Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless alarm for house

Options
  • 16-01-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Ok i used to install alarms a few years back and it was mostly the hkc panels although i have used and installed some panels from the aritech range. Anyway long story short, friend needs an alarm that would need to be wireless. Now ive not installed a wireless system before so would probably stay with the hkc range.

If im understanding this correctly i would need
    1 hybrid panel
    5 wireless beams (do these come with batteries? or bought separately?)
    1 wireless external bell
    1 wireless/wired interal bell

Now is there anything else thats needed? the hybrid panel doesnt require anything extra for the wireless beam, external bell etc?
    How good are the wireless external bells? Also how long do the batteries last in the beams and external bell?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

glic83 wrote: »
    If im understanding this correctly i would need
    1 hybrid panel
    You could use the 10/70 which is Hybrid or the Quantum which is a full wireless system
    5 wireless beams (do these come with batteries? or bought separately?)
    Batteries are included
    1 wireless external bell
    1 wireless/wired interal bell
    You could use either wired or wireless internal & external bells.
    My preference would be to wire the external if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Cheers for the reply m8,

Is there much of a difference price wise between the 2 panels?
    Also with the Quantum i presume it can take a wired external bell and wired keypad? and does the panel include a wired keypad like the standard hkc panel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

The quantum can take a wireless keypad
    The wireless bells are good when used with the extra battery pack . I have one .
    If you're using the quantum and an extra RF keypad then place the keypad downstairs and put the quantum upstairs and wire the external bell since it will be easier to get the wire to the bell . But the wireless is just as good and comes with the kit 2 pack .
    . The quantum has a built in internal siren and dialler .
    Why are you using a trap pack ?
    It's better to protect the doors and windows with 2-3 PIRs . It also allows the panel to get the texts/calls out incase they try a smash and grab

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Cheers for the reply m8,

Is there much of a difference price wise between the 2 panels?
    Also with the Quantum i presume it can take a wired external bell and wired keypad? and does the panel include a wired keypad like the standard hkc panel?

Not a lot of difference in the price. Shop around. Take a look at the sticky here for some suppliers.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956748

Again I would lean towards a wired bell. I have come across systems where the bell battery has died after a short period of time & the comms fault had been isolated & forgotten about.
    Also using a powered bell you can get something like this
    Pyronix_DeltabellPlus.jpg
    which is a much better deterrent.

+1 for the pyronics but you need a good sized print on the front . But again there's nothing wrong with the HKC RF bells . The white LEDs are very noticeable
    The quantum kit works out much cheaper when compared to the 10/70
    Dialler €90
    Bell €60
    Int bell €15
    Battery €15

• Advertisement

To compare the 2 bells..

Pyronix_DeltabellPlus.jpg

H01SABBUSR.jpg

Comparison without the logo which is what it will come like

Cheers for the replies lads, the quantum panel looks good when purchasing the pack deal, the hkc rf bell looks the same as the wired version , i take it that it is the same physical size? Putting the panel upstairs and a wireless keypad downstairs could be an option so cheers for that idea. Another question re the wirelss sensors is it possible to conect a contact into the wireless sensor so that they are in series? or is it that the wireless sensors also have a reed contact built in and you can just place a magnet next to the sensor so you have a sensor and contact?

The wireless sensors have a contact built in. You can wire other contacts out from that.

Thanks for the help lads now to get a price for the system itself ;)

• Advertisement

Shop around through the list here...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055956748

just 1 more question can you have 2 wireless sensors on the 1 zone or is it 1 device per zone?

just 1 more question can you have 2 wireless sensors on the 1 zone or is it 1 device per zone?

Why would you want to?

because there would be 2 beams and 10 sensors so 12 zones needed at max, is the panel 10 zones as default and expander cards to get extra zones ?

The quantum can handle 70 wireless detectors. Your thinking of 10 wired ID sensors I think.

yes that would be right so i can have 12 wireless devices no problem so happy days ;) 70 devices as standard is great for a panel without getting into expansion cards

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

+1 for the pyronics but you need a good sized print on the front . But again there's nothing wrong with the HKC RF bells . The white LEDs are very noticeable
    The quantum kit works out much cheaper when compared to the 10/70
    Dialler €90
    Bell €60
    Int bell €15
    Battery €15

Have to agree. The Quantum kit works out cheaper with all the other components added in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Is wireless much more expensive lads? I have the wired sensors on my doors and the motion sensors in all the rooms. Id like to get the windows in the bedrooms done.

Is wireless much more expensive lads? I have the wired sensors on my doors and the motion sensors in all the rooms. Id like to get the windows in the bedrooms done.

You would either need a hybrid panel installed or else some sort of quick bridge to add wirefree detectors. Prices can vary so shop around is always the best advice to give.

Right installed the quantum panel for my friend today so will see how it goes over the next few days 10 wireless sensors and 2 wireless beams.

The keyfob is an issue the panic button on the keyfob doesnt work all the other buttons work eg set,unset,part a part b but when you push the red button nothing? is there something that has to be changed in the settings? * and # together on the keypad is setting off the pa if needed at the moment untill i can get this sorted. Any thoughts

• Advertisement

By default its a duress alarm. For it to be audible change Duress Bell No to Duress bell yes

sorry just to clarify KoolKid * and # on the kepad is setting off the alarm as it should with the internal and external bell both sounding, so wouldnt duress bell already be at yes if its going off for keypad, or is this a setting for the keyfob?

Right installed the quantum panel for my friend today so will see how it goes over the next few days 10 wireless sensors and 2 wireless beams.

The keyfob is an issue the panic button on the keyfob doesnt work all the other buttons work eg set,unset,part a part b but when you push the red button nothing? is there something that has to be changed in the settings? * and # together on the keypad is setting off the pa if needed at the moment untill i can get this sorted. Any thoughts

It does work but the keypad will show no indication of the duress being pressed unless it is set up for bell too.
    Until you disarm the system that is.

To set up the Bell go into devices menu, RF devices, RF devices options and set duress be to yes. Also change the duress delay. I set it to 5. A duress is mean to be silent but if you want the bell ringing too it can be set up

Ill pop in the next day and try that cheers for the info lads, also what is the range for the wireless beams as in what is the max distance from a panel they can be ? he has a shed that hes on about putting on the system but the shed is a nice bit from the house.

Ill pop in the next day and try that cheers for the info lads, also what is the range for the wireless beams as in what is the max distance from a panel they can be ? he has a shed that hes on about putting on the system but the shed is a nice bit from the house.

They have a 400 meter line of site range. Best off testing before fixing ;)

lol dont think the beam would be 400m away from the panel , more like 25-30m away from the panel

lol dont think the beam would be 400m away from the panel , more like 25-30m away from the panel

That should be no problem so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Hi,

Sorry to jump in. I'd like to install a system like this in my parents house.

Can anyone recommend where to source the parts (I'm an electronic engineer so hopefully will be able to handle the installation).

Also, would I need two panels? One near the door to set the alarm when they're leaving and one near the bedrooms to set it at night before bed?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Sorry to jump in. I'd like to install a system like this in my parents house.

Can anyone recommend where to source the parts (I'm an electronic engineer so hopefully will be able to handle the installation).

Also, would I need two panels? One near the door to set the alarm when they're leaving and one near the bedrooms to set it at night before bed?

Thanks in advance!

Most of the suppliers here would stock this system.
    There is also a keyfob in the pack it comes in if the wanted to use that to set/unset or part setting of the system.
    You can also get a wire free keypad for the bedroom if they wanted to see the keypad screen.

• Advertisement

well ive installed systems before but today was my 1st time installing the quantum and have to say was great , very quick to install, and straight forward to set up. I had 1 issue with the keyfob which thanks to the help on here should be sorted over the next few days, it is expensive for the wireless sensors and beams though.

Advertisement