Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superannuation/2nd year visa

Options
  • 16-01-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi Guys, This question has probably be answered a thousand times, when i was in Australia, i did my regional work in 2010/2011 and i returned home at the end of 2011. Last February i applied for my visa when i was back in Ireland but i subsequently got a job in Ireland and stayed around, the visa is due to expire this February. I have two questions

1. Can i ever apply for this visa again once it expires in February? and

2. What is the quickest way to claim back your superannuation, i.e going through the ATO website or using a website like Taxback.com, ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Niallers87 wrote: »
    2. What is the quickest way to claim back your superannuation, i.e going through the ATO website or using a website like Taxback.com, ?

Do you mean superannuation or tax?
    Claiming back super is nothing to do with the ATO afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

1. It appears not, you need to cancel it before it expires. http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/how-to-apply.htm#f

2. I would start with the super fund, they probably have a form. You will have to pay tax on what's there though, I heard 30% before.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

As per your question to re apply for an unused WHV..

I applied for a 1st year visa back in 2008 and never used it. I am planning to go on a WHV this year and I was stressing about it all last year. I contacted the company I bought the visa off and they informed me that once it isn't activated I can apply for it again.

As for the terms on a second year WHV I can only imagine its the same once it hasn't been activated. Contact the company you purchased your second year visa off originally they will tell you the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Niallers87

As per your question to re apply for an unused WHV..

I applied for a 1st year visa back in 2008 and never used it. I am planning to go on a WHV this year and I was stressing about it all last year. I contacted the company I bought the visa off and they informed me that once it isn't activated I can apply for it again.

As for the terms on a second year WHV I can only imagine its the same once it hasn't been activated. Contact the company you purchased your second year visa off originally they will tell you the answer!

Thanks for that, at least there is always a plan B for me if i get sock of Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Niallers87

lg123 wrote: »
    1. It appears not, you need to cancel it before it expires. http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/how-to-apply.htm#f

2. I would start with the super fund, they probably have a form. You will have to pay tax on what's there though, I heard 30% before.

Thanks for your response, i downloaded a form to apply for a certificate of immigration so hopefully once i get this sent off il be able to apply for my superannuation, I have heard about been taxed 30% alright but i guess its better than receiving nothing!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement