Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Spurs cant catch us unless they turn around a +17 GD. :confused:

Lamps will get all the plaudits today, even when Luiz came on he was poor enough, kept giving away the ball but Frankie got the business done thank christ.

I know but I can't see man city losing 2 of their last games. Should of putting a smiley at the end. tongue in check gone bad. :(.
    Be only 15 if we lose and spurs win their next game.
    Hope Wigan win at Arsenal as 3 rd be wrapped up as can see up losing or drawing at Everton.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

thebison wrote: »
    Frankie Lamps is on MOTD tonight at 11pm on BBC1.

What a day for him and what a way to seal the record and Champions League football all at once. Legend.

Opps turns out he'll be featured in a pre-recorded interview from earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Not sure which game people were watching but to call Ba useless yesterday shows a total lack of football knowledge. He did actually score but the goal was not given, next season with goal line technology that stands and we are in front.
    Look again at Lamps first goal the footage from behind the goal. There you see a beautiful example of the strikers art as he uses his body to shield the defender creating a huge gap which Lamps uses beautifully.

In he first half he was really unlucky only a great piece of goal keeping kept him out (very decent keeper that lad by the way) after some lovely work. He lived on scraps for nearly an entire match our midfield was MIA until it got levelled at 10 men apiece. Moses was absolutely terrible, Mata poor again (legs many have gone) Hazard was playing well. Cahill is a full blooded player but not good enough for a club like Chelsea.

Ba was a long way from the worst Chelsea player on the pitch and I would agree with what Butch and Rednapp said before the game but for Torres not to have scored in over 17 hours of actual on field Premier League action is pathetic.

Thankfully Benfica had a hard match on Saturday losing against Porto and thus almost certainly losing the league I hope they are in the horrors at least because that is the only way we are winning if Haz don't play on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Not sure which game people were watching but to call Ba useless yesterday shows a total lack of football knowledge. He did actually score but the goal was not given, next season with goal line technology that stands and we are in front.
    Look again at Lamps first goal the footage from behind the goal. There you see a beautiful example of the strikers art as he uses his body to shield the defender creating a huge gap which Lamps uses beautifully.

In he first half he was really unlucky only a great piece of goal keeping kept him out (very decent keeper that lad by the way) after some lovely work. He lived on scraps for nearly an entire match our midfield was MIA until it got levelled at 10 men apiece. Moses was absolutely terrible, Mata poor again (legs many have gone) Hazard was playing well. Cahill is a full blooded player but not good enough for a club like Chelsea.

Ba was a long way from the worst Chelsea player on the pitch and I would agree with what Butch and Rednapp said before the game but for Torres not to have scored in over 17 hours of actual on field Premier League action is pathetic.

Thankfully Benfica had a hard match on Saturday losing against Porto and thus almost certainly losing the league I hope they are in the horrors at least because that is the only way we are winning if Haz don't play on Wednesday.

I don't agree with everything in your post buy your spot on re: missing Hazard will be a massive massive blow and maybe too much too overcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

from the sunday mirror

Jose Mourinho wants Real Madrid midfielder Khedira to follow him to Chelsea
    Blues are still in negotiations to bring the Portuguese back, although they are unwilling to pay his £17m release clause

Germany international Khedira has been at Real Madrid since 2010 and would cost the Blues around £20million.

Mourinho has already identified the areas of the Chelsea squad he would like to strengthen with the centre of midfield one of his top priorities.

Chelsea remain in negotiations to take Mourinho back to Stamford Bridge, with compensation now the main sticking point.

Owner Roman Abramovich is unwilling to pay Mourinho’s £17m get-out clause, knowing Real have already lined up Carlo Ancelotti to replace him.

Chelsea remain confident the impasse will be solved and Mourinho is still hopeful of completing his Stamford Bridge return.

Frank Lampard last week backed the prospect of Mourinho going back to Chelsea and David Luiz has now admitted he would like to work with the Portuguese.

“Everybody wants someone like Jose Mourinho to be his manager,” said Luiz. “If he comes, it would be a big addition to us.

“Mourinho is a manager who has credibility, who does excellent work and leaves his mark wherever he goes.”

Ancelotti’s prospective move from Paris St Germain will give him the chance to join an elite band of title winning bosses. He has already won Italy’s Serie A and the Premier League and is on the brink of lifting the French championship.

Moving to Madrid to take over a Real squad expected to overtake Barcelona and win La Liga would be a challenging yet exciting prospect for the former Chelsea manager.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chelsea-transfers-jose-mourinho-wants-1882199

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

peteeeed wrote: »
    from the sunday mirror

Jose Mourinho wants Real Madrid midfielder Khedira to follow him to Chelsea
    Blues are still in negotiations to bring the Portuguese back, although they are unwilling to pay his £17m release clause

Germany international Khedira has been at Real Madrid since 2010 and would cost the Blues around £20million.

Mourinho has already identified the areas of the Chelsea squad he would like to strengthen with the centre of midfield one of his top priorities.

Chelsea remain in negotiations to take Mourinho back to Stamford Bridge, with compensation now the main sticking point.

Owner Roman Abramovich is unwilling to pay Mourinho’s £17m get-out clause, knowing Real have already lined up Carlo Ancelotti to replace him.

Chelsea remain confident the impasse will be solved and Mourinho is still hopeful of completing his Stamford Bridge return.

Frank Lampard last week backed the prospect of Mourinho going back to Chelsea and David Luiz has now admitted he would like to work with the Portuguese.

“Everybody wants someone like Jose Mourinho to be his manager,” said Luiz. “If he comes, it would be a big addition to us.

“Mourinho is a manager who has credibility, who does excellent work and leaves his mark wherever he goes.”

Ancelotti’s prospective move from Paris St Germain will give him the chance to join an elite band of title winning bosses. He has already won Italy’s Serie A and the Premier League and is on the brink of lifting the French championship.

Moving to Madrid to take over a Real squad expected to overtake Barcelona and win La Liga would be a challenging yet exciting prospect for the former Chelsea manager.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chelsea-transfers-jose-mourinho-wants-1882199

If true about Khedira, that is brilliant. He's an absolutely class player, a brilliant box-to-box midfielder and he'd be just the kind of player Chelsea would love to have. Well worth that price-tag, if true.

Also, Spurs don't have a hope in hell of overtaking Chelsea. The goal difference they have to overturn is too great. Add to that, the head-to-head favours Chelsea (win-draw for Chelsea), so it's not going to happen. And to add even more to it, Stoke are putting it up to them. It's 1-1 at the moment, and while Spurs are pressing like mad to get the win they need, Stoke won't be easily beaten.

Chelsea did the business yesterday. What was needed to be done was done. It was in no way pretty, but you don't look at the mantlepiece while you're poking the fire. The result was all that mattered, and Chelsea got the result.

It's incredible to think, but this season already has a positive ending; Chelsea are still favourites to finish 3rd, and are favourites to lift the Europa League.

By the way, has anyone heard how bad Hazard's injury is? I hope it's not too severe and that he'll make a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

No news, but if he's pulled his hammy he won't be fit for Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Great to not have to worry about 4th ahead of Wednesdays final
    Could be tough without Hazard , Benfica will be up for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Stoke conceded in the 84th minute. Spurs won 1-2. I honestly thought Stoke would get at least a point from that game, but Charlie Adam getting sent off made their task nigh on impossible.

Yesterday's result was absolutely crucial, especially now. Legend Frankie Lampard. :D

And regarding the Europa League Final, yeah, it'd be nice to win it, but it's a sideshow for me now, to be honest! Chelsea have done what was needed in the league and anything after that is just a bonus. Benfica will be well up for it, so there can be no complacency if Chelsea are to win that game. No Hazard is a huge loss if he is out, but I think there is enough quality there to be able to make a game of it. Chelsea underestimate Benfica at their own peril; they are a very good side.

Should be a cracking final, regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just want to say what a fantastic job Benitez has done for ye. No one behind him and he has been the consumit professional as always. If ye had started the season under him there is no doubt ye would have challenged for the league and done alot better in the champions league. Not to mention he was the first manager not afraid to put Terry in his box

Roman should be signing benitez permanently not jumping into bed with the "Self important one" and the circus he brings.

Just confirms the pure class from Benitez.

Oh and give Lampard a new contract for ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

rob316 wrote: »
    Just want to say what a fantastic job Benitez has done for ye. No one behind him and he has been the consumit professional as always. If ye had started the season under him there is no doubt ye would have challenged for the league and done alot better in the champions league. Not to mention he was the first manager not afraid to put Terry in his box

Roman should be signing benitez permanently not jumping into bed with the "Self important one" and the circus he brings.

Most sensible cfc fans recognise that he's done a superb job in the past couple of months, though his start wasn't great at all, and there were some mistakes made by him. The fact that he's still bringing yossi on is an irritant, but I'll be grateful to him on balance. Would be nice to see some acknowledgement from the fans in the last two games.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Hat trick for Sturridge :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I think a few people here owe an apology to Wigan, saying Chelsea beating City would basically be winning the FA Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

liverpool fan???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

I think a few people here owe an apology to Wigan, saying Chelsea beating City would basically be winning the FA Cup

But Chelsea didn't beat Wigan and we didn't win the FA Cup. No apology needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

fozz10 wrote: »
    liverpool fan???

You don't know that!

Maybe he's a Valencia fan.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Rooney in full kit?

Terry got enough slagging for doing it, I wonder will Rooney get the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

DazMarz wrote: »

And regarding the Europa League Final, yeah, it'd be nice to win it, but it's a sideshow for me now, to be honest!

+1 on that I really don't want the honor of being the first team to hold the europa league and the champions league at the same time, It's just a dressed up way of saying we were the first winners to be dumped out in the group stages if you ask me. I will be watching it and routing for a win but I'll hold it in the same regard as I would hold the community shield.
    Fair play to studge all the same I always knew he had the ability if he could just grow up, very difficult place for strikers to come in stamford bridge who was the last one to come that hit the ground running? Even the great Drogba had a torrid time too begin with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Thibaut Courtois has been awarded the Zamora. It's given to the best goalkeeper in La Liga. (I think it's decided on goals-to-games ratio)

Opr

• Advertisement

fozz10 wrote: »
    liverpool fan???
    Gbear wrote: »
    You don't know that!

Maybe he's a Valencia fan.:pac:

I think that is why he used question marks.

geeky wrote: »
    Most sensible cfc fans recognise that he's done a superb job in the past couple of months, though his start wasn't great at all, and there were some mistakes made by him. The fact that he's still bringing yossi on is an irritant, but I'll be grateful to him on balance. Would be nice to see some acknowledgement from the fans in the last two games.

Absolutely a fantastic job in fact really really really super, splendiferous even. I think the interim one has done the most fantastic job in all of the history of fantastic jobs. Actually it is such a fantastic job words fail me I just cannot describe how absolutely fantastic it is.

Imagine being given charge of a team in 3rd place and finishing up ..... Wait for it ........ Wait for it ........ Yes at best in 3rd place. Wow just how fantastic was that I mean really you have to say indeed mega fantastic. In future in the Oxford English Dictionary when you look up the word fantastic there just has to be an image of the interim one.

In response to such a fantastic job I think we should rename the shed end in honour of the interim one, actually no from hence forth we should rename Stamford Bridge in honour of the interim one. That would be super duper fantastic don't you think.

Actually I wonder if London Transport could be leaned upon to rename Fulham Broadway Station or the local council could rename the area. But if we really want to show just how mega fantastic the job was David Cameron should rename London Interimville sack Boris and give the job (on an interim basis of course) to ............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

Absolutely a fantastic job in fact really really really super, splendiferous even. I think the interim one has done the most fantastic job in all of the history of fantastic jobs. Actually it is such a fantastic job words fail me I just cannot describe how absolutely fantastic it is.

Imagine being given charge of a team in 3rd place and finishing up ..... Wait for it ........ Wait for it ........ Yes at best in 3rd place. Wow just how fantastic was that I mean really you have to say indeed mega fantastic. In future in the Oxford English Dictionary when you look up the word fantastic there just has to be an image of the interim one.

In response to such a fantastic job I think we should rename the shed end in honour of the interim one, actually no from hence forth we should rename Stamford Bridge in honour of the interim one. That would be super duper fantastic don't you think.

Actually I wonder if London Transport could be leaned upon to rename Fulham Broadway Station or the local council could rename the area. But if we really want to show just how mega fantastic the job was David Cameron should rename London Interimville sack Boris and give the job (on an interim basis of course) to ............

i was thinking the same thing... a good week good riddance to ferguson and one week closer to being rid of rafa tactical genius 3rd place benitez... and the possibly the european carling cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think Rafa deserves credit for getting results in a very hostile environment; picking up the reins mid-season and for meeting the objectives set for him.

Who knows if he was given a full pre-season, to work with the team and bring in his acquisitions, how things would work out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I just find it all a little weird. Most of the sensible Chelsea fans seemed to believe at the start of the season with the changing of the guard and all the new players coming into the team that this season was transitional in nature and CL football was the main priority on which then you could kick on and build. You've achieved that objective with room to spare and are in a European cup final yet you have people posting some awful rubbish about the job he has done.

That doesn't even take into account the fact Rafa's results have really come good over the last few months after he has had time to work with the players. Judging him on games after he was only in the door is extremely silly. All on the backdrop of absolutely horrible conditions to work in with regards fan support. At this point I think those foaming at the mouth are just part of the hive mentality within the Chelsea fan base of Rafa out without any real logic behind it other than they don't like him from his past endeavours.

Maybe that is justification enough for wanting him out as I know better than anyone that I love to love the man in charge but suggesting he has done a bad job just makes you sound mental.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

What's all this 'I don't want to win/dont care about winning the Europa League' crap! A cup is a cup is a cup. Get.A.Grip.

If youre a Chelsea fan get behind the team or GTFO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Totally agree with Opr - Rafa deserves heaps of credit. He's had a lot to deal with and still got us to a European final and a top 4 finish. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for him to command any respect from the players given how he was treated by the fans and how the club made it clear that he was only a stopgap.

Personally I think under ideal circumstances, Rafa would be an excellent manager for us. However, due to the attitude of a lot of fans, he'd never get the opportunity.

He's done good though and his contribution should be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Garzorico wrote: »
    What's all this 'I don't want to win/dont care about winning the Europa League' crap! A cup is a cup is a cup. Get.A.Grip.

If youre a Chelsea fan get behind the team or GTFO.

It's a sad illustration of the state of the modern game when fans (and clubs) prioritise participation in next years CL over winning this years EL.

Im not saying that's necessarily right or wrong, but it would be nice if the prestige of winning one competition trumped the financial gain of competing in another.

opr wrote: »
    I just find it all a little weird. Most of the sensible Chelsea fans seemed to believe at the start of the season with the changing of the guard and all the new players coming into the team that this season was transitional in nature and CL football was the main priority on which then you could kick on and build. You've achieved that objective with room to spare and are in a European cup final yet you have people posting some awful rubbish about the job he has done.

That doesn't even take into account the fact Rafa's results have really come good over the last few months after he has had time to work with the players. Judging him on games after he was only in the door is extremely silly. All on the backdrop of absolutely horrible conditions to work in with regards fan support. At this point I think those foaming at the mouth are just part of the hive mentality within the Chelsea fan base of Rafa out without any real logic behind it other than they don't like him from his past endeavours.

Maybe that is justification enough for wanting him out as I know better than anyone that I love to love the man in charge but suggesting he has done a bad job just makes you sound mental.

Opr

I really find it hard to understand exactly where did he do a good job? We were third comfortably when he took over the best we will do really is third.

In fairness I don't think Roman ever wanted RDM in the job full time he is just not high profile enough (same could be said for Grant). When he had the chance he pushed him and I would say employed the interim to weed out players who did not support AVB, this is a little strange as it was Roman who sacked AVB when he should have stood with him.

But what did RDM do that was so bad, the Champions league I suppose but it was a hard group. Juve and Shakhtar have won their leagues with ease for a team in transistion I think we gave it a good rattle (losing a 2 goal lead against Juve at the Bridge done for us in the end). Other than that we were playing some good stuff the last 30 minutes away at Spurs was as good as anything from any Chelsea team for years. All this with only 1 misfiring striker as well (I do feel sorry for Nando good player but head all over the place it seems).

I have following Chelsea for over 40 years and during that time we have had some poor managers, our interim is not the worst we have had in hat time but in my mind he is the worst for many a year. Life as football is all about opinions in mine he has been poor. In the opinion of many thousands of Chelsea supporters they would agree with my view. It seems most Liverpool supporters would disagree with me fair enough but when it comes to Chelsea the only opinions that matter to me are that of fellow blues.

But I would be interested to know where he is supposed to have done a good job, or at least better than Robbies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

As I've said before I think he's done a decent job (not bad but not great), he's achieved the required and set us up well for next season. Grateful for that but it's not like he's worked miracles to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

I remember Gav (think it was him) saying at some point during the summer here that if we achieved the following targets this season it would be a good follow up to winning the UCL:

Securing champions league football- Done.

A good FA Cup run-Done,unlucky even not to be in the final.

Phase out the old guard,fresh blood into the team:In the process of being done,but we can see the new genration of our future stars-Oscar,Mata,Hazard,Luiz,Azpillicueta etc

Knockout stages of the UCL-This is the only disappointing thing that we made a poor attempt at.

Reaching the knockout stages of the UCL is the only thing we've come up short at in our targets for this season,and while disappointing we have the consolation of possibly winning the Europa league which isn't the worst thing,it's silverware.We all said at the end of last season this was going to be a season transition and it's being a pretty good one at that,we have plenty of good young players in our squad.The only thing that casts darkness over the season is the sacking of RDM who was loved by all the fans and being replaced with Rafa,we know how that reaction went.

As lazy as it sounds everything happens for a reason,we probably have Mourinho coming back who will instill the old Chelsea mentality back into the squad hopefully and fix our central midfield and central defence situation out.We all have fait in his transfers,look at the great signings he made when he was here before.

All in all,It's turned out to be a good season and there's an exciting summer ahead and things are gonna get better and better over the next few season if we get Mourinho back in. :)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Nice interview with Lamps, Kerry Dixon and Bobby Tambling from after the Swansea game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

But Chelsea didn't beat Wigan and we didn't win the FA Cup. No apology needed.

Eh if we did win the FA Cup then the apology would not be necessary. I think it's fairly poor form this is the only response. People were making out Wigan hadn't got the slightest chance, I know "we" didn't play them but our game with City was called the final etc. Apologies were made to Wigan, saying sorry Wigan but you won't stand a chance.

Maybe "we" would have beaten them but calling "our" game the final was saying whoever won is guaranteed the trophy.

I felt the same way to be honest, I was just highlighting that we were being unfair to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

looks like frank and the club have agreed a 1 year extension of his contract according to multiple papers this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

peteeeed wrote: »
    looks like frank and the club have agreed a 1 year extension of his contract according to multiple papers this morning

Good news if true. :)

article-2322995-19B9CEFF000005DC-424_634x469.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Theirs an interview on sky sports.com with Paul Scholes. Neville asks him who he likes to watch most in the prem and he reckons Mata and Hazard because their team players and only flashy when they need to be :) Good man Paul.

justshane wrote: »
    Theirs an interview on sky sports.com with Paul Scholes. Neville asks him who he likes to watch most in the prem and he reckons Mata and Hazard because their team players and only flashy when they need to be :) Good man Paul.

Hazard when hes on form is breathtakingly good.

Imagine how good he'll be nexy year with a season uner his belt?

Think Hoddle called it, " Hazard at this stage of this season is a head of what Mata was at last year around this time."

Have to say I agree with him, which is a hard act to follow, Mata had a very good debut season.

A guy with a huge future with us has turned 20 today, Romelu Lukaku.

Beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

This is true. I would point out, though, that expectations were heightened by our strong start to the league, while neither City nor United were as good as last year. On paper - and definitely sending out half the team on loan - most fans believe the squad is strong enough to win the league.

Opr

All true. Another factor, though, behind fan dislike of Rafa was him replacing Di Matteo, a genuinely popular manager who performed minor miracles but got the bullet as soon as he hit his first rocky patch. He's borne the brunt of the anger arising from that decision.

Put it this way: Rafa has gone up in my estimation. He's shown he's a decent coach who can improve certain players and set the team up competently, even if he's not some unmatchable genius, and his substitutions seem strange. He's shown that the Inter Milan disaster was a bit of a blip.

But he'll never love Chelsea like Di Matteo, or Mourinho. And he'll never be loved like them. This season was a professional arrangement, transactional even. Both parties got what they wanted out of it - stabilisation for us, an enhanced reputation for him. And presumably both parties have a bit more mutual respect as a result. But it's come to the planned parting of the ways now, and there won't be much angst about it.

This is true. I would point out, though, that expectations were heightened by our strong start to the league, while neither City nor United were as good as last year. On paper - and definitely sending out half the team on loan - most fans believe the squad is strong enough to win the league.

Maybe not win it but at least be there ot there abouts when it mattereda nd not so far out of touch.

We needed to keep some of the players that were shipped out and shoud ahve never kept some of the guys we did but thats a mistake that nearly cost us UCL football next season and it did cost us a shot of retaining the title this year.

Its well documented the players we have to come back will bolster the squad.

De Bruyne(1st team), Courtois(1st team one day), MacEchran(potential 1st), Chalobah(future 1st), Lukaku(1st team).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Says it all really .

All true. Another factor, though, behind fan dislike of Rafa was him replacing Di Matteo, a genuinely popular manager who performed minor miracles but got the bullet as soon as he hit his first rocky patch. He's borne the brunt of the anger arising from that decision.

Put it this way: Rafa has gone up in my estimation. He's shown he's a decent coach who can improve certain players and set the team up competently, even if he's not some unmatchable genius, and his substitutions seem strange. He's shown that the Inter Milan disaster was a bit of a blip.

But he'll never love Chelsea like Di Matteo, or Mourinho. And he'll never be loved like them. This season was a professional arrangement, transactional even. Both parties got what they wanted out of it - stabilisation for us, an enhanced reputation for him. And presumably both parties have a bit more mutual respect as a result. But it's come to the planned parting of the ways now, and there won't be much angst about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Maybe not win it but at least be there ot there abouts when it mattereda nd not so far out of touch.

We needed to keep some of the players that were shipped out and shoud ahve never kept some of the guys we did but thats a mistake that nearly cost us UCL football next season and it did cost us a shot of retaining the title this year.

Its well documented the players we have to come back will bolster the squad.

De Bruyne(1st team), Courtois(1st team one day), MacEchran(potential 1st), Chalobah(future 1st), Lukaku(1st team).

Did MacEchran make much of an impact with Boro ?

Rafas record against the bigger clubs is a good one IMO.

Hes been let down in the games against the QPR/Reading/Southamptons of the world but his rotation in those games didnt help the result and he only had to rotate due to the amount of games we played this season.

Look at the current table.

Utd - drew withthem inthe FA cup at OT, beat them in the replay, beat them inthe league away. Played 3, W2, D1,
    City - Lost twice FA cup and league, drew one at home. Played 3, D1, L2
    Spurs - Played 1, D1,
    Arsenal - Played 1, W1
    Everton - Played 1, W1, 1 game to play.
    Liverpool - Played 1, D1
    WBA - Played 2, W1, L1
    Swansea - Played 3, W1, D1, L1
    West Ham - Played 2, W1, L1
    Stoke - Played 1, W1
    Norwich - Played 1, W1
    Newcastle - Played 1, L1
    Southampton - Played 3, W1, D1, L1
    Fulham - Played 2, W1, D1
    A.Villa - Played 2, W2
    Sunderland - Played 2, W2
    Wigan - PLayed 1, W1
    Reading - Played 1, D1
    QPR - Played 1, L1

Total domestic league and cups record of - Played 32, W16, D8, L8.

Techless wrote: »
    Did MacEchran make much of an impact with Boro ?

Hes played nearly 40 games for them and he won their Young player of the year award.

It could be that he found his level and that he might not be good enough for the EPL but by all accounts hes had a good loan spell up North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hes played nearly 40 games for them and he won their Young player of the year award.

It could be that he found his level and that he might not be good enough for the EPL but by all accounts hes had a good loan spell up North.

Watch your back Gav....Ray Wilkins will be after you following that comment.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Watch your back Gav....Ray Wilkins will be after you following that comment.

Copyright GRK. :P

I'd love if Josh could make it for us and I know Carlo gave him game time and honestly had he been kept he would have played games with us this season due to Romeu's injury.

He looked like a very tidy player when given the chance but it all depends on the new guy in the door and what he wnats to do and how he wants to set up.

If it is Jose he'll probably go for the big brawny CM that can play football as well as oposed to the playmaker type that Johsh is better suited too.

I know at Madrid its usually been Alonso/Khedira but Modric has played under Jose as well so you never know, we coul dtry a combo ofboth as many people would like Luiz in the CM spot full time if we can get a CB, if not we've a decent amount of talent that can play inside CM.

Romeu, Josh Mac, Lamps, Ramires, Mikel.

By my reckoning thats 2 holding players, 2 Box to box players and 1 deep playmaker.

I havent counted Essien as I dont think hes got a great future with us, out of contract next year and probaby wont be renewed.

I have always thought there was much more to his appointment then meets the eye. Stabilisation in the longer term perhaps but this was never going to provide any form of stabilisation this season, anyone within the club who thought that deserves to be fired. It was well known from last season how divisive his appointment would be among fans.
    The only logic to his appointment was to take the flack that was surely coming down the road regarding Lamps and perhaps JT then the next manager has a clear deck and Roman has what he wants so all is well. The only problem is I think they really expected Pepe to take the job and when he decided against then the plan basically went tits up. There was only one real fall back then because I think the powers that be at the club want a big name iconic manager (RDM basically suffered the same fate as Avrim). If Pepe had taken the job I think there was no way back for Lamps and JT would have been following him out the door. Now God knows what will happen.

If this were true was our interim a party to this, I obviously don't know (and it is pure speculation) but I would seriously doubt it. From his point of view this was a chance he had to take. His time at Liverpool did not end well, it is of no consequence if it was his fault or the Liverpool boards fault the fact remains it did not end well. His time at Inter was a disaster, no other way to dress that up and he has not worked since. I am sure he knew he was very much disliked at Chelsea but there was a big club and he would be in front of the TV cameras every week for a few months. Who would not back themselves to do well and win the fans over in the meanwhile - he is a driven man (all managers at that level have to be).

Personally I cringe every time I see him in a Chelsea blazer & I cannot wait for him to be gone, but that is my personal opinion. I actually would have some admiration for his bottle in giving it a lash, whilst it has been hard on him I would say it is very difficult for his family.

All of the blame in my opinion therefore lays with Roman and the board, I honestly do believe they thought they had Pepe in the bag and they wanted things their way when he started. In many ways I am delighted that blew up in their face. This farcical episode has been very unfair on RDM, our interim and the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I really find it hard to understand exactly where did he do a good job? We were third comfortably when he took over the best we will do really is third.

In fairness I don't think Roman ever wanted RDM in the job full time he is just not high profile enough (same could be said for Grant). When he had the chance he pushed him and I would say employed the interim to weed out players who did not support AVB, this is a little strange as it was Roman who sacked AVB when he should have stood with him.

But what did RDM do that was so bad, the Champions league I suppose but it was a hard group. Juve and Shakhtar have won their leagues with ease for a team in transistion I think we gave it a good rattle (losing a 2 goal lead against Juve at the Bridge done for us in the end). Other than that we were playing some good stuff the last 30 minutes away at Spurs was as good as anything from any Chelsea team for years. All this with only 1 misfiring striker as well (I do feel sorry for Nando good player but head all over the place it seems).

I have following Chelsea for over 40 years and during that time we have had some poor managers, our interim is not the worst we have had in hat time but in my mind he is the worst for many a year. Life as football is all about opinions in mine he has been poor. In the opinion of many thousands of Chelsea supporters they would agree with my view. It seems most Liverpool supporters would disagree with me fair enough but when it comes to Chelsea the only opinions that matter to me are that of fellow blues.

But I would be interested to know where he is supposed to have done a good job, or at least better than Robbies.

In fairness, the basis of your opinion on him doing a bad job is that he hasn't done any better than RDM before him. I absolutely agree that RDM shouldn't have been sacked when he was. If Roman was going to be looking for any excuse to remove him he should not have appointed him during the summer. It was all very silly and a good man who did brilliantly for ye last year was disgracefully treated.

BUT, Benitez took over a **** storm. Players not happy; fans booing him on at Stamford Bridge. Results were a little shaky with all that going on but surely he deserves credit for sticking at it and getting the wins needed to deliver CL and a Cup Final? Precisely because you and thousands of other blues dislike him and disagreed with him being manager is why he has done a good job imo. A lessor man would have succumbed to the pressure and not even made it this far.

All that said, I don't think Chelsea should keep him on. And you'll struggle to find a bigger Rafa fan than me. The fans don't want him all told, and Jose is an inarguably superior manager. I like Jose and I've always liked some of your players (Cole is a ****ing warrior imo) so I genuinely wish ye the best after Rafa heads elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I have always thought there was much more to his appointment then meets the eye. Stabilisation in the longer term perhaps but this was never going to provide any form of stabilisation this season, anyone within the club who thought that deserves to be fired. It was well known from last season how divisive his appointment would be among fans.
    The only logic to his appointment was to take the flack that was surely coming down the road regarding Lamps and perhaps JT then the next manager has a clear deck and Roman has what he wants so all is well. The only problem is I think they really expected Pepe to take the job and when he decided against then the plan basically went tits up. There was only one real fall back then because I think the powers that be at the club want a big name iconic manager (RDM basically suffered the same fate as Avrim). If Pepe had taken the job I think there was no way back for Lamps and JT would have been following him out the door. Now God knows what will happen.

If this were true was our interim a party to this, I obviously don't know (and it is pure speculation) but I would seriously doubt it. From his point of view this was a chance he had to take. His time at Liverpool did not end well, it is of no consequence if it was his fault or the Liverpool boards fault the fact remains it did not end well. His time at Inter was a disaster, no other way to dress that up and he has not worked since. I am sure he knew he was very much disliked at Chelsea but there was a big club and he would be in front of the TV cameras every week for a few months. Who would not back themselves to do well and win the fans over in the meanwhile - he is a driven man (all managers at that level have to be).

Personally I cringe every time I see him in a Chelsea blazer & I cannot wait for him to be gone, but that is my personal opinion. I actually would have some admiration for his bottle in giving it a lash, whilst it has been hard on him I would say it is very difficult for his family.

All of the blame in my opinion therefore lays with Roman and the board, I honestly do believe they thought they had Pepe in the bag and they wanted things their way when he started. In many ways I am delighted that blew up in their face. This farcical episode has been very unfair on RDM, our interim and the fans.

Good post imo.

• Advertisement

Well said grumpy.

Best thing is we didnt get Pep G. Basically send the powers that be back into a corner, whats come out of it though is a possible 1 yr extension for Lamps and Cole has already signed a 1yr deal.

The problem with hiring Jose is people like Cech/Cole/JT/Lamps they're his players, he'll be pushing for new contracts for them when the time comes around.

If Lamps/JT are suffering the backlash from pushing AVB out the door then why not stick with AVB in the first place, thats whats always annoyed me regarding the whole thing, the board sacked the manager knowing the players had a problem and decided to keep the players on board afterwards, now we're at our 2nd manager since then and only Drogba and a few stragglers have gone.

If the board are trying to push the old guard out they're doing a piss poor job and bringing in Rafa was going to get the crowd even more against them.

The ultimate power should be with the manager end of, but at this club thats not always the way, hoping our next manager isnt here for a months before another storm in a tea cup explodes.

The players have only seemed happy working under Jose or Carlo so its only natural the baord would run to Jose for a fix but it harps back to the origianl debate he shouldnt have been turfed out to begin with, same goes with Carlo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement