Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV crescent

• 16-01-2013 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭

Currently staging a sit in as the examiners try to move in and get staff out , no wages no redudancy payment.
    Best of luck to staff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

Ditto. Best of luck to them. I know one of them & they've had to deal with a truck load of abuse from customers .. none of them saw it coming in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Ditto. Best of luck to them. I know one of them & they've had to deal with a truck load of abuse from customers .. none of them saw it coming in fairness

If anyone is on Twitter check out timeline of @hmvcrescent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Cruises street also being occupied, as is the facebook account of same

• Registered Users Posts: 45 neverwasser

I think that the irish people should give them plenty of support with their sit in. Any of us could be shafted in our jobs at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Absolutely. I heard they guys in Grafton Street weren't given the chance to sit in - they were shadowed by Deloitte 'heavies' (their words).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Fair play to them, plenty of food (and beer :pac:) being delivered to them according to photos on facebook. I go in there a lot and always a pleasant bunch to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

campo wrote: »
    Currently staging a sit in as the examiners try to move in and get staff out , no wages no redudancy payment.
    Best of luck to staff

Not true. On the Ray Darcy show this morning Emer from HMV in Limerick was interviewed and she said that they were told that they would get statutory redundancy.

So according to The Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment the below would be what that means.

How much is the statutory minimum redundancy payment?

Since May 2003, when the Redundancy Payments Act 2003 came into effect, the statutory redundancy payment is a lump sum payment based on the pay of the employee and calculated in the following manner:
    Two weeks' pay (subject to a maximum of €600 per week or €31,200 per year) for each year worked (work prior to age 16 is not counted), plus
    One week's additional pay.

There is a difference between continuity of employment and reckonable service for redundancy purposes. Some absences from work in the three years before the notice of redundancy may not affect the continuity of employment. However, they may not count as reckonable service when it comes to calculating the amount of statutory redundancy pay. For example, absence from work due to sickness does not affect the employee's continuity of employment for redundancy purposes. However, any period of absence over 26 weeks due to illness will not be counted for the purposes of calculating the actual amount of redundancy.

So it is wrong to say that they have not been offered any wages or redundancy, unless what was said in the radio interview was untrue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Statutory redundancy takes months to process and get paid out.

AFAIK, some of the monthly paid staff members still haven't gotten paid for December and it's unlikely they will get paid for January.

So regardless what is true they are in for a long wait to get paid, poor guys :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not true. On the Ray Darcy show this morning Emer from HMV in Limerick was interviewed and she said that they were told that they would get statutory redundancy.

So according to The Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment the below would be what that means.

So it is wrong to say that they have not been offered any wages or redundancy, unless what was said in the radio interview was untrue.

I'm not sure if it was the same girl, but on Newstalks breakfast show the manager in Cruises St. said that they weren't going to be paid anything by the company. IE the months wages that they're owed and any holiday pay owed.
    The issue is that they haven't been paid since last month and now aren't going to be paid. It could take months to organise that statutory payment and a well over a month to organise unemployment benefit.

I do have sympathy for any worker that finds themselves out of work, but I am also conscious of the fact that some of the interviews differ slightly which might suggest that the workers have not been given all the information they need yet.

I would not knock any of the workers for trying to stand up for themselves though, and I do hope that they get any money they are owed with regards to hours worked and continuous years served.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I'm not sure if it was the same girl, but on Newstalks breakfast show the manager in Cruises St. said that they weren't going to be paid anything by the company. IE the months wages that they're owed and any holiday pay owed.
    The issue is that they haven't been paid since last month and now aren't going to be paid. It could take months to organise that statutory payment and a well over a month to organise unemployment benefit.

What I meant as no redudancy is none from Hmv yes they will get statutory eventually but this is from government

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

At least they have a lot to keep themselves entertained!! All the movies and games!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I hear they are being supported with food by several local businesses. Flannery's on Denmark Street, and some spars were also mentioned.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I presume they've got power to the building, so they've light, heat, music and TV - I presume Deloitte won't just shut off the shop's power?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

If they watch Samuel L Jackson in The Negotiator then they should have all angles covered.Best of luck to them.I personally stopped buying in HMV years ago when they never had pennies for change when albums were priced 19.99 etc and some of the ridiculous prices they charged for new releases at the time that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

@theparish. Are you serious about the pennies? Would you wait for a penny change?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Nice to see that local businesses are helping out the guys in hmv. BB's in the crescent dropped over coffee, sausage rolls and muffins and KFC dropped over chicken and I think the Unicorn dropped in food as well for them. Nice to see people helping out like this, although its sad when this has to be done. Find it hard to believe that HMV are claiming not to have enough cash to pay wages, wonder if the big bosses are waiting to be paid as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

seachto7 wrote: »
    @theparish. Are you serious about the pennies? Would you wait for a penny change?

That doesn't bother me either!

One thing I do hate is how the likes of Schuh and River Island charge like €21, €31 and €51 for a lot of their products. :P

I'm just surprised that no local businesses have not gotten onboard with a product for HMV voucher type deal.

Stores in the UK as well as some stores/eateries/services in Cork, Dublin, and Galway have been quick off the mark on this.

Smart way to get a bit of business and goodwill your way if you own/run a business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Cork have done the Voucher thing as well as Dublin.

Sober Lane will take your voucher for a free pizza which is irrespective of the value of your voucher. Get cheap really

The Grafton Bar in Dublin will give you a full return on the value of your voucher today and tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

There are a few others that will honour a % of the voucher against a sale or who are offering a % of a product or service upon production of a voucher.

Surprising the lack of movement on the behalf of Limerick business folk on that front, I know if I had a branch of my business in Limerick I would do so.

Smyths are now stamping them for a free lunch and tea/coffee or free entry to icon with one drink. People are kicking up a fuss about it on FB.

Edit: The bailey also accepting them in exchange for a €10 lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

Receivership rules need to be changed that before any stock can be liquidated to pay debt to banks that wages and honoring of customers vouchers comes first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

shaaane wrote: »
    Smyths are now stamping them for a free lunch and tea/coffee or free entry to icon with one drink. People are kicking up a fuss about it on FB.

Edit: The bailey also accepting them in exchange for a €10 lunch.

Do smyths give you back the voucher? if they kept them thats one thing but if they're letting them back to people then thats great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

krudler wrote: »
    Do smyths give you back the voucher? if they kept them thats one thing but if they're letting them back to people then thats great.

Yes they'll give it back, according to their facebook page they just want to stamp the back of it so it can't be used twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Trade wise, what financial benefit is there for a third party business accepting a voucher that someone else has profited from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Trade wise, what financial benefit is there for a third party business accepting a voucher that someone else has profited from?

Nothing at all apart from goodwill and publicity I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

A tweet from @hmvcrescent
    "We have come to an agreement and we are getting paid. We have left the shop"

Delighted for them, fair play! :)

• Advertisement

Nothing at all apart from goodwill and publicity I guess.

And extra business.

Advertisement