Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

dfx- wrote: »
    :pac:

All the while Madrid might get the best deal in Ancelotti. Some Summer ahead..

T'was a very tongue in cheek post and not likely to ever happen (especially the Pellegrini one.

But yeah, if Madrid get Ancelotti... dear god. He's a pure class manager and seems to be a class act of a person too. He'd be THE man for that job and I'd have a feeling that he'd get them a Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,761 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Mancini sacked.

I said it before, 2nd is possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

duploelabs wrote: »
    I said it before, 2nd is possible!

City have to lose their last 2 games and we've to beat Everton for that to happen though, I just cant see them losing 2 on the spin.

The players and staff areon the way to Amsterdam, coach left this morning.

Hope they can come back with another European trophy.

With JT and Hazard out what do we expect for this game?

Cech
    Azp Cahill Ivan Cole
    Luiz Lamps
    Ramires Mata Oscar
    Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Expectation seems to be that Luiz will drop back to CB with Branner, Cahill won't be involved, Lampard starts as captain.

Any uber-nerds know what hotel the team are staying in?

Bateman wrote: »
    Expectation seems to be that Luiz will drop back to CB with Branner, Cahill won't be involved, Lampard starts as captain.

Any uber-nerds know what hotel the team are staying in?

No idea of the hotel, its even impossible to find anyhting on line it seems.

I'd say you might find something over on one of the UK Chelsea forums though.

The squad that travelled over to Amsterdam in full.

Goalkeepers
    Petr Cech
    Ross Turnbull
    Hilario
    Jamal Blackman

Defenders
    Paulo Ferreira
    Cesar Azpilicueta
    John Terry
    Branislav Ivanovic
    Gary Cahill
    David Luiz
    Ashley Cole
    Ryan Bertrand

Midfielders
    Ramires
    Frank Lampard
    John Mikel Obi
    Oriol Romeu
    Nathan Ake
    Victor Moses
    Marko Marin
    Yossi Benayoun
    Juan Mata
    Eden Hazard
    Oscar

Forwards
    Fernando Torres
    Demba Ba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,761 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

So basically everyone!
    The squad that travelled over to Amsterdam in full.

Goalkeepers
    Petr Cech
    Ross Turnbull
    Hilario
    Jamal Blackman

Defenders
    Paulo Ferreira
    Cesar Azpilicueta
    John Terry
    Branislav Ivanovic
    Gary Cahill
    David Luiz
    Ashley Cole
    Ryan Bertrand

Midfielders
    Ramires
    Frank Lampard
    John Mikel Obi
    Oriol Romeu
    Nathan Ake
    Victor Moses
    Marko Marin
    Yossi Benayoun
    Juan Mata
    Eden Hazard
    Oscar

Forwards
    Fernando Torres
    Demba Ba

Yup, everyone travelled and there winners and runners up get 40 medals to distribute among the players and staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Yup, everyone travelled and there winners and runners up get 40 medals to distribute among the players and staff.

i feel another song for ross turnbill coming on :)

Ba is going to get a medal for being a tourist, happy days. :pac:

Ba has been cup tied for the whole campaign, bit pointless putting him in the "traveller" list. Wonder would they really give him a medal if they win it

Ba has been cup tied for the whole campaign, bit pointless putting him in the "traveller" list. Wonder would they really give him a medal if they win it

I think hes travelled anyway to all the away trips.

No point leaving at home I suppose and theres no other striker other then Torres, thats still at the club, that has played this season so I assume he'll get one for his contribution to the season since hes come in.

25 players travelled, 15 more medals to hand out.

Rafa - Gaffer
    Stevie Holland - Assistant
    B.Zenden - Assistant
    C.Lincollon (sp) Gk Coach
    P .D Miguel - Fitness
    Chris Jones - Fitness
    Eva Carniero - Doctor

Just some of the main candidates for medlas, there is others working as part of scouting opposition and analysts that could get a medal, now they wont go up with the 1st team to get the trophy but its up to the club who they give the remaining medals too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Heres the Mata - Special Report for anyone that missed it.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/8711939/special-report-juan-mata

good on didier droba in response to Fenerbahce fans racially abusing him at the weekend posted on the Galatasaray facebook page

drogba.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

http://www.teamtalk.com/chelsea/8712049/Rafa-has-only-been-average-at-Blues this for me sums up rafas season. Huge overreaction to how successful he has been. He's been average. I'm glad someone (teamtalk) agrees with me! Don't mean to keep going on about him but came across this today.

If he was told by the board to finish top 4 and win a cup then he has been a success.

The main aim this season after been dumped out of the UCL was to make sure we finish top 4 again, if we could add a trophy to go with it then its all well and good.

We'll see what tomorrow night brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

If he was told by the board to finish top 4 and win a cup then he has been a success.

The main aim this season after been dumped out of the UCL was to make sure we finish top 4 again, if we could add a trophy to go with it then its all well and good.

We'll see what tomorrow night brings.
    At most one of the most lowly rated cup we entered into. Trophies are nice fair enough but some are worth alot Less.

fozz10 wrote: »
    At most one of the most lowly rated cup we entered into. Trophies are nice fair enough but some are worth alot Less.

After the UCL & EPL I'd rate it as the most important, then the FA Cup, Club World Championship & League Cup, Community shield.

established core of Petr Cech, John Terry, Lampard and David Luiz, it's hard to see how Chelsea have struggled in the league

This is a bit of a sloppy argument.

Luiz is a young player trying to find his best position, he is certainly not part of the old guard.

Cech has had 2 fine seasons in a row, but Terry and Lampard simply haven't been fully fit for a lot of the time Benitez has been there. Much has been made of how he hasn't picked them when available, but if their fitness had been better, they would have been great rotation options for him.

There is no real stark facts in the article to make you think he has done only an "avarage" job.

• Advertisement

established core of Petr Cech, John Terry, Lampard and David Luiz, it's hard to see how Chelsea have struggled in the league

This is a bit of a sloppy argument.

Luiz is a young player trying to find his best position, he is certainly not part of the old guard.

Cech has had 2 fine seasons in a row, but Terry and Lampard simply haven't been fully fit for a lot of the time Benitez has been there. Much has been made of how he hasn't picked them when available, but if their fitness had been better, they would have been great rotation options for him.

There is no real stark facts in the article to make you think he has done only an "avarage" job.

I wouldnt say hes done a great job but he hasnt done a poor job, hes been good IMO, could have been better but by no means poor or average given what he had to do and how many games he had to play with the limited squad he had to work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

If Mourinho comes back do you think he could bring out an even better side of Luis ?

I feel that lad has amazing potential and can be a lot better then he is ,
    especially if he can cut out the blunders he makes.

He can be the new Rock ...

the_monkey wrote: »
    If Mourinho comes back do you think he could bring out an even better side of Luis ?

I feel that lad has amazing potential and can be a lot better then he is ,
    especially if he can cut out the blunders he makes.

He can be the new Rock ...

Well he might try turn him into the new Carvalho.

Like Luiz, Ricky was good on the ball, loved joining the attack and had an eye for a pass, now Luiz is a step up on Carvalho on that regard but Carvalho was by miles a better defender.

If Jose could install some better awareness and positional sense he'll be an excellent CB, if not, just keep him in CM. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Detour

I think people need to stop getting so hysterical about Rafa. To be honest, we were lucky to get a manager of his caliber half way through the season - if not him, who else? After a shaky start he's done a solid job.

He's not the greatest Chelsea manager of recent times, but he's not as bad as some fans have painted him. Biggest embarrassment this season was those fans with their 'Rafa Out' signs. Jesus.

Anyway, he'll soon be out, and we can cross our fingers that Jose comes back, hopefully for the long haul.

I really don't agree that CL qualification could/should have been secured much easier than it has been done, with one final home game to spare.

The manner in which Spurs (late fightbacks) and Arsenal (grinding out results) have fought for CL qualification has been ferocious and for one of them to lose out can only be a positive reflection on Benitez. There is no grey area here, qualification or non-qualification for the CL is a black and white issue. Lifting one or both of the EL and FA Cup are also positive reflections on Benitez - they can't be anything other than that.

You could say most other managers could have achieved what he has done - but this is churlish as it's opinion - fact is other managers didn't get the gig, he did, and he's made a success of it.

Detour wrote: »
    I think people need to stop getting so hysterical about Rafa. To be honest, we were lucky to get a manager of his caliber half way through the season - if not him, who else? After a shaky start he's done a solid job.

He's not the greatest Chelsea manager of recent times, but he's not as bad as some fans have painted him. Biggest embarrassment this season was those fans with their 'Rafa Out' signs. Jesus.

Anyway, he'll soon be out, and we can cross our fingers that Jose comes back, hopefully for the long haul.

We could have got 'Arry. Now that would have been terrible.

/Shudder

Look at it this way, currently we're on 72 points, thats 8 points better off then we were last year and we've a game left.

Spurs finished 4th last year on 69 pts and Arsenal 3rd on 70 pts, its looking like you'll need at least 72 to get 4th this year.

Yeah, it's also interesting to look at the points that won the League in years gone by, and how that can fluctuate wildly too:

2012/13: 88 as it stands; potentially 91
    2011/12: 89 (won on goal difference)
    2010/11: 80
    2009/10: 86
    2008/09: 90
    2007/08: 87
    2006/07: 89
    2005/06: 91
    2004/05: 95
    2003/04: 90
    2002/03: 83
    2001/02: 87
    2000/01: 80
    1999/00: 91
    1998/99: 79
    1997/98: 78
    1996/97: 75
    1995/96: 82
    1994/95: 89 (first Premier League with 20 teams)

The swings have been enormous in some seasons. A winning total from last season could see you finish as low as 3rd or 4th the following season. Everything changes from year to year and the only consistent thing in the Premier League is the inconsistency of points totals.

It proves that Van Persie didn't win the league for United, their own collective consistency did. He just scored goals that someone else would otherwise have scored.

That 95 by Jose in his debut season is outstanding.

More of that next year please. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

It proves that Van Persie didn't win the league for United, their own collective consistency did. He just scored goals that someone else would otherwise have scored.

It proves that, does it? :confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Balls, Hazard out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Big loss that

shiiiiiiiiiit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I reckon we'll line up like so

----Cech----
    Azp-Cahill-Ivan-Cole
    ----Luiz--Ramires--
    Oscar-Mata-Moses
    Torres----

Lamps may be in line for a start in that case he may put Luiz back at CB and start Ramires on the wing.

Lukker- wrote: »
    I reckon we'll line up like so

----Cech----
    Azp-Cahill-Ivan-Cole
    ----Luiz--Ramires--
    Oscar-Mata-Moses
    Torres----

Lamps may be in line for a start in that case he may put Luiz back at CB and start Ramires on the wing.

Ramires on the wing, I dont think I'd trust Moses TBH.

Although Cahill has been piss poor the last 2 games so could be as with Luiz at CB and Lamps CM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

From The Mirror
    Arsene Wenger and Rafa Benitez could face the nightmare of a play-off for third place.

Arsenal, who beat Wigan 4-1 on Tuesday, and Chelsea are ­agonisingly close to finishing with the same points, same goal difference, and even the same number of goals scored and conceded after this weekend's final round of matches.

If the Gunners win 2-1 at Newcastle on Sunday and the Stamford Bridge club draw 0-0 at home Everton, the clubs will be tied with identical figures.

The Premier League confirmed on Tuesday night that Chelsea's home-and-away wins over their London rivals would not be used as a tie-breaker and that, instead, there would be a play-off for third place - with ­automatic entry to the Champions League's group phase at stake.

The losers would finish fourth and have to negotiate a two-leg play-off in August to reach the Champions League proper,

The situation is complicated by the fact that Chelsea head straight off to the United States after Sunday's matches to play Manchester City in two friendlies on May 23 and 25.

After that, England play two friendlies, against the Republic of Ireland at Wembley on May 29 and Brazil in Rio on June 2.

The victory over Wigan makes it nine games without defeat for Arsenal, and goalscorer Aaron Ramsey said: “It’s a perfect way to finish the season here.

“We did what we had to do. Now we have one game left to get the job done and get that Champions League place.”

The chances of those two results clicking exactly is highly unlikely. The Mirror trying to make a story from nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Frank Lampard is understood to have agreed a new one-year deal to remain at Chelsea next season, ending speculation over the future of the club’s record goalscorer in a move that will also appease supporters. An announcement will be made shortly.

Telegraph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

DazMarz wrote: »
    The chances of those two results clicking exactly is highly unlikely. The Mirror trying to make a story from nothing.
    Doesnt even have to be that result set. If Arsenal win by 1, but score two more than Chelsea draw, it's a play off.

3-2 and 1-1 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Hard to believe that by this time tomorrow Ross Turnbull could have 2 European Cup winners medals... despite averaging about 4 appearances a season.

Good news on the potential Lamps deal, also I cant see a play off happening at all.

Its very unlikely.

Actually quick question, now that Wigan are down any chance we'll be in for James McCarthy?

I presume he'll be gone, they'll easily get 10-15 Million for him.

from todays sun

CHELSEA are ready to fight Manchester City for Napoli’s Edinson Cavani.
    The Italians always insist they will accept no less than the £52million buy-out clause in the striker’s contract.
    City’s director of football Txiki Begiristain sought to steal a march on the Stamford Bridge club this year.
    But Napoli president Aurelio de Laurentiis was understood to be in London yesterday talking to Chelsea about the Uruguayan, who has hit 103 goals in 137 Napoli games.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4928018/Edinson-Cavani-will-be-fought-over-by-Chelsea-and-Manchester-City.html

Actually quick question, now that Wigan are down any chance we'll be in for James McCarthy?

I presume he'll be gone, they'll easily get 10-15 Million for him.

we have been consistently linked with him but would he get his game or be another parker, sidwell

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »
    we have been consistently linked with him but would he get his game or be another parker, sidwell

I think back when we signed Parker, Sidwell we had a much better CM so they really suffered, also I dont think Parker is a great CM, hes very one dimensional in his play.

Now a days the only nailed on started in our CM is Ramires, back then we had Lamps, Essien in their primes and they were brilliant.

Next year it looks like we'll have Lamps, Ramires, Essien, Josh Mac, Romeu, Mikel all hoping for a game in CM.

We can also play Luiz in CM and nobody knows whats happening with Kevin DeBruyne but he can play CM.

Usually this EL final I wouldn't care much about, but I work with 2 Portuguese lads who follow Benfica, and this is huge for them - and they are annoying me about it ... so Chelsea have to win this

Have to

Have to

Have to .......

Good news on the potential Lamps deal, also I cant see a play off happening at all.

Its very unlikely.

Playoff ? for what ?

edit - now I see it , it's ridiculous, surely in a situation like that our H2H should count ??

anyway, very unlikely ...

the_monkey wrote: »
    Playoff ? for what ?

Depending on the results on sunday we might have to play Arsenal to see who gets 3rd outright.

Needs a certain set of results to happen, we've to draw and Arsenal have to win by certain amount.

As long as we match or better the Arsenal result we'll be 3rd.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement