Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI draft - "Clearing interest" on BOI account?!

Options
  • 16-01-2013 9:06pm
    Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭

I've never heard the like of it.

I lodged a BOI draft into my BOI current account yesterday. I went to withdraw a portion of the funds today and I was advised that "the draft hadn't cleared yet", that "it would take around four days for it to clear" and that I'd "be charged 'clearing interest' on the funds I was withdrawing until the draft had cleared".

That is utterly ridiculous. What is there to clear. It's a Bank of Ireland draft!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Nervous Nigel,

A bank draft is treated like a cheque and there is a clearing period. As with accessing any uncleared funds, there is interest charged until the funds have cleared.

If you lodged the draft on Tuesday, the funds should be cleared for you on Friday.

Thanks
    Linda

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

Hi Nervous Nigel,

A bank draft is treated like a cheque and there is a clearing period. As with accessing any uncleared funds, there is interest charged until the funds have cleared.

If you lodged the draft on Tuesday, the funds should be cleared for you on Friday.

Thanks
    Linda

Hi Linda

Thanks for the response.

That makes no sense at all. A draft is supposed to be akin to cash. There's no "does the payer actually have the funds" uncertainty involved.

Somebody went into a Bank of Ireland branch with €10,000 in cash and purchased a Bank of Ireland draft for €10,000. I then lodged the €10,000 draft into my Bank of Ireland account.

There should be no clearing period. Charging "clearing interest" is a disgrace. Even if the draft was an AIB draft, it would be a disgrace but the fact that this is all Bank of Ireland that we're talking about makes it completely outrageous.

Regards

Nigel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Nigel,

Bank of Ireland procedure is to treat a bank draft the same as a crossed cheque. A bank draft is not treated as cash as the payer can cancel the draft, if needs be, before it is lodged.

Due to this fact, as the draft is not cleared, clearing interest is applied to your account if you access the funds.

Thanks
    Linda

Advertisement