Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whale watching?

Options
  • 16-01-2013 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Seen on the news lots of whale sightings in the south. Is there sightseeing boats for this in Sligo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Were you watching winterwatch last night? A lot of boats are in for the winter and afaik no one actively promotes it at present. There are whales in Donegal bay all year round but probably not Humpback. WE know for sure that fin whales are there as they have washed up along with pilot, minke and others. Also plenty of dolphins out there. I would say its a case of chartering a boat and orgainsing a small group yourself and then approaching either Daryl Ewing in rosses point or Decaln and Michael with Kiwi Girl in Mullaghmore now at Sligo harbour. The Irish whale and dolphin group have whale watch ireland in Mullaghmore usually in August/Sept where we scan the sea for cetaceans from the shore. You need a calm sea to spot anything. They also have fitted out Celtic mist where you can buy a ticket and go with other experienced whale watchers I think its down in wexford at present but the plan is to bring it round Ireland in the future afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I went to Inishmurray with Daryl last year and while we didn't see whales we saw plenty of seals. It was fantastic, well worth a trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

No I missed that was it on rte? Maybe I can get it online. Thanks for all the info. Would be amazing to get out there and see some whales :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

daryl ewing is a gentleman and has a great boat, no one knows sligo bay better so if there's anything to see he will know where it is.

i've been lucky enough to swim with wild dolphins in rosses point and mullaghmore and seals at streedagh. i came close to a minke whale surfing in north sligo a few years ago. some sight. so they're out there, but takes time and luck

enjoy

It seems like in recent years there have been more and more sightings? Do you think there is the more whales coming up this way or sightings are just being reported more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

don't know really. there's def more people around the waters here than say 10 or 15 years ago so it could be that. but we had those two recent beachings as well, the only other one i remember was the big sperm whale at cullinamore.

Yes maybe that's it. I went to the beached whale near streedagh last year, it's not something I'd do again it was impressive to see the size of the whale but also very emotional for me I think pregnancy hormones had something to do with that too :)
    My brother has spotted lots of dolphins seals while surfing around Sligo must be an amazing feeling to be in the water with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 1928

I had a look at this thread thinking it was about the quality of women that goes to Toffs. Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

1928 wrote: »
    I had a look at this thread thinking it was about the quality of women that goes to Toffs. Ah well.

8 posts since 2005? And now we can see why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭alsace royal

http://www.facebook.com/tommy.stingray?ref=ts&fref=ts

you could try this lad, dont know if the boat is out at the minute, but sound man and very knowledgeable

• Advertisement
Advertisement