Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Summer work

Options
  • 16-01-2013 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi, does anybody of any places that usually take on students (I'm 16) for Summer work, in the Wexford town area?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Try absolutely everywhere,jobs are thin on the ground in Co.Wexford but if you put your name into enough places you might get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

zerks wrote: »
    Try absolutely everywhere,jobs are thin on the ground in Co.Wexford but if you put your name into enough places you might get lucky.

What kind of places we talking? Restaurants/hotels/supermarkets like?
    And thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The Opera Restaurant in Cornmarket are looking for staff.
    Duties to include serving customers, taking orders, and general duties as assigned. Applicant must have good customer care skills. Applicants must have a good command of the English language. Weekend work involved

The Opera Restaurant in Cornmarket are looking for staff.

Do you know if this is Summer work? Or are they looking for staff now, because I'm still in school.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Looking for staff now - I thought you may be interested in evening work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Unfortunately the Jobbridge scheme is being exploited by businesses all over the county. If you have a look on the various jobs websites, I would say the ratio of proper paid jobs to jobbridge ''jobs'' is very close. I had a look through the FAS website the other night and saw a good few instances of companies looking to exploit the scheme. I'm talking about shop assistant jobs, waiting tables jobs, kitchen porters, technical and engineering, marketing and sales jobs. All pretty much looking for free labour.
    Best of luck to you in your job hunt. Its not easy out there and I applaud someone getting off their ass and going looking for work. Too many out there happy to live off the state although there are also the genuine people who couldnt survive without state help.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

OP, it took me until last summer, after first year of college to find a proper summer job, and they kept me on for the weekends. Until then, I picked fruit - It won't get you rich, but it's better than nothing, plus when I went for my interview last year, they were impressed that I'd been working to have something for my CV. Also, try EVERYWHERE - Everyone tries restaurants, supermarkets, etc but I work in a building providers which I wouldn't have originally thought of. Good luck!

ChloeElla wrote: »
    OP, it took me until last summer, after first year of college to find a proper summer job, and they kept me on for the weekends. Until then, I picked fruit - It won't get you rich, but it's better than nothing, plus when I went for my interview last year, they were impressed that I'd been working to have something for my CV. Also, try EVERYWHERE - Everyone tries restaurants, supermarkets, etc but I work in a building providers which I wouldn't have originally thought of. Good luck!

I've worked picking fruit before, and in another place each summer for a week for the last 4 summers. So I have some work on my CV.

I emailed about 8-10 restaurants/bars/hotels last week and got two replies saying they'd keep my CV on file in case work comes up, that's it. :/

I'll keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I know some hotels will be hesitant to take on under-age staff due to rules about how late into the night they can work etc., but still it's worth a try. Maybe specifically mention working breakfasts for example?

Bump.

Emailed 15 or more places (pretty much any place I could find an email address for) and no luck, best answers I've gotten are 'we'll keep your c.v on file'.

Any ideas? I realise this is asking a lot, as I'm sure a good few people here are unemployed themselves, but any help would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement