Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Emobile

Options
  • 16-01-2013 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭

Lads,

I was in meteor today looking for a phone for my gf, the model I wanted for her is not in stock anymore so i went to the emobile store in blanchardstown who have the same phone for the same price. The guy in emobile blanch assured me a meteor sim would NOT work in an emobile phone? He says my gf would have to port her number but i have read a few times that meteor and emobile operate on similar networks therefore should work. Emobiles call rates are not the best imo so therefore would feel silly porting a number over to them...

Whats the official position on this? Will a meteor sim work in an emobile handset? If so I'll buy it tommorow.

Was the guy in blanch just fobbing me off today? I dont like people trying to take me for a fool :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's a new one.. they both share the same physical network and when you call "customer care" it's routed to the exact same centre in Cork where the same staff deal with both (it's just different databases). Billing ops, complaints etc all handled by the same people too.

When/if you buy your "emobile" phone it'll most likely have the Meteor APN settings on it.

I can't imagine therefore why either SIM wouldn't work in a phone bought from one of their stores - I've certainly never had any problems anyway.
    You may need to make sure that you have the right size SIM for the phone you want but I'd imagine that's all.

I can't think of the guy's name but there was a "big" fella in charge of the Blanch store when I was last in there and then back to him when the callcentre inevitably screwed things up... look for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    That's a new one.. they both share the same physical network and when you call "customer care" it's routed to the exact same centre in Cork where the same staff deal with both (it's just different databases). Billing ops, complaints etc all handled by the same people too.

When/if you buy your "emobile" phone it'll most likely have the Meteor APN settings on it.

I can't imagine therefore why either SIM wouldn't work in a phone bought from one of their stores - I've certainly never had any problems anyway.
    You may need to make sure that you have the right size SIM for the phone you want but I'd imagine that's all.

I can't think of the guy's name but there was a "big" fella in charge of the Blanch store when I was last in there and then back to him when the callcentre inevitably screwed things up... look for him.

I know well it will work but the way he was going on trying to scare me that I will be forced to port the meteor number to emobile as the phone wont work otherwise. He was a small little fella I was dealing with, he said emobile are a completely differant company to meteor and have no compatability with eachother. I guess he was trying to earn abit of commision for himself and I suppose it's in his own interest really to get people onto emobile so he can guarantee himself a job everyday. He didnt fool me though but I still wanted some feedback from someone here. :cool:

Anyways thanks for that info :). I will def buy the phone in the morning with emobile and report back here that (hopefully) it does in fact take the meteor sim.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I got an iPhone from eMobile and gave it to my wife. She uses it with her meteor sim straight out of the box. Never had an issue.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Meteor and eMobile both use the 272-03 MCC/MNC code so the phone wouldn't know any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Update: Yes our meteor sim works perfectly in an emobile handset. The guy in store was obviously talking rubbish. I bought the phone with a new emobile sim and then binned the sim outside the shop lol.

• Advertisement
Advertisement