Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

It really isn't rafa fault, It's the owners fault. Why he got rid of Ancellotti i'll never know. He didn't give AVB a chance either and he looks like he will do a super job with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭weiland79

It has to be said lads, we cannot defend to save our lives. You can't say that you didn't sit there and watch us literally hoof the ball up the pitch for the last 15 mins. Every player on the team is guilty of this and Cech as the captain is very poor at controlling the tempo of his distribution and the game in general. For me Mikel is a total disaster, I know why he's there and what job he has to do but for me the last few weeks have shown that he is really not up to the job. Oscar, Mata and Hazard they are really not providing the threat that they where brought in to do. Am I wrong when I say that we actually didn't create a single chance in the first half apart from Oscars goal? Why is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Garzorico wrote: »
    I'd wouldnt be disappointed if Rafa was given the job full time. He's seen the 'transition' between old/new guard pretty seamlessly. He clearly has a plan and it seems that he knows what he is doing. I'd give him 3 yrs and then see where we are. I'd love to see him qualify for ECL and win the Europa League. He's a character too.

lol, good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

My thoughts:

- Absolutely sickened at that last kick in the gut. That said, we made that problem for ourselves with our total inability to retain possession and close out the game.

- Mikel's palpable lack of energy and interest in defence is really frustrating. And it's not like he offers much going

- Hazard has ice in his veins. Great penalty despite a lot of gamesmanship from Liverpool.

- Danny Sturridge showed more energy in 45 minutes than he did for the last year of his Chelsea career.

- Leaving aside the righteous indignation over Suarez, Ivan's reaction was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Garzorico wrote: »
    What's with the Spuds love in? World class players? I think not. I wouldn't swap any of our starting 11 for any of theirs. They've one good player on a good run of form; Bale. I wouldn't take him either for any of ours in his position.

Squeaky bum time now til the end of the season.

Verthongen, Bale and Dembele would all be an addition to Chelsea's starting 11 imo,

A player of Dembele's ability behind the trio of Oscar, Hazard and Mata to break up the play & start attacks would be a serious prospect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Verthongen, Bale and Dembele would all be an addition to Chelsea's starting 11 imo,

A player of Dembele's ability behind the trio of Oscar, Hazard and Mata to break up the play & start attacks would be a serious prospect

Vertongen & Bale definitely. Not convinced with Dembele at all. Actually I'd probably take Parker over Mikel too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

Actually I'd probably take Parker over Mikel too.

Which is kind of ironic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Top marks to Ivanovic for resisting the temptation to knock Suarez's teeth onside today.

Still want Spurs to get in the top 4 though :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Chelsea looked comfortable enough today, everything under control. That result today wouldn't cost you top 4.

Though looking at the goal again, Cech could've done a lot better with the Suarez header, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We've top 4 in our sights, a point today is all most were expecting before kick off and a point is better then none at this stage.

We've the simple task of beating Spurs at The Bridge and that should make sure we finish top 4.

Utd will have the leage won and Everton have faded away, put this result behind us and move on its all we can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Liverpool are a very poor team before the game I thought we should beat them (and said so), nothing that happened yesterday changed my mind. Liverpool are years away from the Champions League, we dropped two precious points because of one man and what appears to be a love in with our opposition yesterday.

But the main fault lays with Roman how he could sack a decent hard working manager (OK maybe not out of the top drawer but Chelsea through and through) and replace him with that fool is beyond me.

You can blame the ref for missing the bite (in this instance I wouldn't it is such an unusual thing to happen, though he was on a yellow at that point) he should have seen the Studge challenge on Bert though. But that aside we should have seen such a poor side off with absolute ease.

We've a terrible record at Anfield in the last few years, if anything we bucked a trend yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We've a terrible record at Anfield in the last few years, if anything we bucked a trend yesterday.

I really do hate when we play Liverpool, well I'm always nervous that we won't get a result, regardless of how bad they've been playing. They seem to have a real chip on their shoulder for us. I'm not not sure why but they seem to give us that bit more effort.

Essien wrote: »
    I really do hate when we play Liverpool, well I'm always nervous that we won't get a result, regardless of how bad they've been playing. They seem to have a real chip on their shoulder for us. I'm not not sure why but they seem to give us that bit more effort.

They always do, they're problem at home has been against the smaller temas, the teams around them.

They've put in good shifts aginst the bigger teams but when the Villas and West Broms of the world show up they blow it.

As long as we get top 4 I couldnt give a toss what goes on down Anfield or anywhere else TBH, we've been p*ss poor this season in patches and for large parts of games we;ve been dominated by average to ok teams, another example of it yesterday, countless examples in the league and Europa League too, if our lot cant play consistently enough there'll be no title challenges no matter who comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

if our lot cant play consistently enough there'll be no title challenges no matter who comes in.

We won't get consistent performances while the managerial merry go round is in full swing. Hopefully the Jose rumours are true and we get our real manager back for the long haul. [/daydreaming]

Hoping in the next week :

Utd to beat Arsenal, us to beat Swansea, Spurs to drop points agsint wigan.

Shoud put the table as :

3rd - Chelsea 34games - 66pts
    4th - Arsenal 35 games - 63pts
    5th - Spurs 34 games - 62pts

current table is :

3rd - Arsenal 34 games - 63pts
    4th - Chelsea 33 games - 62pts
    5th - Spurs 33 games - 61pts

It's so important we beat Swansea, we've Utd away, Spurs at Home, Villa away and Everton at Home.

I can see us picking up 12 points, beating everyone except Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Hoping in the next week :

Utd to beat Arsenal, us to beat Swansea, Spurs to drop points agsint wigan.

Shoud put the table as :

3rd - Chelsea 34games - 66pts
    4th - Arsenal 35 games - 63pts
    5th - Spurs 34 games - 62pts

current table is :

3rd - Arsenal 34 games - 63pts
    4th - Chelsea 33 games - 62pts
    5th - Spurs 33 games - 61pts

It's so important we beat Swansea, we've Utd away, Spurs at Home, Villa away and Everton at Home.

When did the 4 points for a win rule come in ? ;)

greendom wrote: »
    When did the 4 points for a win rule come in ? ;)

5 games left.

Beat Swansea, Spurs, Villa, Everton - 4 games x 3 pts = 12. :confused:

Maybe my post wasnt clear enough but I was counting Swansea as part of the results with the latter teams mentioned.

• Advertisement

Ye won't pick up 12 points from 15 not the way ye are playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

5 games left.

Maybe my post wasnt clear enough but I was counting Swansea as part of the results with the latter teams mentioned.

Its that you move from 62 to 66 points after beating Swansea :D

5 games left.

He meant you have chelsea on 66 points after beating swans next week. However ye are now on 62 points !!!!....4 points for a win?

greendom wrote: »
    Its that you move from 62 to 66 points after beating Swansea :D

The FA will give us an extra poitn for Suarez biting Ivanovic is what I meant.

Got away with that one....pheeeeeeew

:pac:

Ye won't pick up 12 points from 15 not the way ye are playing.

Swansea, nothing to play for.
    Spurs, wont beat us at home and they have to at worse a draw.
    Villa, shambles, will crumble.
    Everton, nothing to play for , we'll beat them.

Thats also not factoring in Utd who after tonight will be champions.

12 points is easily achievable from 5 games.

These two comments are from the Liverpool thread

From guardian

Quote:
    Ivanovic was reportedly spoken to by Surrey Police when the team arrived back at Chelsea's Cobham training ground last night after complaints made to Merseyside police were passed on to their southern colleagues, who wanted to ascertain whether the defender had sustained any injury. That was found not to be the case and Ivanovic told police he did not want to make a complaint.

Chelsea also now consider the matter closed but will co-operate with any FA investigation should it be necessary.
    Luis is lucky that Ivanovic is shrugging this off.

We're lucky that Rafa's in charge there and presumably calling the shots. Any other manager yesterday would have made a much bigger fuss about the whole thing.

These comments make all the more disgraceful that this person is in charge of our club. How can Roman not see this we are now officially a laughing stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

From guardian

Quote:
    Ivanovic was reportedly spoken to by Surrey Police when the team arrived back at Chelsea's Cobham training ground last night after complaints made to Merseyside police were passed on to their southern colleagues, who wanted to ascertain whether the defender had sustained any injury. That was found not to be the case and Ivanovic told police he did not want to make a complaint.

Chelsea also now consider the matter closed but will co-operate with any FA investigation should it be necessary.

We're lucky that Rafa's in charge there and presumably calling the shots. Any other manager yesterday would have made a much bigger fuss about the whole thing.

These comments make all the more disgraceful that this person is in charge of our club. How can Roman not see this we are now officially a laughing stock
    Rafa was pushed by the press last week too about somebody should have been sent off against Chelsea and he said he doesn't comment on players.

Its better the club are letting it go, its a matter for the FA not the lawyers or the police.

I'd rather no reaction from the club or any club official then the over reaction of SAF etc etc.

It says it in the statement, the club will co-operate with any investigation if necessary, there will be an investigation by the FA, so let it all be done behind closed doors and quickly.

No point going gung ho with this like the Mikel/Clattenburg incident and the JT court case,the club has learned a valuable PR lesson this year.

amiable wrote: »
    Rafa was pushed by the press last week too about somebody should have been sent off against Chelsea and he said he doesn't comment on players.

BS a player comes into the dressing room with a bite mark on his body and you don't back him. Utter tripe I didn't think our interim could sink any lower than the gutter well how wrong was I.

And he does not comment on players well why did he call Drogba a cheat and Lamps over rated. His Liverpool love fest was obvious yesterday with his wave and smile to the fans (he is also on record of saying he does not hear the chants of fans as he is too busy concentrating another blatant lie by the sound of it to me), his little smile when Suarez scored and his refusal to back his player against Liveropool.

That person should never have been left in the door at Chelsea, who ever suggested him I hope is sacked only good thing is the season is nearly over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

This really has little to do with Rafa, I think it's pretty stupid to think it does. If Ivanovic wanted to push this more he would and he'd be allowed too. I don't think he wants to though, there is little benefit/point for him to do it. The FA will deal with it anyway and it's a lot of hassle getting the police involved.

This really has little to do with Rafa, I think it's pretty stupid to think it does. If Ivanovic wanted to push this more he would and he'd be allowed too. I don't think he wants to though, there is little benefit/point for him to do it. The FA will deal with it anyway and it's a lot of hassle getting the police involved.

This ^

There's no point really, it was a match incident and the FA will deal with because the ref or his assistants couldnt see it happening.

• Advertisement

Thinking of it you know what the most annoying thing about the Suarez bite is, there is very little talk as to our tactical genius's total cock up yesterday by any of the press anywhere. It is no wonder he backed Suarez he knew it would deflect attention from his total mishandling of the game.

Only a Liverpool supporter would have taken Haz and Mata off, only a Liverpool supporter would have put Benni on, only a Liverpool supporter would have left Torres on the pitch.

In my opinion Gav you are wrong the club should not let this drop. The same as they had no choice but to report Clattenberg when a complaint was made one of the players has suffered an assault and that should not be dropped.

Are you for real Chucky it has little to do with our interim that he did not stand up for his player and try and put pressure on refs for his club yesterday?

He made a total horlics of yesterday's match even a Liverpool supporter could not defend his substitutions and he compounded this with his performance in the press conference. Oh just give Spurs 4th now and let this season finish.

Thinking of it you know what the most annoying thing about the Suarez bite is, there is very little talk as to our tactical genius's total cock up yesterday by any of the press anywhere. It is no wonder he backed Suarez he knew it would deflect attention from his total mishandling of the game.

Only a Liverpool supporter would have taken Haz and Mata off, only a Liverpool supporter would have put Benni on, only a Liverpool supporter would have left Torres on the pitch.

Youre clutching at straws here, he and the players were about 2 seconds away from a good hard fought 3 points yesterday, in fact Liverpool should have been level alot earlier and could have won the game IMO, Gerrard missing a sitter, Shelvey missing a sitter, Sturridge hitting the post and Cech making decent saves.

We were dominated yesterday by a poor team but for arguments sake, it was our strongest XI bar a few judgement calls, teh XI out there were by far 2nd best for a good 2/3's of the game, not really Rafas fault if the players dont perform.

He cant shoulder all the balme, he will with the majority of people but thats due to the irrational hatred due to his Liverpool ties.
    In my opinion Gav you are wrong the club should not let this drop. The same as they had no choice but to report Clattenberg when a complaint was made one of the players has suffered an assault and that should not be dropped.

They asked Mikel did he want to pursue it, I presume they asked Ivanovic yesterday did he want to pursue it and Ivanovic didnt want to, the club backs its player, same as the way we backed Mikel in the Clattenburg incident.

If Ivanovic, the victim here, doesnt want to complain then the club should and have rightly dropped it, leave it with the FA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

From guardian

Quote:

Perhaps its not all Rafa, but maybe some of it is down to the man who appointed him?
    D'ont think Benitez appointed himself?

Are you for real Chucky it has little to do with our interim that he did not stand up for his player and try and put pressure on refs for his club yesterday?

He made a total horlics of yesterday's match even a Liverpool supporter could not defend his substitutions and he compounded this with his performance in the press conference. Oh just give Spurs 4th now and let this season finish.

I never commented on his substitutions or how he managed the game. During the post match interview the only thing he talked about was how he couldn't understand where all that extra-time came from.

Youre clutching at straws here, he and the players were about 2 seconds away from a good hard fought 3 points yesterday, in fact Liverpool should have been level alot earlier and could have won the game IMO, Gerrard missing a sitter, Shelvey missing a sitter, Sturridge hitting the post and Cech making decent saves.

We were dominated yesterday by a poor team but for arguments sake, it was our strongest XI bar a few judgement calls, teh XI out there were by far 2nd best for a good 2/3's of the game, not really Rafas fault if the players dont perform.

He cant shoulder all the balme, he will with the majority of people but thats due to the irrational hatred due to his Liverpool ties.

You admit we were dominated by a poor team and I am clutching at straws, fair play you brought a smile to my face.

He is not up to it can you explain why Torres was on the pitch at the end? can you explain why Haz was replaced by Benni? Can you explain why we were pumping long balls into Torres none of which stuck with Ba on the bench? Can you explain how JT can play in a match score twice and keep a clean sheet stays on the bench for the entire match?

He can and should shoulder the blame to say other wise is living in a fools paradise in my humble opinion. The only person to shoulder more blame is Roman for employing him.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Perhaps its not all Rafa, but maybe some of it is down to the man who appointed him?
    D'ont think Benitez appointed himself?

Not some Hidalgo all of the blame lays with him. I wouldn't blame our interim for taking the job he had not worked at a high level for years it was a chance to put himself in the window you cannot blame him for that.

But Roman buck stops with you there.

Also, the club aren't letting this drop. They'll just let the video do the talking for them.

I never commented on his substitutions or how he managed the game. During the post match interview the only thing he talked about was how he couldn't understand where all that extra-time came from.

Funny was expecting 6 or 7 minutes as there were subs and a lot of wasted time over the peno, Bert tackle and the bite incident I actually thought that was reasonable. Though the extra 40 or 50 seconds over the 6 minutes were difficult to explain we should have seen it out.

You admit we were dominated by a poor team and I am clutching at straws, fair play you brought a smile to my face.
    We've been domianted by worse sides and better sides this season in equal amounts, our players arent consistent enough, maybe its a by-product of playing in 7 competitions as we've rotated so much.
    He is not up to it can you explain why Torres was on the pitch at the end? can you explain why Haz was replaced by Benni? Can you explain why we were pumping long balls into Torres none of which stuck with Ba on the bench? Can you explain how JT can play in a match score twice and keep a clean sheet stays on the bench for the entire match?

Torres IMO, shoudlnt have started, keep Torres for Thursday night but he wanted to play him, I am and neither is anyone outside of the club, able to watch these players in training during the week, maybe Torres was better then Ba in training?

Hazard was being rested for Thursday, whenhe and Mata came off the game had slowed down and we looked like we'd see it out. I'd be more concerned with leaving Mikel on. I would have started JT over Ivanovic, IMO Ivanovic got caught for the 1st goal as he was in no mans land between Suarez and Sturridge and was to late to recover.
    He can and should shoulder the blame to say other wise is living in a fools paradise in my humble opinion. The only person to shoulder more blame is Roman for employing him.

he'll be gone in may,hopefully we'll be in 3rd/4th and he can go away and do what he wants, everyone is happy.

• Advertisement

Apologies you didn't comment on the subs and game management my bad

Alot of the extra time came from Reina and Carragher acting the bollix after the awarding of the peno.

BS a player comes into the dressing room with a bite mark on his body and you don't back him. Utter tripe I didn't think our interim could sink any lower than the gutter well how wrong was I.

And he does not comment on players well why did he call Drogba a cheat and Lamps over rated. His Liverpool love fest was obvious yesterday with his wave and smile to the fans (he is also on record of saying he does not hear the chants of fans as he is too busy concentrating another blatant lie by the sound of it to me), his little smile when Suarez scored and his refusal to back his player against Liveropool.

That person should never have been left in the door at Chelsea, who ever suggested him I hope is sacked only good thing is the season is nearly over.
    Have you seen this bite mark?
    The interview was right after the game.

Funny was expecting 6 or 7 minutes as there were subs and a lot of wasted time over the peno, Bert tackle and the bite incident I actually thought that was reasonable. Though the extra 40 or 50 seconds over the 6 minutes were difficult to explain we should have seen it out.

Was there not another injury during the stoppage time?

Alot of the extra time came from Reina and Carragher acting the bollix after the awarding of the peno.

Only doing what Ivanovic and Cech may have done themselves.
    Players try to gain an edge. It didn't work out yesterday.

Actually yes there was a very clear photograph (of the bite) on twitter yesterday evening. Are you saying our interim had no time to talk to Ivan before it, that he did not know about it.

Only doing what Ivanovic and Cech may have done themselves.
    Players try to gain an edge. It didn't work out yesterday.

Kind of did in the 96 min & 45 secs :pac:

Actually yes there was a very clear photograph (of the bite) on twitter yesterday evening. Are you saying our interim had no time to talk to Ivan before it, that he did not know about it.

Can you post that picture?
    I'm saying your manager may or may not have talked to him in detail so soon after the game.
    I wouldn't know as I wasn't in the dressing room and I suspect you weren't either.

Kind of did in the 96 min & 45 secs :pac:

I meant more towards the outcome of the penalty.
    I doubt Carragher and Reina were thinking at that stage of added time.

• Advertisement

Can you post that picture?
    I'm saying your manager may or may not have talked to him in detail so soon after the game.
    I wouldn't know as I wasn't in the dressing room and I suspect you weren't either.

I am not going to waste my time finding the picture to post for you, its there find it yourself. Or do you deny it ever happened?

No I was not in the dressing room I doubt our interim was neither most likely catching up on old friends. Anyway I am bored with your interim love in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement