Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Not sure if you guys have already seen this but in any case, sound lad.

https://twitter.com/DavidLuiz_4/status/330100253300768768

there was some special needs kids over from ireland and he went and hung out with them after the game, class act

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Another May, another European Cup final, Benfica are for my money the more difficult of the 2 teams we could have played but we managed to beat themhome and awy the last time so I'd have uis as slight favourites in this final.

Luiz, Ramires and Matic all facing former teams should make it more interesting, going into the game with a full squad with no suspensions will be a big bonus for us.

It's been reported the Jose will take over sometime in July before we head to Asia on tour.

Some places have said hes had dinner with Roman in London. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Congrats on another European final.

Sparta Prague
    Steaua Bucharest
    Rubin Kazan
    Basel

Is a solid run of victories with the games coming thick and fast. Think the final will be a good one.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Congrats on another European final.

Sparta Prague
    Steaua Bucharest
    Rubin Kazan
    Basel

Is a solid run of victories with the games coming thick and fast. Think the final will be a good one.

The run is going to be very close for 3rd/4th and we've the final either side of 2 tricky games.

Utd (a)
    Spurs (h)
    Villa (a)
    Benfica
    Everton (h)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

So how impressed are ye with Nandos turn of form, good enough to keep at the club? I thought he was great last night, quick on his feet getting into dangerous positions and having a few shots on goal and of course the one going in. He really seems like a new man.

weiland79 wrote: »
    So how impressed are ye with Nandos turn of form, good enough to keep at the club? I thought he was great last night, quick on his feet getting into dangerous positions and having a few shots on goal and of course the one going in. He really seems like a new man.

Hes had a good season so far anyway, he hasnt scored in the league since Christmas but with him and Ba switching so much thats to be expected really.

He said he wasnt happy last season with starting on the bench in the UCL final and not getting to take a peno and not even coming on against Liverpool, now in under 2 weeks he has a chance to win the EL for us.

I think the mask is magical, he might as well wear it for the rest of his Chelsea career.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I know a lot of you dont like benitez but all things considered he has done a good job.
    1 Chelsea have played atleast 20 more games than most teams in the PL and he has managed to keep the squad fresh.
    2 Torres has definetly improved from last year.
    3 Moving Luiz into midfield has been a good move.
    4 Standing up to the old guard in particular JT who now no longer feels hes invincible needed to be done.
    5 Despite all the protests he kept his dignity and got on with the job.
    6 Should at this stage deliver top 4 and 50/50 chance of europa league.

If we win the EL and finsih 3rd/4th he'll have done a good job.

No complaints and a thank you, enjoy the rest of your managerial career.

He wont ever get fully accepted at the Bridge but that was always going to happen and I'm sure he expected it anyway.

Although if we fail to finish in the top 4 the fans will be up in arms regardless of what happens in Amsterdam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I know a lot of you dont like benitez but all things considered he has done a good job.
    1 Chelsea have played atleast 20 more games than most teams in the PL and he has managed to keep the squad fresh.
    4 Standing up to the old guard in particular JT who now no longer feels hes invincible needed to be done.

I would be a vocal dissenter of the Benitez reign i will give him credit he has done a good job considering the abuse he has put up with he really has stuck up two fingers to the haters (including me) so im gonna keep my big mouth shut and just be happy that things are going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The run is going to be very close for 3rd/4th and we've the final either side of 2 tricky games.

Utd (a)
    Spurs (h)
    Villa (a)
    Benfica
    Everton (h)

Four points from your next two games would solve a lot of problems! :)

It's tough and tight, the Suarez goal was a killer. I think ye have been in a 'every game is a huge game' mode for a while now so I have a feeling ye will just about do enough to get over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I'm not a fan of Benitez whatsoever but it must be said he's not done too badly overall, it was a difficult stopgap to fill but so long as we grabe 4th it can be counted as a decent season really.

The hiring actually suited both himself and Chelsea well. His CV gets a decent boost and puts himself in the shop window and Chelsea have had a whole year to prepare for next season and completely lowered fan expectations for this year in the same breath.

So long as there was no long term damage done this year (no Champions League) anything else was a bonus (decent cup runs).

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Four points from your next two games would solve a lot of problems! :)

It's tough and tight, the Suarez goal was a killer. I think ye have been in a 'every game is a huge game' mode for a while now so I have a feeling ye will just about do enough to get over the line.

4 points would be huge, the mantra of going to Old Trafford and taking any points is a huge plus, I'm hopeful we'll at least take something anyway.

If we beat Spurs we'll finsih at least 4th IMO, if we take a point at OT and spurs win the gap will be back to 2 points before we play them and if we can beat them i cant see them turning around 5 points in 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Fingers crossed Southampton stuff spurs this weekend

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3165385/title/europa-league-final-ticket-announcement
    We will receive approximately 9,800 tickets for the UEFA Europa League Final. Tickets are priced £117, £86.50, £60.50 and £39.

Due to the shortness of time the selling procedure will be as follows:

Monday 6 May until 4pm: Supporters on the UEFA Away Scheme can purchase one ticket. There will be 500 temporary loyalty points added to enable scheme members to purchase tickets at any price online. The temporary points will be added on Sunday 5 May and removed on Monday 6 May at 4pm.

Tuesday 7 May until 12noon: tickets will be sold to season ticket holders on a loyalty point basis. The number of loyalty points required will be announced on Monday 6 May.

Tuesday 7 May ONLINE ONLY from 12.30pm until 3.30pm: Tickets will be sold to season ticket holders on a loyalty point basis. The number of loyalty points required will be announced on Monday 6 May.

Tuesday 7 May ONLINE ONLY from 4pm until 12midnight: tickets will be sold to season ticket holders on a loyalty point basis. The number of loyalty points required will be announced on Monday 6 May.

Wednesday 8 May ONLINE ONLY until 12noon: tickets will be sold to season ticket holders on a loyalty point basis. The number of loyalty points required will be announced on Tuesday 7 May.

Wednesday 8 May ONLINE ONLY from 12.30pm until 3.30pm: Tickets will be sold to season ticket holders on a loyalty point basis. The number of loyalty points required will be announced on Tuesday 7 May.

Wednesday 8 May ONLINE ONLY from 4pm until 8pm: Tickets will be sold to all remaining season ticket holders.

All season ticket holders who have made a booking with Thomas Cook Sport will be confirmed in application date order.

Further announcements will be made if tickets are available after season ticket holders have purchased their tickets.

9,800 only. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

What a ****ing joke.

Johner wrote: »
    What a ****ing joke.

I can only assume Benfica have got a similar amount?

Chelsea have I think about 27K season ticket holders, figure could be slightly off but thats a tiny amount of tickets.

I suppose the sme happens the UCL, at wembley if the ticket allocation is about 25k each it will be a lot, the rest will be the pot luck draw and Corporate tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

9800 tickets is a ****ing disgrace, Chelsea as a club should kick up a storm of epic proportions about this.

But unfortunately they won't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

if we take a point at OT and spurs win the gap will be back to 2 points before we play them.

gap will only be 1 point in that instance.

UEFA wont give a bo**cks, they know that the tickets that go out through the lottery will earn them more money anyway.

9.8k out of a 52k stadium is a joke.

So thats basically 19-20k between actual fans the rest are hand me outs?

• Advertisement

gap will only be 1 point in that instance.

Bloody miscalculated. :o

Either way it wont matter. :p :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Bloody miscalculated. :o

Either way it wont matter. :p :pac:

Huge week in the battle for top 4.

The scenario I would like is we (spurs) win all 4 games left, ye win all yere games bar against us.....then Arsenal lose out....everyone is a winner.

Huge week in the battle for top 4.

The scenario I would like is we (spurs) win all 4 games left, ye win all yere games bar against us.....then Arsenal lose out....everyone is a winner.

Arsenals 35 games so far could cost them but there run is easier then both of ours combined IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Has he done any better than RDM would have done no I dont think so. With RDM think the Carling Cup, World Club Cup and top 4 would have been wrapped up by now.

I dont believe he has done a good job but at least there are only 5 more games and he will be gone and so far as I am concerned good riddance.

http://www.sambafoot.com/en/news/46453_barcelona_target___40m_move_for_chelsea_star_david_luiz_-_report.html?

Just how lazy can some people be? It is reported he is going to be the captain next season cant see him going anywhere. Of course it could be the typical Barca tactic of letting it be known they want a player so as he will become unsettled and they get him at a relatively cheap price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

Has he done any better than RDM would have done no I dont think so. With RDM think the Carling Cup, World Club Cup and top 4 would have been wrapped up by now.

I dont believe he has done a good job but at least there are only 5 more games and he will be gone and so far as I am concerned good riddance.

rafa has a very similar record to RDM in their respective times as Chelsea manager:

of the 43 rafa has managed he's won 24, drawn 9 and lost 10

of the 42 RDM managed he won 24 drew 9 and lost 9

Premier League: Rafa P: 22 w: 12 d:5 l:5 RDM P:23 w:12 d:6 l:5

CL/Europa: Rafa P: 9 w:6 d:1 l:2 RDM P:11 w6 d: 3 l: 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

And not forgetting he had to pick up from a standing start, mid season. I'm not sure there's many that could have done much better tbh.

The crazy way your club is run and yet you always seem to end up smelling of roses ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

from teamtalk.com latest on jose

speaking at his pre-match press conference ahead of Saturday's Primera Division game at home to Real Valladolid, Mourinho claimed nothing was certain yet.

"It's not worth talking about if I go or not," he said. "If I go, I will not give explanations.

"I'm working with total professionalism and I still have the same honour and pleasure to work for this club as I did a month or two ago.

"I have not taken the decision yet. First to know will be my wife and my children. Then the president (Florentino Perez) and director general (Jose Angel Sanchez).

"We will speak about the future after the end of the season. I have a Copa del Rey final and La Liga matches to play."

Failure to beat Valladolid at the Bernabeu would open the door for Barcelona to regain the Primera Division title by beating Real Betis on Sunday night.

"Finishing second in the league is not what we want but it is better than finishing third," the 50-year-old added. "We want to win as many points as possible."

http://www.teamtalk.com/chelsea/8687216/La-Liga-Jose-Mourinho-yet-to-make-decision-on-Real-Madrid-future

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    And not forgetting he had to pick up from a standing start, mid season. I'm not sure there's many that could have done much better tbh.

The crazy way your club is run and yet you always seem to end up smelling of roses ;)

Which in fairness RDM had to do last season as well, the management of the club is indeed crazy. Surely Roman does not any other aspect of his business like this one thing is for certain it is his plaything he does not care a jot for the supporters of the club.

Beat Utd at Old Trafford and we'll be laughing, will we though?

It's going to very tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Beat Utd at Old Trafford and we'll be laughing, will we though?

It's going to very tough.

It really all comes down to the Spurs game.

HUGE

the_monkey wrote: »
    It really all comes down to the Spurs game.

HUGE

If we fail to beat Spurs then Villa away becomes must win and so does Everton at home BUT if we beat Spurs we'll wrap up 4th at least I reckon.

Best case scenario is Villa getting 3 points agaiosnt Norwich this weekend so they're more or less safe, if they need to win when they play us Villa park and the team will be well up for it but this is a team we thumped back in Nov/Dec we shoudl really be beating them but our recent record at Villa park is suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

If RDM was still in charge I agree you probably would have won the carling cup(would have played a stronger team), cant see what he wouldve done different in the world club cup tbh, but I reckon you would be worse off in the league as RDM more ot less played the same players all the time and they would be running on empty at this stage. If theres one manger who knows how to manage the unbelievable schedule Chelsea have had its Benitez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Be upstanding for the Barclays Manager of the Month for April..........

:eek:

• Advertisement

RichT wrote: »
    Be upstanding for the Barclays Manager of the Month for April..........

:eek:

List from the Daily Fail.....look who Rafa was in charge of during April. :pac:
    David Moyes (Everton) - September 2012
    Alex Ferguson (Man United) - October 2012
    Steve Clarke (West Brom) - November 2012
    Andre Villas-Boas (Tottenham) - December 2012
    Brian McDermott (Reading) - January 2013
    Andrew Villas-Boas (Tottenham) - February 2013
    David Moyes (Everton) - March 2013
    Rafael Benitez (Liverpool) April2013

List from the Daily Fail.....look who Rafa was in charge of during April. :pac:

That explains the waste at Anfield

That explains the waste at Anfield

TBF it was the bloody ref that cost us the 3 points at Anfield and his bloody extra extra time.

That combined with Cech and some good fortune seen us pick up a point that could be valuable in the long term.

Yossi for Haz, shakey defence JT sitting watching lamps on or an insulting last few seconds. Ref didn't help but our interim was his normal self.

Yossi for Haz, shakey defence JT sitting watching lamps on or an insulting last few seconds. Ref didn't help but our interim was his normal self.

JT & Lamps are 2nd choice for a reason, in the current squad they're not going to get as many games.

Yossi was the only baffling one really.

Remember Liverpool should have had Sturridge sent off and Carragher could have easily picked up another yellow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

JT & Lamps are 2nd choice for a reason, in the current squad they're not going to get as many games.

Yossi was the only baffling one really.

Remember Liverpool should have had Sturridge sent off and Carragher could have easily picked up another yellow.

Add on that Suarez should have walked too... Sickening that game was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Im quietly confident that we are gona win at Old Trafford, think we are in pretty good form at the right time... and there season is finished!

There is a good buzz around the club at the moment it seems :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Im quietly confident that we are gona win at Old Trafford, think we are in pretty good form at the right time... and there season is finished!

There is a good buzz around the club at the moment it seems :)

As someone pointed out to me earlier, United have NOT had it their own way against Chelsea this season; Chelsea knocked them out of the 2 domestic Cup competitions and were on the wrong side of so many decisions in the League game in the Bridge that it is not even funny (offside winner for United, Torres wrongly sent off, "Mikelgate", etc.).

United have struggled against Chelsea this season (yes, they beat Chelsea in the Bridge, but they were relying on beating 10 men and needed a 90th minute, offside goal to do so)... and who knows?

I seriously feel that United will take the foot off the gas slightly now; they've absolutely nothing to play for in the final run of games. Now, United are a team of utter, consummate professionals whom you have to admire for their "win everything, and at any cost" attitude that has see them reap huge rewards over the years. They will not lie down, especially not to Chelsea and especially not to a Chelsea team being managed by their incarnation of Lucifer himself.

But at the same time, the United players out there will know in their hearts and souls that the league is won, they can't break the points record and the sunny sands await. It's actually a pity United aren't involved in the FA Cup or the Champions League still as that would mean they would no doubt be resting players all over. But how and ever.

As you say, if Chelsea play their strongest starting 11, if United relax a little and if god/Jesus/Allah/Buddha/Flying-Spaghetti-Monster smiles down a little on Chelsea, there might, just might, be a result forthcoming.

DazMarz wrote: »
    As someone pointed out to me earlier, United have NOT had it their own way against Chelsea this season; Chelsea knocked them out of the 2 domestic Cup competitions and were on the wrong side of so many decisions in the League game in the Bridge that it is not even funny (offside winner for United, Torres wrongly sent off, "Mikelgate", etc.).

United have struggled against Chelsea this season (yes, they beat Chelsea in the Bridge, but they were relying on beating 10 men and needed a 90th minute, offside goal to do so)... and who knows?

I seriously feel that United will take the foot off the gas slightly now; they've absolutely nothing to play for in the final run of games. Now, United are a team of utter, consummate professionals whom you have to admire for their "win everything, and at any cost" attitude that has see them reap huge rewards over the years. They will not lie down, especially not to Chelsea and especially not to a Chelsea team being managed by their incarnation of Lucifer himself.

But at the same time, the United players out there will know in their hearts and souls that the league is won, they can't break the points record and the sunny sands await. It's actually a pity United aren't involved in the FA Cup or the Champions League still as that would mean they would no doubt be resting players all over. But how and ever.

As you say, if Chelsea play their strongest starting 11, if United relax a little and if god/Jesus/Allah/Buddha/Flying-Spaghetti-Monster smiles down a little on Chelsea, there might, just might, be a result forthcoming.

Good points made, if we were to get 3 points, then we would be flying in the race for 3rd, nevermind 4th! Would really love to get at least 4 points from United and Spurs to take a little bit of importance off the Villa game before the Europa League final..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I think we can do it if we don't do our usual slow start, we were actually reduced to 9 men against them at the bridge in the league and I think it was a defining point in our season and imo as a direct result of that day the confidence of the squad diminished and leaves us in this ****off for the second year running. It also looks like Raffa has finally got to grips with the squad so all in all I'm pretty confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

DazMarz wrote: »

There's only a few games left. It's really up to Chelsea to dig in against Man U and Spurs and show them who's boss. Which, apart from helping UCL qualification, will help set the stage for next season.

Realistically, there's four points for us in the next two games if we treat them like cup ties.

As long as we beat Spurs Wednesday, that's all I want from these two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Best of luck to 25 with Watford this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

RichT wrote: »
    Best of luck to 25 with Watford this afternoon.

25, thats the number of players they have on loan right??

Spurs 0-0 Saints at HT.

And Southampton been the much better side

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement