Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent relief query

Options
  • 16-01-2013 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just have a query regarding rent relief. I know this was removed at the end of 2010 but was wondering if i am eligible to claim.

My position:
    I was living with my girlfriend from 2009 up until 2012 who is an owner occupier and am now renting somewhere else.... I was paying rent to my girlfiend while i lived there. Am i eligible to claim? I'm just worried about the fact that we were a couple means i can't?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It should be possible. Submit a claim and see what they say.

For the Rent-a-Room scheme, she should have declared the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Victor wrote: »
    It should be possible. Submit a claim and see what they say.

For the Rent-a-Room scheme, she should have declared the rent.

does she need to declare it even if it was under 10k?...i thought that was the limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭relax carry on

jobless wrote: »

does she need to declare it even if it was under 10k?...i thought that was the limit?
    In order to qualify for the exemption you must declare the income. If its under the limit then there's no liability but you must still declare it.

she hasn't ever declared it.... is it possible to do so retrospectively for a few years?

jobless wrote: »
    she hasn't ever declared it.... is it possible to do so retrospectively for a few years?

Yes. Assuming she's not self employed its a form 12 tax return she completes for each year. She only fills in the parts of the form applicable to her. Just take your time, they aren't that difficult to complete. The forms can be downloaded in PDF form, from the Revenue website.

• Advertisement

cool thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

How many years back can you claim for does anybody know? I haven't claimed in a good while, I think you can claim up to 4 years back allowance (from 2009-12 for example).
    It's just that I need a new telly and it just occured to me seeing this post that I'd prefer if the government bought me one :D (OK I know, it's my money really anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

4 years.

conorhal wrote: »
    How many years back can you claim for does anybody know? I haven't claimed in a good while, I think you can claim up to 4 years back allowance (from 2009-12 for example).
    It's just that I need a new telly and it just occured to me seeing this post that I'd prefer if the government bought me one :D (OK I know, it's my money really anyway)

Just one thing to note. You said that you claimed a while back. The credit normally carries forward each year so you might have already received the benefit of it. Login to your paye anytime account and check the prior years. If its highlighted green, then you have already claimed it.

Advertisement