Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Bale scores.

Edit - Own goal actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH FCUK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

A draw is still a good result for us if we win tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

A draw is still an excellent result for Chelsea. Will be tight on Wigan though, they deserve the win in all honesty.

If we win tomoorow we'll be 3 points clear of Spurs....come on now Chelsea dont f**k it up.

*cough cough*
    Gameweek 35

Man City 3 - 1 West Ham
    Everton 2 - 0 Fulham
    Southampton 3 - 1West Brom
    Stoke 2 - 0 Norwich
    Wigan 2 - 2 Tottenham
    Newcastle 1 - 2 Liverpool

Greatest correct score I've ever had on the prediction thread :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Feckin hate when other teams get last minute goals:mad:

*cough cough*

Greatest correct score I've ever had on the prediction thread :p

The rest of the results are pretty ****e :pac:

I'd say mine are worse then yours TBH.

Dont think I got 1 right.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The rest of the results are pretty ****e :pac:

I'd say mine are worse then yours TBH.

Dont think I got 1 right.

Hey 3 points is a good week for me, he he. Mid table mediocrity all the way!

Hey 3 points is a good week for me, he he. Mid table mediocrity all the way!

I think I'm 20th of 36, poor showing really. :pac:

Liverpool going to town on Newcastle as we speak.

The current table is making for good viewing, now with Spurs dropping points we've to win at all costs.

If Utd beat or take points off Arsenal we'll be 3rd with a game in hand over Arsenal and 3 points clear of spurs with something like a + 8 GD or more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

If we win tomoorow we'll be 3 points clear of Spurs....come on now Chelsea dont f**k it up.

Well, well, well... I did not see that result coming. At all. Delighted.

It is immaterial whether Spurs drew or lost today, either result is bad for them. Should Chelsea win tomorrow, there are 3 points between Chelsea and Spurs. But Chelsea's far superior goal difference means it is almost as good as 4 points.

Chelsea now have a huge initiative handed to them going into the game tomorrow against the Swans. A nice win and a clean sheet is ideal as it puts points on the board and does the goal difference a favour.

If Chelsea win tomorrow, it is one huge step into the Top 4.

The ideal result between United and Arsenal tomorrow is also a draw; takes points from Arsenal and also means that United can't break the points record. United have even less to play for when they play Chelsea if that happens. So fingers crossed.

It behooves Chelsea not to fúck it up tomorrow now. A win tomorrow puts proper daylight between Chelsea and the chasing pack (particularly Spurs). And dependent on the result from the Emirates, it could be an incredibly positive weekend for Chelsea.

The Chelsea players now know what they have to do. They know what is required. They now have to go out and do it, and this season can very easily be salvaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Oops.
    lampard.jpg?w=599#038;h=308

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Oops.

Not good... Not good at all... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

DazMarz wrote: »
    Well, well, well... I did not see that result coming. At all. Delighted.

It is immaterial whether Spurs drew or lost today, either result is bad for them. Should Chelsea win tomorrow, there are 3 points between Chelsea and Spurs. But Chelsea's far superior goal difference means it is almost as good as 4 points.

Chelsea now have a huge initiative handed to them going into the game tomorrow against the Swans. A nice win and a clean sheet is ideal as it puts points on the board and does the goal difference a favour.

If Chelsea win tomorrow, it is one huge step into the Top 4.

The ideal result between United and Arsenal tomorrow is also a draw; takes points from Arsenal and also means that United can't break the points record. United have even less to play for when they play Chelsea if that happens. So fingers crossed.

It behooves Chelsea not to fúck it up tomorrow now. A win tomorrow puts proper daylight between Chelsea and the chasing pack (particularly Spurs). And dependent on the result from the Emirates, it could be an incredibly positive weekend for Chelsea.

The Chelsea players now know what they have to do. They know what is required. They now have to go out and do it, and this season can very easily be salvaged.
    No disrespect to Swansea, but I'd be expecting Chelsea to capitalise with a comfortable victory with the legwork done in the first half. If we can then close out Basel, we can then concentrate completely on the Premiership for the rest of the season.

Arsenal dropping points would be the icing on the cake - two would be ideal for the reasons you stated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,761 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Oops.
    That's a paddlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

No match thread.

I am disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Team: Cech; Azpi, JT(c), Cahill, Cole; Rami, Luiz; Oscar, Mata, Hazard; Ba. Subs: Turn,Iva,Bert,Lamps,Yossi,Torres,Mikel

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Team: Cech; Azpi, JT(c), Cahill, Cole; Rami, Luiz; Oscar, Mata, Hazard; Ba. Subs: Turn,Iva,Bert,Lamps,Yossi,Torres,Mikel

That's our strongest XI in IMO.

We should get 3 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

That's our strongest XI in IMO.

We should get 3 points.

Why isn't Moses there?Injured?

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Why isn't Moses there?Injured?

Most be, at least out strongest XI is out, they should have enough.

Call on Lamps, Torres if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Are we not on the box today?

weiland79 wrote: »
    Are we not on the box today?

Nope that privilege belongs to Arsenal v Utd and rightly so IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Most be, at least out strongest XI is out, they should have enough.

Call on Lamps, Torres if needed.

I agree this is our best possible starting eleven.

• Advertisement

Brilliant weekend for Chelsea: Spurs and Arsenal drop points, Chelsea win and are sitting in 3rd now, and now United cannot break the points record.

All things considered, it could not have gone much better, really. Maybe if Spurs had lost. But beggars can't be choosers. It's a very good weekend for Chelsea. Happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Best possible result at Arsenal.

We can only throw UCL qualification away at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Lovely stuff. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

Correct me if I'm wrong but:
    If we beat Spurs and win 1 other game we should be guaranteed at least 4th with our superior goal difference.

It means we would pick up at least 6 while it would mean they pick up 9, our g/d should see us through unless they hammer other teams our we get hammered.

So ya, gotta beat Spurs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Killinator wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but:
    If we beat Spurs and win 1 other game we should be guaranteed at least 4th with our superior goal difference.

It means we would pick up at least 6 while it would mean they pick up 9, our g/d should see us through unless they hammer other teams our we get hammered.

So ya, gotta beat Spurs!

Chelsea can afford to lose to spurs and qualify...ye now favourites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Not a bad performance today, not sure how we only scored 2 against a very poor swansea with all the sitters there. Really don't think we're far from being a strong side, for me 1 centre back is the only starting position I'd like to see changed (Terry relegated to the bench). Up front I think Lukaku should be given a run at being top dog, Ba and Torres aren't good enough but are decent 2nd choices and I don't think we need a big money signing like Falcao.

If we get Schurrle I reckon we have to ship on Ba or Torres, 4 strikers is too many for a team who play with one up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

Chelsea can afford to lose to spurs and qualify...ye now favourites

Possibly, but rather not take the chance, beat Spurs and it should be enough without loading pressure in the last game

The bottom line of the whole affair now is this: beat Spurs. That will most likely guarantee (for all intents and purposes) that Chelsea finish in the Top 4.

Following today, I would have a sneaky feeling of possibly getting something from the United game. A draw up there would be grand.

4 games remain in the League: United away on Sunday 5th (4pm), Spurs home on Wednesday 8th (7:45pm), Villa away on Saturday 11th (12:45pm) and Everton home on Sunday 19th (4pm).

Chelsea currently sit 3rd in the league with 65 points. 34P 19W 8D 7L, GD is +33. If Chelsea somehow manage to get 10 points from the final 4 games, that brings the points total to 75, and would leave Chelsea sitting pretty.

Assuming Spurs win all their other games (apart from the game at the Bridge) and Arsenal win all theirs, that leaves them with points totals of 71 (Spurs) and 73 (Arsenal). Even a loss to United and providing Chelsea win their remaining games would leave Chelsea with 74. A loss to both United and Spurs leaves Chelsea with a points total of 71, but will see Spurs jump to 74 and leave Chelsea in 5th.

However, a draw between Chelsea and Spurs is also not a disaster (providing Chelsea do no worse than a draw at Old Trafford and win the remaining 2 games), as it leave Chelsea finishing with 73 along with Arsenal, Spurs finishing with 72. In that case, Chelsea could finish in either 3rd or 4th, depending on goal difference (Chelsea's is +33, Arsenal's is +30. Spurs' is the inferior one at +17).

The basic message is that Chelsea can afford to draw against United AND Spurs and still finish in the Top 4. Even losing to United would see Chelsea quite possibly finish in the Top 4, providing there is no loss to Spurs. However, lose to both, and it is nigh on impossible to finish in the Top 4 then.

Arsenal's run-in: QPR (A), Wigan (H) and Newcastle (A)

Spurs' run-in: Southampton (H), Chelsea (A), Stoke (A) and Sunderland (H)

Arsenal's run-in is easy on paper. However:

QPR are playing only for pride, but their shower of mercenaries will not put up much resistance, with most of them surely checking out future suitors as their relegation release clauses kick in.

Wigan will be a slippery one; they are finding their end of season form and are never down and out until the final whistle on the final day and they could do damage.

Newcastle are struggling at the moment, and if they need to get something from the last game, especially at home, they will do anything that is needed and could cause a big upset for Arsenal. I cannot see Newcastle lying down or going down as easily as they did against Liverpool.

Spurs' run in is also easy (apart from 1 fixture) on paper. But:

Southampton are playing well under Pochettino and losing on Saturday has semi-dragged them back into the mix of a relegation fight. They won't want to drop too many more points and stranger things have happened and they could nick a point in the Lane. Nothing's for sure.

[I'll ignore the Chelsea fixture for this rant as it's been discussed already].

Stoke are in the same boat as Southampton and the Britannia is a ground nobody likes going to. If Stoke are looking for points, Pulis will have the troops fired up and it wouldn't be surprising at all to see Stoke getting a result. Especially if they lose their next game and are fighting to stay out of the bottom 3.

And Sunderland are experiencing a renaissance of sorts under DiCanio and while they have possibly saved themselves with 2 very positive results against Newcastle and Sunderland, they are still not completely out of danger. And with last day jitters affecting everyone who has something to play for, who knows what can happen.

Sorry for the length of this, but that is how I've analysed the final few games for the 3 teams battling it out for the 2 Top 4 spots. It is still anyone's, but I have a feeling that there is a lot of drama left yet and until the final whistle blows on the 19th May, I don't think anything is for sure.

And just a point that will gall me for the rest of the season (and beyond if Chelsea don't get into the Top 4): QPR were finally put out of their fúcking misery today. They have 25 points. 4 of them, were gotten from Chelsea. Sickening. Chelsea got 1 point off QPR. Absolutely shocking. Had Chelsea won both of those games against that bloody relegation fodder, they'd be in 3rd comfortably on 70 points. To me, that is the greatest sickener of the entire season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

374770_442457099172265_224671695_n.jpg

I know he's not our player anymore but I was disgusted by Bose laughing as he walked down the tunnel after qpr were relegated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

DazMarz wrote: »
    And just a point that will gall me for the rest of the season (and beyond if Chelsea don't get into the Top 4): QPR were finally put out of their fúcking misery today. They have 25 points. 4 of them, were gotten from Chelsea. Sickening. Chelsea got 1 point off QPR. Absolutely shocking. Had Chelsea won both of those games against that bloody relegation fodder, they'd be in 3rd comfortably on 70 points. To me, that is the greatest sickener of the entire season.

excellent post and as you point out a lot of drama still to come, our fixtures are the more tricky but we are at the moment in the driving seat and as you pointed out above we lost far too many easy points this year against poor opposition but fact we are more likely to get points in the trickier fixtures than the easy ones, we've already beaten spurs and everton away and have proved that aside from a very poor ( almost criminal ) Clattenberg we are more than capable of beating Utd . I'm far more confident now of finishing in the top 4 than I was this time last week.

duploelabs wrote: »
    I know he's not our player anymore but I was disgusted by Bose laughing as he walked down the tunnel after qpr were relegated

Sure 'Arry was laughing with the Reading coaching staff as well.

Sure 'Arry only went to stick the boot in to Fernandes by putting him even further in the hole before his dream was shattered.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Sure 'Arry only went to stick the boot in to Fernandes by putting him even further in the hole before his dream was shattered.

As Daz pointed out losing 4 points to them is criminal, and we've also dropped 1 point to Reading from 2 goals up in the last f**king 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yes but Harry was never one of us (there's not a day that goes by that I'm not thankful for this)

duploelabs wrote: »
    Yes but Harry was never one of us (there's not a day that goes by that I'm not thankful for this)

At the time it was meant to be either Rafa or 'Arry, we got the better of two evils I feel.

Also well done to Hazard and Mata for making EPL Team of the Year last night.

I think Lamps will start against Basle in mid week. If Ramires is any way out of sorts I can see Lamps and Luiz falling into CM.

I'd fancy Lamps to be disciplined enough to do the job and protect our 2-1 lead.

Although if we score and we should they'll need 2 to draw and 3 to win providing we only score 1 at home.

I think Lamps will start against Basle in mid week. If Ramires is any way out of sorts I can see Lamps and Luiz falling into CM.

I'd fancy Lamps to be disciplined enough to do the job and protect our 2-1 lead.

Although if we score and we should they'll need 2 to draw and 3 to win providing we only score 1 at home.

In fairness I think frank coming on yesterday gave us the extra bite to get the result! I remember a couple of months ago I taught it was only a matter of time before it was announced that frank was signed up for another year but now I'm not so sure.
    Can't understand it this man has so much still to give:confused::confused:

complete guess work here but the club might not be offering a new deal to finance a big move for someone like Cavani/Falcao.

Sure we're losing some of the wages with plaeyrs contracts up but frank would free up a huge wedge, now if its the case the club has offered him a deal and hes said bollix to it then that's his own fault for being to greedy, if its the other way around then its a silly decision to make and one I expect to see JT following him out the door next year.

At the time it was meant to be either Rafa or 'Arry, we got the better of two evils I feel.
    Frying pan/fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Phoenix wrote: »
    I still think they should be looking to offload the likes of Malouda first over Super Frank!

They did but Malouda would not go as he would not get the same wages. He is gone at the end of the season with Yossi also out of contract.
    Still hope Frank stays but if moving forward could give a youngster a chance.

• Advertisement

Malouda, Yossi, Lamps will save us the guts of 300k gross a week.

Paolo F is gone that will save us about another 50k, plenty money to save and divide around the team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement