Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox and Adode PDF Files

Options
  • 16-01-2013 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭

I want Firefox to 'Always Ask' when I click on a PDF file link on a webpage but the action that results when I do so is inconsistent.

Sometimes (e.g. when you're chasing up a user manual), the link on a webpage may have an Adobe icon indicating a PDF file but it's an indirect link so you can't simply right-click and select 'Save Target As...' because if you do, you'll end up being invited to save a HTML file. In those situations, if I click the link, Firefox will get the PDF file but open it in a new tab which is not what I want, I want to see the popup panel which offers me the option to 'Open' or 'Save'.

If I click on Tools/Options/Applications, I can see multiple entries for 'Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Document (applic...' and the rest of the line is chopped because beside it is the 'Action' option and you cannot shift the boundary or widen the entire window so it's not possible to see the difference between the different Adobe entries but in my case, all of them are set to 'Always Ask'.

If I enter 'PDF' in the search window at the top of the popup window, I get a single Adobe entry (still can't read the end of the line) and the action is 'Always Ask' yet Firefox still insists on opening a lot of the PDF links that I click on.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement