Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo course

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

oh no, there's lots of jobs like that. I was just pointing out that if one feels hard done by in not getting paid in their apprenticeship, they probably won't like the rest of the conditions.

:)

IF I had the skill to do it, which I don't, I think I'd find it a very hard job to get into. I remember 1 artist years ago telling me it was a very nomadic lifestyle, never really knowing where your gonna be in a years time he said.

If I'm right to say that Chris Crooks spent time in Japan studying tattoos? I'm gonna guess he paid for himself to go over and didn't get paid to learn over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

niallam wrote: »
    :)

IF I had the skill to do it, which I don't, I think I'd find it a very hard job to get into. I remember 1 artist years ago telling me it was a very nomadic lifestyle, never really knowing where your gonna be in a years time he said.

If I'm right to say that Chris Crooks spent time in Japan studying tattoos? I'm gonna guess he paid for himself to go over and didn't get paid to learn over there?

Ah, I think it is more that the sort of person who gets into tattoo also tends to be the type you wants to move around a lot. I don't understand it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Would anyone be willing to give my bro a day or a few days in the studio for observation? Thanks

Would anyone be willing to give my bro a day or a few days in the studio for observation? Thanks

Does he have tattoos himself?
    Might seem a strange question but most tattoo artists are fairly heavily tattooed and its part of the learning too I think.
    They have to know the pain and understand its not a painless job for their customers :)

I think his best bet is to drop into a few studios and talk with a few artists :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

niallam wrote: »

Does he have tattoos himself?
    Might seem a strange question but most tattoo artists are fairly heavily tattooed and its part of the learning too I think.
    They have to know the pain and understand its not a painless job for their customers :)

I think his best bet is to drop into a few studios and talk with a few artists :)

He has many tattoos! Did one of them himself. Ankle, back, arms, legs... Piercings too, nipples and tongue. Thanks he intends to go to dublin next week to talk to a few.

• Advertisement

He has many tattoos! Did one of them himself. Ankle, back, arms, legs... Piercings too, nipples and tongue. Thanks he intends to go to dublin next week to talk to a few.

He's on the right track so. It's just gonna take him time and practice.
    Maybe once he talks to a few artists and gets a better insight into the industry he will make up his mind if it's something he really wants to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭bubblebery

Arawn wrote: »
    Any other trade you get paid to be there while learning.What makes tattooing immune to paying apprentices?

1/ Because we do not have to.
    2/ Because most tattooists had to work without pay.
    3/ Because apprentices spend a couple of hours a day cleaning, I can do that myself.
    4/ The majority of the time they are being taught artistic skills that take many years to learn. Why do I need to waste MY time teaching someone how to draw?
    5/ If you do not like it dry your eyes and pay the fees at art college for 4 years, then come to us with an accomplished portfolio and ask for a job.

Oh, and just in-case its not obvious, tattooing is a dream job that allows the accomplished professional to write his own ticket, traveling the world meeting cool people who pay lots of money to seem him "draw" ;)

Its explained a bit better on my blog, can I post a link ?

Few pics

Stephen, sorry to sound critical, but there are 13 year old kids knocking out stuff better than this. If your brother wanted to be a graphic designer, but had little talent, he would go to college, and probably complete a degree course. Then, he MIGHT get a job with a design firm.

He needs to follow the same route with his art work!

If he wants it bad enough it will happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

bubblebery wrote: »
    1/ Because we do not have to.
    2/ Because most tattooists had to work without pay.
    3/ Because apprentices spend a couple of hours a day cleaning, I can do that myself.
    4/ The majority of the time they are being taught artistic skills that take many years to learn. Why do I need to waste MY time teaching someone how to draw?
    5/ If you do not like it dry your eyes and pay the fees at art college for 4 years, then come to us with an accomplished portfolio and ask for a job.

Oh, and just in-case its not obvious, tattooing is a dream job that allows the accomplished professional to write his own ticket, traveling the world meeting cool people who pay lots of money to seem him "draw" ;)

Its explained a bit better on my blog, can I post a link ?

1. True you dont but if the industry was regulated you can be sure you would have to and it should be regulated.
    2. Yeh people used to get hit with rulers in schools to don't make it right times change ;).
    3. But your not doing it you have an apprentice there doing it instead saving you the time and hassle ;).
    4. In my job someone trained me in and it took me years to learn the skills in fact Im always learning like most people you will never know it all, and also in that time Ive helped train in four people whilst also doing my own job why because I get a feeling of satisfaction and reward knowing Ive helped them along the way and whilst there training they do the work I dont want to do and help you out, plus you own your own studio and arent an artist you could look on them like an investment like my boss did? If you train in a highly respected artist it will bring in more business for you own studio ;).
    5. Art college will help but there will still be training involved when it comes to tattoos.

Make sure he does not tell the studios that he tattooed himself, they will be extremely unpleasant. Make sure he brings his portfolio so that he can get their honest opinion. Come back and tell us how he gets on, we will all be interested!

• Advertisement

1. True you dont but if the industry was regulated you can be sure you would have to and it should be regulated.
    2. Yeh people used to get hit with rulers in schools to don't make it right times change ;).
    3. But your not doing it you have an apprentice there doing it instead saving you the time and hassle ;).
    4. In my job someone trained me in and it took me years to learn the skills in fact Im always learning like most people you will never know it all, and also in that time Ive helped train in four people whilst also doing my own job why because I get a feeling of satisfaction and reward knowing Ive helped them along the way and whilst there training they do the work I dont want to do and help you out, plus you own your own studio and arent an artist you could look on them like an investment like my boss did? If you train in a highly respected artist it will bring in more business for you own studio ;).
    5. Art college will help but there will still be training involved when it comes to tattoos.

Marty what do you do? Its hard to compare the two fields when I have no idea what I am comparing with?

I spent the day discussing regulations to the industry with my local authority, in the north where I am based we are regulated, but not highly enough for me :):):)

What makes you think I am not an artist? I said in another post that I did not tattoo...

Marty what do you do? Its hard to compare the two fields when I have no idea what I am comparing with?

I spent the day discussing regulations to the industry with my local authority, in the north where I am based we are regulated, but not highly enough for me :):):)

What makes you think I am not an artist? I said in another post that I did not tattoo...

Im a tradesman while I do accept that the tattoo industry is quite unique everything that I have said is still applicable when it comes to apprentice tattoo artists :). I also could travel the world with my trade in my own job Ive worked with people from America, New Zealand and Australia all stopping off here working for a few months working while traveling around, and I myself was offered a job in Australia at one stage so thats not a tattoo only phenomenon :).

Yeh it is an industry that need to be regulated a lot more, I know its more regulated up north but is it by much?

If I remember correctly you said in a post your wife was the artist and you owned the studio? Apologies if im wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Make sure he tells the studios he visits that he did some tattoos on himself. It would help if me mentioned where he got his "gun" and tell him to be sure and bring his portfolio with him. After he has been round a few studios come back on and tell us how he got on, I will be very interested !!!

Is there any need to be so condescending towards a poster here, when they are simply looking for advice? EVERYONE here has given good advice and honest opinions, but being a professional yourself means you should be polite, not downright patronising to the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Few pics

i was actually offered an apprenticeship about ten years ago by a guy who is not necessarily a scratcher but not a studio artist either.he was in the army donkeys ago and i think he was the resident tattoo artist there but then he travelled the world for a bit learning his craft,getting shedloads of ink and lots of crazy stories in the process.
    as much as i'm fascinated and interested in tattoos and tattooing i had to turn down this 'opportunity' as i didn't want to spend my whole life/career splurting out flash on everyone.like i told him "dude i'm more AUtistic than ARtistic"
    ...and i could probably draw better than your brother,no offence or anything, but he has a lot of hard work to do if he wants to get a foothold in the business

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Is there any need to be so condescending towards a poster here, when they are simply looking for advice? EVERYONE here has given good advice and honest opinions, but being a professional yourself means you should be polite, not downright patronising to the guy.

The guys "brother" seems to have ignored all advice given, and has started tattooing himself, which I find belittles the craft of tattooing and totally goes against any honest, "professional" advice that I or anyone else has offered !

The guys "brother" seems to have ignored all advice given, and has started tattooing himself, which I find belittles the craft of tattooing and totally goes against any honest, "professional" advice that I or anyone else has offered !

Where does it say that his brother tattooed himself AFTER reading the advice given here? That's an assumption on your part.

Aside from that, if you don't like somebody ignoring your advice, stop giving it and walk away.

Being rude to a poster is absolutely ridiculous. This is a friendly forum, where many, MANY posters come back and become regular contributors, myself included, because of the lovely, kind attitudes of the majority of posters here.

Being downright rude to someone gives a horrible impression of this forum, and I just hope that new people aren't turned off posting here because of attitudes like yours.

He hasn't ignored any advice given:confused: This thread was started nine days ago I seriously doubt in those nine days he has bought a a tattoo gun and tattoo'ed himself ;). Sounds like he did tattoo himself at one stage but is looking to get into tattoo the traditional way and is askng for advice how to go about going down that road and has knows being a scratcher is not the way to go.

Im a tradesman while I do accept that the tattoo industry is quite unique everything that I have said is still applicable when it comes to apprentice tattoo artists :). I also could travel the world with my trade in my own job Ive worked with people from America, New Zealand and Australia all stopping off here working for a few months working while traveling around, and I myself was offered a job in Australia at one stage so thats not a tattoo only phenomenon :).

Yeh it is an industry that need to be regulated a lot more, I know its more regulated up north but is it by much?

If I remember correctly you said in a post your wife was the artist and you owned the studio? Apologies if im wrong.

How long was your training? Did you directly apply your trade to the human body, putting yourself and your client at risk of life threatening illness? If you made a mistake while learning how hard was it to rectify?

The only career that remotely resembles tattooing is that of a surgeon. People belittle the craft by thinking that anyone who can draw can tattoo. That is not the case. A coil based tattoo machine can do some pretty serious damage in the wrong hands. Many tattooists who have been in the industry for years still cannot adjust a machine properly, I would suggest it is more complex than tuning a piano.

There are hundreds of trades and careers that require people to pay large sums of money just to get to the point where they can start working with the public...

Simply put the art of the tattooist is far more complex than the average person could imagine, and most of the people who work in the industry are sick of every kid who watches LA Ink thinking they have got what it takes.

I would put my wife's artistic ability above nearly every art teacher I have ever met, she has been tattooing for years, yet she still comes home in tears because some tiny element in a tattoo did not work out how she had hoped, and that's after the clients left ecstatic with her work.

Any artistic endeavor requires an injection of emotion that those who work outside the field cannot comprehend.

Tattooing more than all others.

How long was your training? Did you directly apply your trade to the human body, putting yourself and your client at risk of life threatening illness? If you made a mistake while learning how hard was it to rectify?

The only career that remotely resembles tattooing is that of a surgeon. People belittle the craft by thinking that anyone who can draw can tattoo. That is not the case. A coil based tattoo machine can do some pretty serious damage in the wrong hands. Many tattooists who have been in the industry for years still cannot adjust a machine properly, I would suggest it is more complex than tuning a piano.

There are hundreds of trades and careers that require people to pay large sums of money just to get to the point where they can start working with the public...

Simply put the art of the tattooist is far more complex than the average person could imagine, and most of the people who work in the industry are sick of every kid who watches LA Ink thinking they have got what it takes.

I would put my wife's artistic ability above nearly every art teacher I have ever met, she has been tattooing for years, yet she still comes home in tears because some tiny element in a tattoo did not work out how she had hoped, and that's after the clients left ecstatic with her work.

Any artistic endeavor requires an injection of emotion that those who work outside the field cannot comprehend.

The fact that tattooing is a very difficult trade (which I am NOT disputing, I know it's extremely difficult) doesn't give you the right to be rude to a poster. Okay, you have a good bit of knowledge, but as someone who isn't even a tattoo artist themselves, how can you disparage somebody's dream so easily when it's not something you even do yourself?

Not that its relevant since you side tracked away from every point I have made in the first reply I made to you :confused: My training took four years,no I do not put my clients at risk or work on the human body, if I make a mistake in my job can I rectify it sometimes but other no its quite easy to loose a limb in the job I do I myself had to go the E.R before for X Rays and stitches and a work colleague was out of work for a few months after doing nerve damage can you loose a limb while tattooing?

I dont be little the craft of tattooing in fact I wish I had the skill to do it and can spend all day admiring the work of the top artists world over on daily basis sometimes leaving myself in aww at the skill they have, but surgeons they are not.

• Advertisement

I edited the post, it was not meant to sound rude, it was meant jokingly, but it was a lot nicer than what he could hear if he goes into a tattoo studio bragging about his homemade tattoos ! I hope this does not break any rules, but this post explains quite well the thoughts of many tattoo artists, who have dedicated their life to the craft of tattooing and who feel the same as I do...

http://www.timepiecetattoo.co.uk/blog.php

If the op or anyone else wants to really have a career in our industry then they should also check out this forum...

http://www.bigtattooplanet.com/forums/apprenticeships-advice-new-tattooing/

I edited the post, it was not meant to sound rude, it was meant jokingly, but it was a lot nicer than what he could hear if he goes into a tattoo studio bragging about his homemade tattoos ! I hope this does not break any rules, but this post explains quite well the thoughts of many tattoo artists, who have dedicated their life to the craft of tattooing and who feel the same as I do...

http://www.timepiecetattoo.co.uk/blog.php

Well actually, no. It gives you/your wife's opinion. That's all.

bodice-ripper is a professional, as are a few other posters here. Somehow they managed to stay polite in all of their responses.

You can warn someone that they'll get dog's abuse in a studio without being rude yourself. :rolleyes:

Not that its relevant since you side tracked away from every point I have made in the first reply I made to you :confused: My training took four years,no I do not put my clients at risk or work on the human body, if I make a mistake in my job can I rectify it sometimes but other no its quite easy to loose a limb in the job I do I myself had to go the E.R before for X Rays and stitches and a work colleague was out of work for a few months after doing nerve damage can you loose a limb while tattooing?

I dont be little the craft of tattooing in fact I wish I had the skill to do it and can spend all day admiring the work of the top artists world over on daily basis sometimes leaving myself in aww at the skill they have, but surgeons they are not.

I ignored your other comments because I did not feel they were relevant. No, surgeons and tattooist are not the same, but could you tell me another profession where the client places so much trust in his service provider, where the clients endures hours of pain and where the results often cannot be removed without countless hours of laser surgery?

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Well actually, no. It gives you/your wife's opinion. That's all.

Actually, its pretty much the opinion of 95% of tattoo artists on the planet !

Go to the big planet apprentice forum and ask them :rolleyes:

I ignored your other comments because I did not feel they were relevant.

You've ignored many valid points, made by more than just Marty.

And with that, I'm out. We've de-railed this thread enough. I will say, however, that your studio's work is not amazing enough that you should feel able to be condescending and arrogant towards somebody seeking information and trying to do the right thing to get into the industry.

I ignored your other comments because I did not feel they were relevant. No, surgeons and tattooist are not the same, but could you tell me another profession where the client places so much trust in his service provider, where the clients endures hours of pain and where the results often cannot be removed without countless hours of laser surgery?

Wow nice manners youre displaying, I could be rude in return but I wont lower myself to that level and pass comment on you and your studio. They werent relevant yet you still couldnt manage to give a well thought put and educated response instead decided to side track it to my profession which has nothing to do with this thread:confused:

All of our studios work is that of my wife. She has been tattooing 2 years. We charge £60 per hour. Based on that, her work is amazing, and she is booked up a month in advance, so I guess someone thinks she is good :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

All of our studios work is that of my wife. She has been tattooing 2 years. We charge £60 per hour. Based on that, her work is amazing, and she is booked up a month in advance, so I guess someone thinks she is good :)

Pull your head out of your arse a bit. There are studios in limerick charging more than that and the work is laughable. Let me guess, the only studio in Newcastle? I haven't been there in a few years buts its a town I know well, my cousin owns a bike shop very close to your studio.

Wow nice manners youre displaying, I could be rude in return but I wont lower myself to that level and pass comment on you and your studio. They werent relevant yet you still couldnt manage to give a well thought put and educated response instead decided to side track it to my profession which has nothing to do with this thread:confused:

Marty you wrote a long post detailing exactly why tattooing was like any other profession... Now you feel I derailed the thread to suit my argument because I explained why it was not???

As I said earlier on this same thread we have taken people on and tried harder than anyone could ask to help people get into this industry.We have spent thousands trying to help people that thought they deserved it, this whole thread went off track because people questioned how the tattoo industry approaches training people.

I am simply trying to explain that its not as easy as any other industry, that it takes more skill than most jobs and that the tattooist is in a position of great responsibility that cannot be compared to other industry's.

If the OP is offended by any of this he or his brother may find they are not suited to the industry, if only because it takes a special person to survive in the world of tattooing !

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    Pull your head out of your arse a bit. There are studios in limerick charging more than that and the work is laughable. Let me guess, the only studio in Newcastle? I haven't been there in a few years buts its a town I know well, my cousin owns a bike shop very close to your studio.

Unfortunately we have two guys in small towns either side of us who charge considerably less than us, and we are a a fair distance from Belfast, which has lots of studios. Yes we should charge more, but we do ok, we have a huge list of repeat clients, and we are starting to get lots of clients travelling from further afield, so we will be putting our prices up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement