Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Managerial Debate

Options
  • 16-01-2013 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭

So, in the light of Guardiola choosing Bayern Munich as his next club, I was wondering.... would my fellow Spurs fans have been happy for him to takeover at White Hart Lane if today he had come out and said he wanted to manage us next season??

This questions means one would have to weigh up what AVB has done so far and what he has planned for the coming three to four years against the achievements of Guardiola (14 trophies in four years).

Completely hypothetical, but I'd like to hear people's views.

What would you choose? 27 votes

Stick with AVB!
    0% 0 votes
    Give me Guardiola any day!
    85% 23 votes
    Oh please, can we not just get 'Arry back?!
    14% 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd definitely stick with AVB. Guardiola is a great manager, but he also had one of the best teams to ever play the game. No question that he did amazing things with them, but we'll see if he can do the same with a lesser team (not that Munich aren't a great team).

Anyway, in AVB we trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

It's a tough question, but I chose AVB. He has earned his shot at the club through results and performances, and although Guardiola would most likely be class, there's nothing to say that AVB won't be class either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

So far so good with AVB but Pep for me. He;s been there, done that and bought the tee shirt.

That said as long as Levy is holding the purse strings it wouldn't matter if we had Jose, Fergie or Pep in charge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Difficult one.
    Avb is going along nicely, but 2 defeats and all the boo boys will be on his back again. I like him though. I like his attitude and the way he talks and deals with the media.

As for Pep, sure he's only done well at Barca where he had all the best players in the world, I could do that ;)

Answer -AVB

p.s. Love the point about Levy above :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Pep can do well at Barcelona with an endless budget, I wonder how would he survive with Levy holding the purse strings. AVB for me, I like the direction he's taking us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

As hatch said, I'm not sure of managing barca would be the most difficult of tasks ! Not saying he may not be a great manager but I'd be confident of managing them the team basically picks its self, I'd stay with AVB no matter who came looking to manage spurs, he's deserved his shot and I reckon things will only get better!

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I voted for AVB too.

I guess this post had a touch of self-indulgence about it because I have been a massive fan of AVB since his success at Porto.... and now, we have a manager who has the support of one section the Spurs fanbase to the tune of 10 to 1 (currently) over one of the most successful/desired managers of our time.

lads, to change the question slightly if we asked a fan of any EPL club who'd they prefer as a manager AVB or Pep? I'd hazard a guess that the overwhelming majority would pick Pep. I mean even AVBs biggest fans at Spurs would have picked Pep over him if offered last summer. Spurs tinted glasses on for most here :D:D:D;)

PS I don;t understand this bit about AVB deserving a shot? what did he do to deserve it? BTW not having a go at him but really don't see how he "deserves" a shot.

yiddo59 wrote: »
    PS I don;t understand this bit about AVB deserving a shot? what did he do to deserve it? BTW not having a go at him but really don't see how he "deserves" a shot.

Because he's a progressive manager who, when given the time and support, can set strong foundations in order to the change the culture of the club we all love so much from 'also rans' to 'contenders'.

You don't have an 88% win record and win four trophies in a season by chance.

Because he's a progressive manager who, when given the time and support, can set strong foundations in order to the change the culture of the club we all love so much from 'also rans' to 'contenders'.

You don't have an 88% win record and win four trophies in a season by chance.

Fair enough but time and support under Levy? don't hold your breath.

• Advertisement

Fair enough but time and support under Levy? don't hold your breath.

I think Levy has been looking for consistency in our management for some time now - after all look at the success Arsenal and United have achieved with such an approach. Levy knew Harry was limited and would never be able to consistently improve the team season on season. While AVB sold the idea of a long-term plan with stepped improvement annually until we finally achieve success.

I think Levy has been looking for consistency in our management for some time now - after all look at the success Arsenal and United have achieved with such an approach. Levy knew Harry was limited and would never be able to consistently improve the team season on season. While AVB sold the idea of a long-term plan with stepped improvement annually until we finally achieve success.

I think you give Levy too much credit for planning. Levy is a gambler always has been always will be. IMO he gambled on the FA paying a big wedge to take Harry for the England job and lost when they went elsewhere. Then with Chelsea having snaffled the CL place sacked Harry and AVB was the best available.There is no masterplan!

Incidentally would you have picked AVB over Pep if offered last summer?

Your probably right, 99% of spurs fans would have picked Pep last summer... but with the team we have now, would he have done any better than AVB is ? Probably not. However I do think we are in the top 4 best sides in the league, but when it comes down to the last 6/8 games, half the battle is having the balls to go and win games, not like last season. If we had a top striker, we'd defo finish in the top 4 for me. Sorry for going off topic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Pointless thread IMO. AVB is the manager, if he was sacked today and Pep was installed I'd be saying 'what the fcuk is Levy at!' But if he, or Ferguson, or Mourinho et al had been appointed in the summer I'd have been delighted!

Harry was sacked because he was ready to ditch us, the killer moment for me was when Garth Crooks interviewed at Spurs Lodge for Football Focus, the whole interview was about HR being the England manager, in the middle of our season, what a joke! So DL ditched him, unfortunately DL thought there was a nice wedge of compo coming from the FA...

Verdict: AVB is a good manager, he may be still learning his trade but he's no 'hanging out the window of a range rover' fool.. I think with a bit of backing he could deliver success but as one mentioned, don't hold your breath for that!

I think you give Levy too much credit for planning. Levy is a gambler always has been always will be. IMO he gambled on the FA paying a big wedge to take Harry for the England job and lost when they went elsewhere. Then with Chelsea having snaffled the CL place sacked Harry and AVB was the best available.There is no masterplan!

I disagree. Harry was not going to be our manager past the end of the '11/'12 season - because he wasn't good enough. When Capello left England, Levy thought all his Christmases had come at once because he knew that he had planned on letting Harry go at the end of the season, so instead of paying compensation to Harry, he was going to be paid compensation by the FA. Unfortunately the FA went with Hodgson. Thus Levy went through with his original plan and sacked Harry.

As you said, AVB was the best possible manager available. Lucky us!

Yeah I would of gone for Pep over AVB. 14 trophies in 4 seasons beats 4 trophies in two seasons (including his Chelsea stint) every time. Though 4 trophies in 2 seasons definitely beats Harry's zero trophies in four seasons.

[QUOTE=DubPerryman;82727257 Harry was not going to be our manager past the end of the '11/'12 season - because he wasn't good enough. [/QUOTE]

I actually disagree. If the whole England thing had never happened, I think Harry would still be our manager today.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I actually disagree. If the whole England thing had never happened, I think Harry would still be our manager today.

The thing is, the England thing was always there. Capello had said he was going to step down after the Euro 2012 and Levy knew Harry wanted the job. Levy didn't back Harry in the last couple of transfer windows because of this.

I'd say Levy was scouting and sussing out new managers as early as the summer of 2011.

The thing is, the England thing was always there. Capello had said he was going to step down after the Euro 2012 and Levy knew Harry wanted the job. Levy didn't back Harry in the last couple of transfer windows because of this.

I'd say Levy was scouting and sussing out new managers as early as the summer of 2011.

Lets say capello had a new contract and wasn't leaving England job, kinda makey upey like this thread :D, I reckon Harry would still be in the job. Levy wouldn't have sacked him if the England subject wasn't about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Lets say capello had a new contract and wasn't leaving England job, kinda makey upey like this thread :D, I reckon Harry would still be in the job. Levy wouldn't have sacked him if the England subject wasn't about.

Well his two 4th place finishes in 3 seasons aswell as an amazing CL run was not worthy of a sacking IMO.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Well his two 4th place finishes in 3 seasons aswell as an amazing CL run was not worthy of a sacking IMO.

No it probably wasn't, don't think anyone could argue with that. It was the other business that got him the bullet and rightly so imo.

• Advertisement

KingdomYid wrote: »

As I've said many a time, Harry took us as far as he could. We were never going to mount a championship challenge under his stewardship and there's only so many times you can go in to a Champions League tournament with a manager who doesn't use a tactics board and tells his players to 'run around a bit'.

Lets say capello had a new contract and wasn't leaving England job, kinda makey upey like this thread :D

Yeah this thread is ridiculously hypothetical, but I just wanted to outline the confidence that we currently have in our leader. I'm glad 90% of the fanbase feel the same way as me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

No question about it. If it wasn't for the whole Terry>Capello>FA thing HR would still be our manager today and I dare say we would have finished 3rd last season.

Would HR have been the manager to mount a serious title challenge and bring us to the next level - we will never know. Probably not.

I just read about Nigel Adkins' sacking and the hiring of their new manager (Mauricio Pochettino) on BBC.co.uk there and below is the quote from their Chairman. I have no doubt that if Harry had not f*cked us about with the whole England thing you would have been reading the exact same quote from Daniel Levy... and I, for one, wouldn't have wanted it any other way.
    Whilst we acknowledge the contribution Nigel (Harry) has made during the past two years, for the club to progress and achieve our long-term targets a change was needed.

Eerily enough, this would have also been the exact same quote you would have heard about the hiring of AVB...
    Mauricio (Andre) is a well-respected coach of substantial quality who has gained a reputation as an astute tactician and excellent man manager. I have every confidence that he will inspire our talented squad of players to perform at the highest possible level.

:D:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21079956

I just read about Nigel Adkins' sacking and the hiring of their new manager (Mauricio Pochettino) on BBC.co.uk there and below is the quote from their Chairman. I have no doubt that if Harry had not f*cked us about with the whole England thing you would have been reading the exact same quote from Daniel Levy... and I, for one, wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Eerily enough, this would have also been the exact same quote you would have heard about the hiring of AVB...

:D:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21079956

your not well in the head pal, keep taking the pills.. ;)

your not well in the head pal

That's another debate altogether! :)

Advertisement