Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smokey eyes palette for brown eyes

• 16-01-2013 6:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hey I would really appreciate advice for getting smokey eyes look for someone with no proper knowledge of blending, contouring, etc. to anything near professional level, or intermediate even. So far I've only used two shadows at a time.

I was looking around the brands like Rimmel and Bourjois today and came across an all-in-one eyeshadow quad by Rimmel for smokey eyes which number codes the colours at the back to help you achieve the smokey eye look yourself. The colours were navy, grey, beigey. I was thinking about getting it but before I did I thought I'd ask on here if anyone has any recommendations for a good simple all-in-one kit like this? Is anyone familiar with this Rimmel one or know of another good one?

I'm not fussy on colours- I'd be happy to try other colours too to get the smokey eye look. Appreciate any advice, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

I use the Urban decay naked palette 1 for smokey eyes. You basically want to have a light highlight shade,a medium lid shade and a darker crease shade and then eyeliner. It just takes practice. Personally, I think the best thing I own for achieving the look is a Domed blending brush so the eyeshadow is soft and smokey.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ella1991

Benefit have a 'smokey eyes' set. Its really good :)
    And it shows you how to do it on the package.
    I would also recommend Naked 2 by Urban Decay but there is loads of colours in this palette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I have brown eyes and I have both the urban decay naked pallets, I'm a big fan of those! Absolutely love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cathug10

A cheaper alternative is the eye pallet for brown eyes by NYC it has how to make a smokey eye on the back of the packet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I've brown eyes and use urban decay naked pallettes.

Borjois do sets of three shadows too which are nice

and there is an MUA pallette you can get thats very like naked pallette I think its called Naked or something like it too!

Loreal and smashbox do pallettes specifically for different eye colours but i've not used those myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

If you are looking for cheaper options, Sleek have some lovely palettes that have nice colour for a really decent price. www.cloud10beauty.com have a nice selection of Sleek palettes.

The joy of brown eyes is that you can pull off most smokey eye colours (blues, purples, browns, warm oranges etc.) so just play around with colour and blending and you will soon learn what looks good and what doesn't look so good on your eyes. There are mother loads of tutorials on youtube for blending etc. and practice really is the best way to figure out what you like on your own face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

If you are looking for cheaper options, Sleek have some lovely palettes that have nice colour for a really decent price. www.cloud10beauty.com have a nice selection of Sleek palettes.

The joy of brown eyes is that you can pull off most smokey eye colours (blues, purples, browns, warm oranges etc.) so just play around with colour and blending and you will soon learn what looks good and what doesn't look so good on your eyes. There are mother loads of tutorials on youtube for blending etc. and practice really is the best way to figure out what you like on your own face.

Thanks everyone, I'm gonna try the NYC that cathug recommended just because it's going to be better price range to get ideas with but I'll check Benefit and UD out soon as well. Hearing loads of good things about Urban Decay, have to check them out.

I've used orange and burnt orange before and it looked great but I'm not sure how to make this smokey? The orange I'd imagine would be the second colour? Is that right? Like use a pale base like a light beige/white, then the orange, then ?? :)

I got a makeover in Mac recently and they used burgundy with pink for the smokey eyes effect but I actually didn't like it on my skin, I'm naturally too pale and they gave me corpse white for a base with lots of blush, etc. Mac is just so hit and miss with the help you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

pog it wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, I'm gonna try the NYC that cathug recommended just because it's going to be better price range to get ideas with but I'll check Benefit and UD out soon as well. Hearing loads of good things about Urban Decay, have to check them out.

I've used orange and burnt orange before and it looked great but I'm not sure how to make this smokey? The orange I'd imagine would be the second colour? Is that right? Like use a pale base like a light beige/white, then the orange, then ?? :)

I got a makeover in Mac recently and they used burgundy with pink for the smokey eyes effect but I actually didn't like it on my skin, I'm naturally too pale and they gave me corpse white for a base with lots of blush, etc. Mac is just so hit and miss with the help you get.

I'd use a matte black or dark brown as the third colour. I imagine you want to achieve something like this?

default.jpg

So you'd be using a shimmery white/cream all over from the bottom of your lid to your eyebrows. Then you'd use the orange along the brow bone, and then a little bit of black on the brow bone and in the outer corners, together with some black liquid eyeliner on the top, loads of black kohl liner on the bottom and then more orange below the bottom lashes.

There are thousands of great tutorials on Youtube. Search for "orange smokey eyeshadow" and you're guaranteed to find one that will go through it step by step!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Inglot do amazing shadows. You can get them in sets of 2, 5 and 10 I think. While it doesn't tell you on the back how to use them, the girls are great and will help you pick colours and give you advice on how to apply. Not that expensive either given the size and quality. I think 2 colours will set u back €15 but a lesser quality palette in boots would be nearly a tenner. It's easier as well when you've got just 2 colours to work with. All the palettes mentioned above are amazing but the choices can be a bit overwhelming if you don't know how to use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I'd recommend any of the Naked palettes, Inglot shadows as well cause you can make your own palettes and Smashbox have lovely palettes for different colour eyes which are lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 shortie111

I recently bought Urban Decay Naked and there's loads of shades to suit brown eyes. The brush that comes with it is great. Although it is that little bit pricey, I'd defo recommend if you can afford it :)

Advertisement