Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    In fairness, the basis of your opinion on him doing a bad job is that he hasn't done any better than RDM before him. I absolutely agree that RDM shouldn't have been sacked when he was. If Roman was going to be looking for any excuse to remove him he should not have appointed him during the summer. It was all very silly and a good man who did brilliantly for ye last year was disgracefully treated.

BUT, Benitez took over a **** storm. Players not happy; fans booing him on at Stamford Bridge. Results were a little shaky with all that going on but surely he deserves credit for sticking at it and getting the wins needed to deliver CL and a Cup Final? Precisely because you and thousands of other blues dislike him and disagreed with him being manager is why he has done a good job imo. A lessor man would have succumbed to the pressure and not even made it this far.

All that said, I don't think Chelsea should keep him on. And you'll struggle to find a bigger Rafa fan than me. The fans don't want him all told, and Jose is an inarguably superior manager. I like Jose and I've always liked some of your players (Cole is a ****ing warrior imo) so I genuinely wish ye the best after Rafa heads elsewhere.

Bits in bold are key IMO, good post. RDM shouldnt have been hired if he wasnt first choice, the waiting for Pep blew up in Romans face when he trotted off to Bayern, arguably Europe's dominant football force right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Well said grumpy.

Best thing is we didnt get Pep G. Basically send the powers that be back into a corner, whats come out of it though is a possible 1 yr extension for Lamps and Cole has already signed a 1yr deal.

The problem with hiring Jose is people like Cech/Cole/JT/Lamps they're his players, he'll be pushing for new contracts for them when the time comes around.

If Lamps/JT are suffering the backlash from pushing AVB out the door then why not stick with AVB in the first place, thats whats always annoyed me regarding the whole thing, the board sacked the manager knowing the players had a problem and decided to keep the players on board afterwards, now we're at our 2nd manager since then and only Drogba and a few stragglers have gone.

If the board are trying to push the old guard out they're doing a piss poor job and bringing in Rafa was going to get the crowd even more against them.

The ultimate power should be with the manager end of, but at this club thats not always the way, hoping our next manager isnt here for a months before another storm in a tea cup explodes.

The players have only seemed happy working under Jose or Carlo so its only natural the baord would run to Jose for a fix but it harps back to the origianl debate he shouldnt have been turfed out to begin with, same goes with Carlo.

That is what bugs me about this whole sorry affair. If they thought AVB was the man back him, show some metal say to the players he is our manager if you don't like it your gone at the end of the season. If you dont have the courage of your convictions then you cannot expect other people to have them.

By sacking AVB they gave into player power and they have made an even bigger horlicks of it since by trying to make a stand, headless chickens come to mind. Apparently Bruce Buck was quite shaken by the boo's which rung out around the Bridge when he made some form of a presentation on the pitch. That possibly is the best thing that happened this season, Roman may own the club but it is the fans that give it heart. If that is understood in the board room then this really painful season may not be totaaly a waste.

That is what bugs me about this whole sorry affair. If they thought AVB was the man back him, show some metal say to the players he is our manager if you don't like it your gone at the end of the season. If you dont have the courage of your convictions then you cannot expect other people to have them.

By sacking AVB they gave into player power and they have made an even bigger horlicks of it since by trying to make a stand, headless chickens come to mind. Apparently Bruce Buck was quite shaken by the boo's which rung out around the Bridge when he made some form of a presentation on the pitch. That possibly is the best thing that happened this season, Roman may own the club but it is the fans that give it heart. If that is understood in the board room then this really painful season may not be totaaly a waste.

What they should do is present Emenalo to the crowd, then theyed get an eye opener.

I agree with ya, without the 40k fans every week the club is nothing not to mention the millions spent on merchandise worldwide, without the fans any club is nothing and the chopping, changing of managers, while its succesfuly, trophy haul wise, it grates a lot when its guys you should stand behing, Jose, Carlo, AVB, RDM for at least a season.

Its them decisions that the fans wont stand for in the long term, the board are viewed as villians at this stage, Gourlay, Emenalo and Buck are getting the brunt of the anger as they offer a lot of advice to Roman but as owner the buck should stop with him and he has the ultimate say.

When you look at it really it goes back a long time. The last manager not to leave under a cloud (assuming you dont count Gus who was only ever short term) was perhaps Glenn Hoddle since then Rudi, Luca, Tinkerman, Jose, Grant, Big Phil, Carlo, AVB & RDM have been cut short.

You wouldn't mind, perhaps, but we have been winning trophies since Hoddle left.

So will we get our 3rd Youth Cup in 4 years. Looking forward to looking in on this tonight hope we can do it only a goal down after the first leg. Also hope some of these players start to show for the first team in the coming season's.

Between the nextgen cup and this it has been another good year for the youngsters, even better when you consider the amount of youngsters on loan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think Roman has gotten very lucky. If Jose was doing well at Real he'd probably stay on and then Chelsea would really struggle to find better manager than Rafa to take over. It would be very difficult to offer Rafa the full time job after everything as well. With Jose looking nailed on to become chelsea manager it's worked out well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Mata has played 116 games in two seasons for us. :eek: Scoring 30 goals and 59 assists. Has to be our player of the year this season. 18 goals and 36 assists. Incredible player.

Johner wrote: »
    Mata has played 116 games in two seasons for us. :eek: Scoring 30 goals and 59 assists. Has to be our player of the year this season. 18 goals and 36 assists. Incredible player.

Id second that. I cant wait to see how Hazard & Mata do next year,same with Oscar, that's 3 superstars we're very lucky too have.

And apparently Hazard's brother is better than him, mix in KdB and sideshow (if he ever actually togs out for us) then we possibly have such an exciting young team. The next manager (hopefully TSO) is inheriting a side with fantastic potential providing we can sort out a defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

PSG have rejected a bid to speak to Ancelotti from Real. Jose back to the bridge looking more likely.

• Advertisement

Thorgan Hazard looks like a decent prospect but I'd be surprised if he turns out at the same level as Eden, even though Eden himself said Thorgan is better.

Thorgan Hazard looks like a decent prospect but I'd be surprised if he turns out at the same level as Eden, even though Eden himself said Thorgan is better.

Not seen enough of him to have a realistic comment Eden and a few Belgian coaches do seem to think that. But potential is not always realised but if it is in this case he will be mustard.

Not seen enough of him to have a realistic comment Eden and a few Belgian coaches do seem to think that. But potential is not always realised but if it is in this case he will be mustard.

Could be big brother as well pushing him to reach a higher level.

He played a few games for the Reserves or Under age teams and there was highlights on the Chelsea TV he looked good, wonder how hes doing on loan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    All that said, I don't think Chelsea should keep him on. And you'll struggle to find a bigger Rafa fan than me. The fans don't want him all told, and Jose is an inarguably superior manager. I like Jose and I've always liked some of your players (Cole is a ****ing warrior imo) so I genuinely wish ye the best after Rafa heads elsewhere.

The only acceptable reason for Chelsea letting Benitez off is because the fans don't want him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Rumour flying around Facebook and Twitter at the moment that Eden Hazard is fit for Wednesday night! Fingers crossed it's true, would be the biggest boost for Chelsea going into that final.

dfx- wrote: »
    The only acceptable reason for Chelsea letting Benitez off is because the fans don't want him.

100 % agree.

Although imagine the rage if he was made permanent manager.

And is that a bad thing?

Interesting article the last part in italics is a different Liverpool supporters view

http://www.chelseadaft.org/2013/05/has-benitez-been-chelsea-success-at.html?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Disagree. If Mourinho was available and wanted to comeback its a no brainer.

And is that a bad thing?

Could be. If the fans' opinion was that important to Abramovich in the first place, he'd not have appointed him. It's another mood swing..

+ you have to call into doubt the expertise of the fans to be dictating such appointments. Even at fans' owned clubs, we leave the appointment to the board.

Could be. If the fans' opinion was that important to Abramovich in the first place, he'd not have appointed him. It's another mood swing..

+ you have to call into doubt the expertise of the fans to be dictating such appointments. Even at fans' owned clubs, we leave the appointment to the board.

True enough.

You do have to wonder about Roman and what he thinks of the fans, are we just an inconvience or is he just like one of us playing real life fantasy football. He is a difficult guy to fathom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

After the season we've had and after securing UCL football next season, with a possible EL trophy, I say " thanks Rafa, best of luck in the future"

I wasn't his biggest fan but hes come in and done a job in pretty hostile circumstances.

I hope he gets a good send off and there's none of this boo boy nonsense v Everton,
    As a collective, unfortunately we have a reputation of being 'classless' and we really don't need to fan those particular flames.
    I'm not talking banners and 'plastic flags' ;) just give him a cheer and lets move on, time to recognise hes not just the former Liverpool manager, hes part of our history now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

A beauty from Boga , fine solo goal 1up 1-1 agg

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

A beauty from Boga , fine solo goal 1up 1-1 agg

Under pressure now, losing 3 1 on aggregate, still look very lively going forward.

Good to see Lamps and Cole in the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Half hour special on Mata tonite on SS news for anyone interested.Started at 8.30. First half was interesting enough - got to see his gaff in London.

Meeting Torres for coffee in second half.

Was hoping it would be Zola v. Poyet in the Championship play-off Final, but Palace looking like beating Brighton at the moment...

Also, Chelsea youths getting hopped off, 4-1 on aggregate now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Detour

Good season overall from Cheslea in the end. Grateful to Rafa for what he's achieved (esp in the last couple of months). Back in the Champions League spots, unlucky in the FA cup, potential silverware.

Thanks Rafa - you've done well by the club, and your reputation has been enhanced, but it's time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Detour

Also, what do people think of the Rooney rumours? Do we want him? He'll certainly need to go back playing the lone striker role like back in the 2010/2011.

• Advertisement

Detour wrote: »
    Also, what do people think of the Rooney rumours? Do we want him? He'll certainly need to go back playing the lone striker role like back in the 2010/2011.

No interest in him actually.

Bring back Lukaku how many EPL goals those he have? 14, 15?

I'd expect him to get a few more with the talent at our disposal.

Wouldn't want Rooney. 3 or 4 years ago, yes. Snap the hand off United to get him. Not now. No way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

DazMarz wrote: »
    Wouldn't want Rooney. 3 or 4 years ago, yes. Snap the hand off United to get him. Not now. No way.

Wouldn't touch Rooney either. There are better ways to spend that amount of money.

Somehow though I don't believe the 'interest' is real. I think there's a bit of messing with Moyes' mind going on.

Detour wrote: »
    Good season overall from Cheslea in the end. Grateful to Rafa for what he's achieved (esp in the last couple of months). Back in the Champions League spots, unlucky in the FA cup, potential silverware.

Thanks Rafa - you've done well by the club, and your reputation has been enhanced, but it's time to move on.

Should do the decent thing and applaud him at the Everton match. Especially if we win the Europa League.

He's done his job.

Killinator wrote: »
    After the season we've had and after securing UCL football next season, with a possible EL trophy, I say " thanks Rafa, best of luck in the future"

I wasn't his biggest fan but hes come in and done a job in pretty hostile circumstances.

I hope he gets a good send off and there's none of this boo boy nonsense v Everton,
    As a collective, unfortunately we have a reputation of being 'classless' and we really don't need to fan those particular flames.
    I'm not talking banners and 'plastic flags' ;) just give him a cheer and lets move on, time to recognise hes not just the former Liverpool manager, hes part of our history now.
    Well said.

McDave wrote: »
    Should do the decent thing and applaud him at the Everton match. Especially if we win the Europa League.

He's done his job.

Cheer Moyes as well for taking the Utd job and giving us a clear run at Jose. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Unless Jose can persuade Wayne off the pies and fags, steer clear. Strangely, the persistent rumour is that Jose is a Rooney fan. It depends whether Jose sees Rooney as at the start of a slow but irrevocable decline (I know I do) because of his lifestyle/fitness or a striker at the peak of his powers at 27/28.

Be also interesting to see if Jose has any more control over transfers (think: Shevchenko) than the last time.

Errr....assuming that TSO is the next Chelsea manager.

Mancini sacked.

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Unless Jose can persuade Wayne off the pies and fags, steer clear. Strangely, the persistent rumour is that Jose is a Rooney fan. It depends whether Jose sees Rooney as at the start of a slow but irrevocable decline (I know I do) because of his lifestyle/fitness or a striker at the peak of his powers at 27/28.

Be also interesting to see if Jose has any more control over transfers (think: Shevchenko) than the last time.

Errr....assuming that TSO is the next Chelsea manager.

Seems like an open secret that he's out of Madrid. And Chelsea bound.

I think the rest is just haggling, e.g. over the get-out clause.

Mancini sacked.

That was almost Romanesque.

I'll get my hat.

• Advertisement

Jose to City :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Did laugh about Mancini. I know we did the same to Ancelotti but still. They're gaining haha :D God forbid Jose goes there and we get stuck with Pellegrini or if Roman trolls us all and appoints Rafa permanently..

Jose to City :pac:

Crossed my mind too, esp. with Pellegrini's MC denial. But if Jose was going to Manchester, IMO it would have been to Utd.

The Chelsea job is his for the taking. Only Abramovich can duck it up now. But my guess is that the principle of the deal has already been done, and details (like the 17 million get clause!) are being worked out.

I'd be very very surprised if Jose ends up at Man City next year.

Nightmare scenario: José to City, Pellegrini to Everton, Rafa to Malaga... Mancini to Chelsea...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :eek: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Torres definitely was worth the €50M

"Mata is also quick to reveal another of the reasons he came to London - Spain and Chelsea team-mate Fernando Torres.

"He (Torres) was calling me, trying to get me here," Mata added. "He knew I would enjoy it here. I am grateful to him - he was an important part to why I came."

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/news/8711399/chelsea-playmaker-juan-mata-tells-special-report-he-feels-right-at-home-in-london

Legion. wrote: »
    Did laugh about Mancini. I know we did the same to Ancelotti but still. They're gaining haha :D God forbid Jose goes there and we get stuck with Pellegrini or if Roman trolls us all and appoints Rafa permanently..

If RA can't land Jose, he's a busted flush in big time soccer.

There's a lot riding on this. It's not a matter of wheeler-dealing. It's a test of RA's ability to build a long-term strategy to establish CFC as the No. 1 club in England. Nothing less.

Nightmare scenario: José to City, Pellegrini to Everton, Rafa to Malaga... Mancini to Chelsea...

Wonder what odds ya get on that :pac:

:pac:

All the while Madrid might get the best deal in Ancelotti. Some Summer ahead..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement