Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Replacement Car Tyres

• 16-01-2013 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good place to get my car tyres replaced? I haven't done it for 4 or 5 years (bought a new car in the meantime) and prices seem to have risen alarmingly. Last time out, I got decent mid-range tyres for 70 yos a pop, now (having endured the deepest recession in the history of ... blah, blah, blah) I am getting quoted upwards of €100 per tyre - I was expecting prices to have gone DOWN!
    Can anyone recommend a decent, honest operator who will sell me a good quality product for a reasonable price?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Hard to recommend anybody TBH.

Quality and reliability and guarantee costs, and there are only a few big brands worth trusting.

Centre Park Road has a few, call around and chat to them, Southlink and S Tyres and there might be more.

Dessie in Blackpool always seems to get a good mention and so on. I think the lower quality of the tyres on sale are probably equal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

+1 for Dessies. They sell a lot of Firestones and I've always thought you couldn't get a better tyre cheaper.

You really have to be careful with tyres. Not all tyre centres do all brands. You can get a brilliant tyre for €10 more than a crap one and when you're thinking about safety, longevity and refinement (road noise etc), there are few that will do everything you want at a low price.

Just open the phone book with the size to hand and make sure they're quoting for all season tyres, fitting, disposal, valves, balancing and "four wheel tracking" and of course, make sure they're "E-marked" but I don't know if you can get them without these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 strokle

I would highly recommend kevin mcgann of glounthane tyres near little island! Great quality tyres at a great price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭blindsider

cantdecide wrote: »
    +1 for Dessies. They sell a lot of Firestones and I've always thought you couldn't get a better tyre cheaper.

You really have to be careful with tyres. Not all tyre centres do all brands. You can get a brilliant tyre for €10 more than a crap one and when you're thinking about safety, longevity and refinement (road noise etc), there are few that will do everything you want at a low price.

Just open the phone book with the size to hand and make sure they're quoting for all season tyres, fitting, disposal, valves, balancing and "four wheel tracking" and of course, make sure they're "E-marked" but I don't know if you can get them without these days.

Both these x 100.

As on another thread, I recommend Fastfit in Togher 021 496 1022, but def. ring around and get quotes ...and haggle. Look for 10% off - you'll get it eventually - esp. if you pay cash.

If you do a fair bit of mileage, or have kids in the car often etc, D NOT SKIMP on tyres. for an extra €40 you will get a good set of tyres.

I know it's a bit trite, but those few inches of rubber are all that separate you from the road.

(I have no connection with any business in the motor trade.)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

The price depends on the size you need.

I'd second fast fit in togher, great guys to deal with.
    Go for a decent brand, not some cheap crap, i'd never scrimp on tyres as it's what holds your car to the road, the difference in stopping distance between good and bad tyres could save your life.

If possible go for whatever tyres came on your car from the manufacturer as they would suit best.

• Advertisement

Forge hill tyres ordered in nice dunlops for my Dad's car, €70 each, i priced them at £50 each on the internet not including fitting so I reckon Forge Hill tyres were very competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

I've always found the place on.vicars rd (togher) good.

the used to be red tag, they're called smilies now

pretty sure they have a place in ballincollig as well

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭familystand

Treadwell tyres are in the marina commercial park, they are quite good price wise, Do u kinow the exact sizes of your tyres ? its printed on the sidewall of your tyres , ring around and compare is always the best option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

I got a new tyre on Satuday from FastFit in Togher.

195x165x15. It was a KingStar by Hankook..

Cost Me €65.00 all in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Any one use the fela in Deneheys cross?35 quid a tyre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

Any one use the fela in Deneheys cross?35 quid a tyre?

35 quid is second hand territory. Have 2 of them on my car but watch out for tyre age ..some of these tyres can be upto 10 years old, look closely at tyre for 4 numbers on their own = mmyy....anything over 6 years without e num fails nct.

I got 2 15" winter tyres second hand for €50 in skibbereen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

grange mac wrote: »
    35 quid is second hand territory. Have 2 of them on my car but watch out for tyre age ..some of these tyres can be upto 10 years old, look closely at tyre for 4 numbers on their own = mmyy....anything over 6 years with e num fails nct.

I got 2 15" winter tyres second hand for €50 in skibbereen though.

Ya there german tyres or something and the german minimum thread debt is much higher then ours here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Thanks to everyone for your replies. My tyres are 205/65 R15, which apparently is quite big and rather unusual. After ringing around a bit (to all the companies mentioned on this thread), I didn't get any offer I thought was great value - everything was around €100 a pop for a decent brand. I decided to go with FastFit in Togher who gave me 4 Hankook Kinergy Ecos for €420 all in.
    I could have probably saved a few quid by buying the tyres from Camskill (the same tyres would have cost €315 delivered to my house) and paying to have them fitted (€20 a wheel or so?) but decided to avoid the hassle and get the job done locally.
    Also, it is worth mentioning that FastFit offers a kind of "insurance" policy with Hankook tyres, whereby you get free puncture repairs for the life of the tyres and free replacement (decreasing, based on the wear of the tyres - 50% worn, you pay 50% of the cost etc.) if you have a blowout or need to replace a tyre. As the Tesco lady says: "Every little helps"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for your replies. My tyres are 205/65 R15, which apparently is quite big and rather unusual. After ringing around a bit (to all the companies mentioned on this thread), I didn't get any offer I thought was great value - everything was around €100 a pop for a decent brand. I decided to go with FastFit in Togher who gave me 4 Hankook Kinergy Ecos for €420 all in.
    I could have probably saved a few quid by buying the tyres from Camskill (the same tyres would have cost €315 delivered to my house) and paying to have them fitted (€20 a wheel or so?) but decided to avoid the hassle and get the job done locally.
    Also, it is worth mentioning that FastFit offers a kind of "insurance" policy with Hankook tyres, whereby you get free puncture repairs for the life of the tyres and free replacement (decreasing, based on the wear of the tyres - 50% worn, you pay 50% of the cost etc.) if you have a blowout or need to replace a tyre. As the Tesco lady says: "Every little helps"!

That's why I bought Hankooks there.

Great offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for your replies. My tyres are 205/65 R15

Sounds like a funny size alright. Out of curiosity, is it a small 4x4 or something like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

cantdecide wrote: »
    Sounds like a funny size alright. Out of curiosity, is it a small 4x4 or something like that?

The first question everybody I rang (for a quote) asked was: "Is that a 7-seater, by any chance?" The car is actually a Renault Fluence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

grange mac wrote: »
    35 quid is second hand territory. Have 2 of them on my car but watch out for tyre age ..some of these tyres can be upto 10 years old, look closely at tyre for 4 numbers on their own = mmyy....anything over 6 years without e num fails nct.

I think it's illegal to sell tyres now without the e num.

Advertisement