Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo course

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Why should you charge more? And especially putting prices up because people are travelling from further afield to get work done? Makes no sense to charge them more than people who travel from Kilkeel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭bubblebery

Look guys, I have nothing to gain or loose by this thread. As said in previous posts, I will help anyone who honestly wants a hand up, but I also will always be honest. Tattooing is a hard game to get into... But like all things in life, if you follow the right path you will always get where you want go, eventually ! With that, I am out !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

bubblebery wrote: »
    Look guys, I have nothing to gain or loose by this thread. As said in previous posts, I will help anyone who honestly wants a hand up, but I also will always be honest. Tattooing is a hard game to get into... But like all things in life, if you follow the right path you will always get where you want go, eventually ! With that, I am out !

Actually, after the patronising post you made earlier towards the OP, I'd imagine you have plenty to lose, since I and other posters have now lost all respect for your opinion, whereas I previously respected you and your posts. You did yourself no favours by being so rude in that one post.

What have you got to do with the shop that gives you the right to talk down to professional tattoo artists? Your wife is the Artist, not you.

Melion wrote: »
    Why should you charge more? And especially putting prices up because people are travelling from further afield to get work done? Makes no sense to charge them more than people who travel from Kilkeel etc.

No, we would never charge people more based on where they came, what I mean is that across the board we will be putting our prices up.

The ink we use costs more that most of the kits found on auction sites. Our overheads are huge, insurance, rent, rates etc. People think tattoo artists make a fortune, but they have no idea of the costs involved.

During our first year we got a huge chunk taken off out tax bill because of the costs of opening the business. We also got 25% rates assistance, this tax year its all gone, and having just done our books, we are barley making a living.

Thats ok, we do not want to be rich, and we do ok, but it would be nice to have the same things that others who work 6 days a week have, buy a house, go on holiday. But we are still better off than some !

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    What have you got to do with the shop that gives you the right to talk down to professional tattoo artists? Your wife is the Artist, not you.

Talk down, you should re-read your own posts !

No, we would never charge people more based on where they came, what I mean is that across the board we will be putting our prices up.

The ink we use costs more that most of the kits found on auction sites. Our overheads are huge, insurance, rent, rates etc. People think tattoo artists make a fortune, but they have no idea of the costs involved.

During our first year we got a huge chunk taken off out tax bill because of the costs of opening the business. We also got 25% rates assistance, this tax year its all gone, and having just done our books, we are barley making a living.

What inks are you using?
    I can assure you, I'm very aware of the costs of running a studio and the fact that 99% of tattoo artists don't make a fortune.
    You are the one who said you'd be raising prices because you now have people travelling from further afield, not me.

Talk down, you should re-read your own posts !

That's all well and good but could you answer the question I asked without deflecting away from it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

I would put my wife's artistic ability above nearly every art teacher I have ever met, she has been tattooing for years,
    All of our studios work is that of my wife. She has been tattooing 2 years. We charge £60 per hour. Based on that, her work is amazing, and she is booked up a month in advance, so I guess someone thinks she is good

I was reading through this thread out of sheer interest and could not get over your tone. Seems as well that you value your own opinion/your wife being a tattoo artist way more than necessary (she's only been tattooing for 2 years yet you're talking like you own the whole industry/you are the artist). I know one thing and that is that I will never be coming to your shop.

So far my contribution.

Been working in tattoo studios since 1997 in Australia. My wife would say I "taught" her how to tattoo. Certainly I did the leg work to get the studio open and to keep it running. I do everything from client consultations to tax returns and toilet cleaning. I work 6 days a week, 51 weeks of the year. I sat for hours upon hours while she , under the guidance of an extremely experienced tattoo artist (25 years) tattooed large chunks of my torso, arm and legs. If there is a technique or style she wants to practice, or a part of the body she has not tattooed, I am the guinea pig (ever had your neck tattooed, or the back of your knees?). I set up her machines and workstation, source the reference material and book the clients. Apart from physically inserting the ink into the skin I do it all.

• Advertisement

Been working in tattoo studios since 1997 in Australia. My wife would say I "taught" her how to tattoo. Certainly I did the leg work to get the studio open and to keep it running. I do everything from client consultations to tax returns and toilet cleaning. I work 6 days a week, 51 weeks of the year. I sat for hours upon hours while she , under the guidance of an extremely experienced tattoo artist (25 years) tattooed large chunks of my torso, arm and legs. If there is a technique or style she wants to practice, or a part of the body she has not tattooed, I am the guinea pig (ever had your neck tattooed, or the back of your knees?). I set up her machines and workstation, source the reference material and book the clients. Apart from physically inserting the ink into the skin I do it all.

So you know exactly how hard it is yet you're still being a condescending pr*ck?

The tone of this thread aside, our clients seem more than happy with our services. They are waited on hand and foot, they are treated with honor and respect, if they need it they get it, simply because we still feel excited that they would choose us for something that lasts a lifetime and is extremely personal.

So you know exactly how hard it is yet you're still being a condescending pr*ck?

No, I a being a condescending pri*k because it annoys me that so many people think they deserve a career in tattooing without putting in the work.

I am being a pri*ck because I am passionate about the industry.

I am being a pri*ck because I am not afraid to speak my mind.

Most importantly, I guess I am being a pri*ck because you applied tonal intent to a form of communication that implies so little emotion, yets creates so much:o

Hey man, relax. Nobody thinks becoming a tattoo artist is easy and whoever does will find out for themselves.
    That does not mean you have to crush people who merely show interest in your beloved industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

No, I a being a condescending pri*k because it annoys me that so many people think they deserve a career in tattooing without putting in the work.

Eh, where in this thread did ANYONE say that the OPs brother deserves a career in tattooing?

The OP asked HOW could his brother go about it. Clearly they've shown an interest in going about things the correct way, but rather than help, you belittled the poster. I don't personally abuse anyone on boards, and I never will, but what you did was wrong. That's not passion, that's not professionalism. It was rudeness, plain and simple.

You've done you and your wife's business absolutely no favours.

Hey man, relax. Nobody thinks becoming a tattoo artist is easy and whoever does will find out for themselves.
    That does not mean you have to crush people who merely show interest in your beloved industry.

Guys , it would never be my intention to crush anyone. Believe me, if the guy came to me and asked for honest advice I would give it. If he came back a few months later, had followed the advice and showed the results, I would repeat the process. There are lots of different styles in the business and anyone with enough talent and determination will get help, and the more determined he is, the more help he will get.

But lets be honest, If I wanted to be a mechanic, and could not get a job, would it be ok to start changing the brakes on a friends car?

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Eh, where in this thread did ANYONE say that the OPs brother deserves a career in tattooing?

The OP asked HOW could his brother go about it. Clearly they've shown an interest in going about things the correct way, but rather than help, you belittled the poster. I don't personally abuse anyone on boards, and I never will, but what you did was wrong. That's not passion, that's not professionalism. It was rudeness, plain and simple.

You've done you and your wife's business absolutely no favours.

Couldn't agree more. You've not only been doing your business no favours, you've lost a potential client in myself and others reading this thread.
    You underestimate the power of the internet, Brian.

But lets be honest, If I wanted to be a mechanic, and could not get a job, would it be ok to start changing the brakes on a friends car?

This is irrelevant. I give up.

Guys I did not come here to get business. Honestly, having re read the thread I noticed that it sounded curt, so I changed it. The op and his brother are adults, I am pretty sure he will read all of this and have a right laugh. I took offence, I caused offence, such is life.

I am off to change my daughters nappy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Bans and infractions handed out.
    Calm the hell down, and walk away from the thread.
    Anyone that continues to drag the thread off topic, argue, throw out abusive comments will be taking an enforced break from the forum.

If you have a problem with any post, report it, do not back-seat moderate, do not argue, do not get abusive and insulting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

i'd like to know more of what the OP thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I don't think there's a single thing to be gained from continuing this thread, so I'm locking it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement