Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL in Spain - Meddeas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 _Cludo_

mariamoo22 wrote: »
    I am doing the 140hour Tefl course, with 120 hours online and 20 hours practical

How much is that costing you Maria? I was contacted today to do a skype interview tomorrow. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 amyryan90

_Cludo_ wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what type of TEFL course your going to do? Im up in the air about what to choose the postgrad or speakers program. Id like to do the Spanish course but the Bilingual course sounds good too. Id have to do a TEFL course first too to be able to avail of either.

Did you find out where you are going to end up?

I sent off my CV and the questionnaire and have heard nothing as of yet.

hey cludo!i was the same about the programmes i have 20hours done with 2days in cork they wanted me to do the postgrad programme for the bilingual programme but the only thing that put me off was that i would have to do the rest of the 100hours tefl before i go plus in the interview they said that the certificate in bilingual education isnt internationally recognised!so i think if u want to do the speakers programme and do either the tefl while your there or the spanish course go for that!

I saw you have the interview today on skype...its pretty straight forward they ask you to do an inprovisation thing where they give you a word and you talk for 3 minutes about it....its nothing you can prepare for but just try to keep talking!good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mariamoo22

How much is that costing you Maria? I was contacted today to do a skype interview tomorrow. Any tips?

It cost me 280 got a student discount :)

amyryan90 wrote: »
    hey cludo!
    I saw you have the interview today on skype...its pretty straight forward they ask you to do an inprovisation thing where they give you a word and you talk for 3 minutes about it....its nothing you can prepare for but just try to keep talking!good luck :)
    Hey Amy,

The improv thing came up alright - mars and photosynthesis. I hadn't a notion but evidently, that didn't matter as i have been asked to do an interview in Dublin on the 12th. :(

Have you been placed somewhere yet?

I think i might do an online course - 120 hours and then do the spanish course over there all going well.

• gramar wrote: »
    "might seem kinda low but Spain has a much lower cost of living than Ireland anyway"

If you come to Spain you'll see that isn't true. Somewhat cheaper maybe but not that much different.

It is true. I'm paying 250 a month for rent and bills, all in. Where would you get that in Ireland? You can live fairly comfortably on a salary of 1000 euros/month here (about average for Spain) in most places, whereas in Ireland that would be a poverty wage. I'm earning a total of about 900 a month in total and I can comfortably rent a lovely flat with my partner, eat out several times a week, go out on Friday and Saturday and all in all have a much better lifestyle due to the number of things you can do for free here (park, beach etc). Spain is much cheaper than Ireland in almost every way. The only exceptions I can think of are things like bedding and furniture, and most of that would be provided for people doing the Meddeas programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

It is true. I'm paying 250 a month for rent and bills, all in. Where would you get that in Ireland? You can live fairly comfortably on a salary of 1000 euros/month here (about average for Spain) in most places, whereas in Ireland that would be a poverty wage. I'm earning a total of about 900 a month in total and I can comfortably rent a lovely flat with my partner, eat out several times a week, go out on Friday and Saturday and all in all have a much better lifestyle due to the number of things you can do for free here (park, beach etc). Spain is much cheaper than Ireland in almost every way. The only exceptions I can think of are things like bedding and furniture, and most of that would be provided for people doing the Meddeas programme.

Have you any interests in promoting Meddeas? I live in Madrid and the above is really drawing a much brighter picture than what it would really be like. All Auxiliares that I know first of all earn more per month and they have to supplement their income by giving private english lessons.

Do any of you know if there are any spanish classes over there that anyone can enroll in? I have zero spanish and would like to be able to converse in spanish from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Konvict

Do any of you know if there are any spanish classes over there that anyone can enroll in? I have zero spanish and would like to be able to converse in spanish from time to time.

I was thinking the same, I reckon as long as you're not in the middle of nowhere there should be some Spanish classes going somewhere. You be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mcdirl

Got an email from them today, any tips for the Skype interview would be greatly appreciated.The program looks like an interesting way to spend a year and I really hope I get onto it.

Ya I'm going to Barcelona :)

Do you know where in barcelona you are heading or is it the city itself you are going?

• Advertisement

Do you know where in barcelona you are heading or is it the city itself you are going?

ya Im going to the city, well my school is in the suburbs of the city like :)

Sean, were you able to come for your graduation? (if you graduated while there?) really don't want to miss my graduation, it will be on in end of Oct I think :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marthact

Hiya I've just got an offer from meddeas for valencia, just wondering if anyone's already started with them and what you think of them? not sure what to think the deposit being quite a bit of money and never heard of anyone going with them, would be good to hear any opinions, thanks!

Has anyone gone about getting Garda vetted yet?

Apparently they won't do it for a foreign country, just release your information to you (for a price). It takes 11-12 weeks? What we supposed to do for Sep?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 OJWalsh

Hey guys,

I've had this thread tabbed for months now but I've finally decided to make an account and post with a concern, I was wondering if anybody had the same problem.

I have been offered a placement just outside Barcelona which is great. It isn't great however that Meddeas take a week and a half to e-mail back. I still haven't got a date I am supposed to leave England, neither have I got any accommodation details and I have around 6 weeks left (I think). I am very worried they are giving me the run around.

Has anybody else had similar problems?

Maybe email them again OJ?

I know that there is a number [(+34) 948 983 539] you can ring to speak to meddeas directly, you might try that. Or you might email and ask that they skype call you to discuss any concerns that you might have, but I certainly haven't been given the run around by them and have definite starting date.

Hope that helps

I have e-mailed them so much that I don't really want to be a pest.

I'm going to try and call them tomorrow though I did write to them on Skype earlier today and I got no reply. As it stands I am waiting around one and half weeks for a reply from them via e-mail. When was your starting date given to you?

Thanks for the reply, I imagine they are very busy sorting out other people placements. I am getting a little impatient though.

OJWalsh wrote: »
    I have e-mailed them so much that I don't really want to be a pest.

I'm going to try and call them tomorrow though I did write to them on Skype earlier today and I got no reply. As it stands I am waiting around one and half weeks for a reply from them via e-mail. When was your starting date given to you?

Thanks for the reply, I imagine they are very busy sorting out other people placements. I am getting a little impatient though.

Yeah I reckon they have a lot going on. Being a pest and being persistent are two different things. Persist, especially considering that you have to make arrangements etc.

Ring that number, I got through straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chloe_56

Hi, Im thinking about doing this soon, but am a little worried about the money side of things? Ideally id like to go to Barcelona, anyone any tips or advice for living there??

Konvict wrote: »
    Yeah I reckon they have a lot going on. Being a pest ad being persistent are two dfferent things. Persist, especially considering that you have to make arrangements etc.

Ring that number, I got theough straight away.

I woke to an e-mail today from Jorge, I finally have a date now and a reason why the host family haven't contacted me which has put me at ease, now time to prepare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 OutShout

Hey guys! I'm heading to Barcelona for Meddeas in September! First off to Madrid for the 13th, then I'm heading Barcelona the same night as the meeting! And work starting on the Monday the 16th! I got my Garda vetting sorted within a few weeks, and I was living in Madrid at the time! Have you gotten yours sorted Konvict? And Chloe, my brother lived in Barcelona last year while working with Meddeas and as I said I'm heading over this year, it seems like money is fine! My bro pays around 300 a month for rent, and he does 300 euro worth of private lessons a month, so he gets to keep the 840 for anything he needs to do! It depends on the area you live of course, but there's always going to be apartments for 300 euro, decent ones at that, and with the metro card you'll have no problem getting around! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 OutShout

Sean, were you able to come for your graduation? (if you graduated while there?) really don't want to miss my graduation, it will be on in end of Oct I think :/

Hey mariamoo! I'm Sean's sister, I'm also heading to Barca this year for Meddeas! Sean was able to go to his graduation, it was also in October, he took 2 days off! Sean said nearly all of those graduating were able to go home, but at least one girl he knows wasn't allowed. Sean recommends to be good friends with the tutor, your contact in the school, and make sure you stick to the responsibilities laid out in your contract from the start! I have my graduation in October too, so I really hope I can get the time off for it too!

Here's a link for a Meddeas group on facebook, great way to contact people in your area :)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/248003605319921/

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Many new opinions on this programme from people who started it recently? Tempted to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HonestMeddeas

I'm going to begin documenting my actual experiences with Meddeas soon, they're not all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lizzie19

Hey, I took part in the Meddeas scheme and unfortunately I had a horrendous time. It was the school not the agency that was the problem we were originally on 20 hour contracts and then increased to 24 hours but we were there 9am till 5pm with "breaks" in between. One assistant was hired illegally as a teacher with no qualifications except the TEFL and one left about a week because she wasn't given enough time off for a funeral.
    There were no gloves for when the children had accidents and we were used as mainly babysitters. Me and another assistant were sacked in the November and I was told they were looking for potential teachers. The school had informed my host family before they told me and I was criticised for my behaviour in the host family being told I was supposed to be part of that family.

Meddeas were useless at finding me another school I wouldn't bother if I was you there's plenty of jobs without going through an agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 breeze217

I've got a skype interview with Meddeas in about a week, although I'm a bit uncertain about them as I've not heard much about them... and as you can imagine, some of the posts here aren't too reassuring! 'Honest Meddeas' could you tell me about more about your experience with them?
    Also, I've found the information they've given me so far kinda vague, for example when roughly in September or January do the placements start?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hyoung91

How did your interview go? And if it was succesful did u have to.do.another one? I have one tomorrow and am very nervous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 breeze217

The interview was alright; some of the questions seemed a bit strange to me though. For example, I got asked if I'd ever witnessed an accident... Never been asked that before! Anyway, don't worry about it; most of it was just asking about experience and preferences for the programme. I know that there is a definitely a second interview if you get through the first, although they haven't told me yet whether I've got through to that stage.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hyoung91

Hmm yeah it does sound weird lol so does not seem.like you can prepare as you would normally. Especially the talking about random words thing :s Thanks for the feedback!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 lisareilly91

Hey, I've got a skype interview tomorrow if anyone has any tips or advice for me that would be great! :)

Advertisement