run in ( they always do )
    We be lucky to pick up 2 pts from those two fixtures ... Bye bye UCL and any chance of Jose returning

Call me negative but check here in may

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Sickened I am , SICKENED

I wasn't convinced by the linesman calling the penalty, but the 3rd goal in particular was pretty savage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'll be very surprised if you's miss out instead of spurs. Saying that, I'm surprised you's even got dragged into it to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I'll be very surprised if you's miss out instead of spurs. Saying that, I'm surprised you's even got dragged into it to begin with.

saying it like Arsenal are already there.....:rolleyes:

COUNTING CHICKENS HATCHING

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

saying it like Arsenal are already there.....:rolleyes:

COUNTING CHICKENS HATCHING

I've been confidant of Arsenal finishing in the top four since the start of the season. Still am.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I've been confidant of Arsenal finishing in the top four since the start of the season. Still am.

Of course they always overachieve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Of course they always overachieve

The bitterness is strong in this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Hopeful rather than soooooper confident against City today. Who starts up front?

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Hopeful rather than soooooper confident against City today. Who starts up front?

Going on current form I'd go for torres, also heard a couple of pundits basically writhing us off but we owe city a good kicking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Duck Soup wrote: »

Torres, I'd imagine.

From Daily Mail
    Chelsea are close to signing £20million Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Andre Schurrle as they continue to rebuild for next season - despite not having yet appointed a managerial successor to interim boss Rafa Benitez.
    Sources close to the deal believe the 22-year-old attacking midfielder, capped 22 times by Germany, will join next month.
    With Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao also expected to move to Stamford Bridge - despite reports of a link with Manchester United last week - in a £45m move, Chelsea are ready for another big spending summer.

Torres, I'd imagine.

From Daily Mail

I'd imagine that if cfc are going to be buying players before a new manager is instilled then it shows that there is no change of direction with how the club is running its transfer policy and if that's the case I don't believe Jose would be interested in coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Feck it anyway, loads of spares going today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Phoenix wrote: »
    Match threads here lads,and in the Chelsea Supporters Group here
    KTBFF

Could you add me to the supporters group when you get a chance please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

What do ya's all think ? On a positive note its another game we don't have to fit into our schedule but to be fair I'm gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

kev1.3s wrote: »
    What do ya's all think ? On a positive note its another game we don't have to fit into our schedule but to be fair I'm gutted.

I think I'd rather quite like having the bother of having to play an FA cup final against Wigan.

Can't say I'm overly pee'd about the result, ref was crap and we couldv'e had a peno but the damage was done long before then. Can't wait till next season hopefully will mean we have a sorted defense (new faces and / or different tactics).

I think I'd rather quite like having the bother of having to play an FA cup final against Wigan.

Can't say I'm overly pee'd about the result, ref was crap and we couldv'e had a peno but the damage was done long before then. Can't wait till next season hopefully will mean we have a sorted defense (new faces and / or different tactics).

As I already said I'd rather the fa than the europa.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Nothing worse than losing to a bad refereeing performance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement