Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would parents like?

Options
  • 16-01-2013 9:37pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, hope you don't mind me posting this one here, but am just wondering what parents would like to see on their school's website?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

School calendar detailing half days days off etc
    Proper notice of school concerts, sports days , masses and so on
    Plans for extra curricula activities swimming for example
    Details of which phonics systems they are following. My child is in juniors books are kept in school so I am nervous that I am reinforcing wrong method
    Maybe list of topical issues that will be covered in school so parents know what to chat about
    Details of healthy eating policy that school are following
    Details of recycling policy so message can be reinforced

As a first time parent of a school goer I am constantly amazed at what I don't know and tbh school seem to think they every one knows :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

enrollment policy
    bullying policy

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Lisha wrote: »
    School calendar detailing half days days off etc
    Proper notice of school concerts, sports days , masses and so on
    Plans for extra curricula activities swimming for example
    Details of which phonics systems they are following. My child is in juniors books are kept in school so I am nervous that I am reinforcing wrong method
    Maybe list of topical issues that will be covered in school so parents know what to chat about
    Details of healthy eating policy that school are following
    Details of recycling policy so message can be reinforced

As a first time parent of a school goer I am constantly amazed at what I don't know and tbh school seem to think they every one knows :(
    Lisha, did ye have a meeting before the children started about phonic scheme and other policies?Not sure what you mean about topical issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Copies of enrollment forms?
    Anti -bullying policy, enrollment policy, internet policy, discipline procedure etc
    School calender - kept up to date

Useful links for parents

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

We have our anti-bullying policy, enrolment policy and pre-enrolment forms all up already,along with many others.Uniform is listed and we have links to the NCCA for curricular areas . We have a school calendar for some of the things above and as well as sending the school newsletters home to each house, they go up on the site .We use text a parent and we are just getting a school twitter account going as well.

Keep the ideas coming, please!

• Advertisement

Do you have a Facebook account? Ours has one and it gets great interaction. The principal updates it, he's done great things for the school since he arrived, really made a great name for what was once a crap school.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

One that I think is fantastic is - http://www.scoiluidhalaigh.ie/

Not going the Facebook account, we're primary and kids shouldn't be on at that age, access is blocked from school so it would be hard to update any faster than out blog bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Lisha, did ye have a meeting before the children started about phonic scheme and other policies?Not sure what you mean about topical issues?

Nope no meeting. Think it is needed myself
    School website does have anti bullying policy communication policy on website which I think is great .
    By topical I mean more for older kids say if news type current affairs are being discussed in school it would be handy if parents had heads up.

What I find missing from our website is daily stuff
    Like what day to wear sports clothes
    Is swimming /dzncing /music happening this term
    As I work I would also like more notice of plays etc and a timely list of things that are needed (we could get a days notice no joke)

I too would not like it to be Facebook linked

By the way have you any recommdations of a basic book about Irish nature (flora and fauna type ) :):)

Also a current list detailing any sports activities and relevant achievements (without making a super star of any one pupil of course)

Green flag details

Charity fundraiser details

Quiz participation

Not going the Facebook account, we're primary and kids shouldn't be on at that age, access is blocked from school so it would be hard to update any faster than out blog bit.

Oh they're all parents on our Facebook account too lol, it's not for kids, it's for parent updates!

• Advertisement

Lisha, most of that goes in our newsletters which are now posted online for parents to check, as the letters can disappear into bags and not resurface until two months later!
    Most schools I know have a meeting for infant parents before they start. If you want to pm me re phonics, I'll try to be of help,if you wish.
    As to notice as to what is needed,it can happen that the child is told a month in advance and that they only announce it the morning they actually need it, not saying that is what happens in all cases, of course.

Thanks for all the replies, some good suggestions.Next stop is to contact all our own parents and ask them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Code of Conduct.( into which is incorporated the anti-bullying policy.We tend to focus too much on how not to behave rather than how to behave.)

Guidelines on recommended time to be spent on homeork for older primary school children.
    ( I've heard of children spending 1-2 hours per night on homework in second class!!! Parents genuinely didn't realise this was too much.)

Tips that help; ie:remember to check child's schoolbag for notices/flyers ,in case child forgets to hand them up!!

Addresses/contact details for relevant groups; ie:parentline, www.dyslexia.ie , MABS, National Parents Council..... ( I know it might be difficult to draw the line at how many to list,but common sense should prevail.)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

In both of the schools my children attend (primary and secondary) the school calendar is given out in September but we are not told when the school reopens until June. As the last week of the school summer holidays can be in late august OR early September, this is a nightmare if taking late summer holidays.

As to notice as to what is needed,it can happen that the child is told a month in advance and that they only announce it the morning they actually need it

Children should be aware of what is required for school but parents can also be informed by group text. I think it unfair on both to rely on word of mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

In both of the schools my children attend (primary and secondary) the school calendar is given out in September but we are not told when the school reopens until June. As the last week of the school summer holidays can be in late august OR early September, this is a nightmare if taking late summer holidays.

Just so you know, the staff probably don't know until then either. I know that the CEO of our VEC only tells us when we will reopen in mid-late May. We would all like earlier notice too.

Regarding notice of items needed etc - surely this is what a school journal is for. It should be written in and then parents will see it when they check the journal. There should definitely be plenty of notice of anything needed and of events though. I do think events should be listed on the website in advance and parents notified by group text.

Our school calendar comes out in May, as we are tied to the buses due to secondary schools using them too.

The group text system costs for each text, so is not used for things like concert costumes for small groups etc.

Anyway, back on topic-any more ideas?

Sorry, Miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Some good suggestions in the thread.

A "Recommended course of action" section could be very useful e.g. what to do if you think your child may be dyslexic, have learning difficulties, be struggling with a particular subject (perhaps with a contact form for the student's teacher if that's the suggested first step or links to relevant departments etc.?).

What I'd personally love to see would be details of what lessons / course of action occurs if the child is removed from Religious indoctrination and numbers of children that are involved. I don't want my daughter indoctrinated by the school she'll be attending but I don't want her ostracised and left to fend for herself for 5-10 hours a week either...

I suspect most school boards wouldn't allow this type of information to be published however, it might lead to all those parents who only baptised their kids to get them into the school withdrawing them from those lessons...

Advertisement