Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timer for a switch

• 16-01-2013 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This is probably a stupid question but about 20 minutes of searching hasn't gotten me an answer.

I have just moved into an apartment with an old water heater. It has a switch to turn it on / off (no other functionality) and the switch is a rectangle, about 1.5cm high and about 3cm wide. When you push on for example the right hand side to turn the water heater on, the left hand side of the switch is then jutting out, and you push that in to turn it off etc etc. So quite standard switch.

I would like to buy some type of timer to put on top of the switch to allow me to time it on and off, but I don't want to actually wire something into it, I just want a timer with a little mechanical device which will push the switch in when it is to turn it on, and push the other side to turn it off.......

any idea whether it's possible to buy something like this? If so, where...

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Are you thinking of a clockwork mechanical device or can it be electrical and connected to a power source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

A pic would help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I will get a pic when I'm home this evening. Ideally battery powered as connecting it up to a power source would require either wiring or plugging it in...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,047 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

padser wrote: »
    I will get a pic when I'm home this evening. Ideally battery powered as connecting it up to a power source would require either wiring or plugging it in...
    What you are looking for is not available, for sure. You are looking for a device to mount on top of the switch, timed, powered by battery, that will mechanically push the toggle switch, at specified intervals. You won't be getting that off a shelf in any shop, guaranteed.

Your easiest solution is fitting a correctly rated electrical timer (digital is best). Not difficult to fit, and your problem is sorted, with multiple pre programmable timer on/off instructions.

Something along the lines of this:

http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/surface-mount-time-switches/3095607/

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    What you are looking for is not available, for sure. You are looking for a device to mount on top of the switch, timed, powered by battery, that will mechanically push the toggle switch, at specified intervals. You won't be getting that off a shelf in any shop, guaranteed.

I don't know about that have a look at my post above :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,047 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

fergal.b wrote: »
    I don't know about that have a look at my post above :D

Jesus Ferg, what will they think of next!

dodzy wrote: »
    Jesus Ferg, what will they think of next!

He could swap the switch for one of these http://mashable.com/2013/01/10/lights-wemo-light-switch/ and turn it on and off with his phone :D

Advertisement