Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making mead for the first time

Options
  • 16-01-2013 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

i have made a run of cider and it turned out very well, so im going to try mead now, basically what im looking for is a recipe ye have used and worked well, plenty online recipes but id prefer to follow one thats tried and tested by ye.

what equipment did ye use and ingredients amounts etc

thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I saw this recipe on Wil Wheatons new home brewing site. Who knew he'd turn from annoying Wesley Crusher into funny, likeable and easy to read Wil Wheaton?

I'm definitely going to give that a whirl anyway. Sounds very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I seen a very similar recipe here: http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/mead-recipes.htm (see the orange and clove mead recipe)

I did it with just regular honey and it turned out perfect (I think the actual cloves will outweigh any taste from the honey itself)

Seriously nice stuff, and it'll be a nice strong drink as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Cliste wrote: »
    I seen a very similar recipe here: http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/mead-recipes.htm (see the orange and clove mead recipe)

I did it with just regular honey and it turned out perfect (I think the actual cloves will outweigh any taste from the honey itself)

Seriously nice stuff, and it'll be a nice strong drink as well :)

Serving suggestion:

They used to do this in a medieval restaurant near where I used to live in Central Europe, they called it the beer special. Add a shot of mead to your beer(you can use any cheap beer), gives it a lovely smooth sweet taste and some extra kick too.

I'm definitely going to give this a try. It wasn't worth the effort when I was across, because you could buy a half litre of mead for half nothing, here where alcohol is so much more expensive it makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

syklops wrote: »
    Serving suggestion:

They used to do this in a medieval restaurant near where I used to live in Central Europe, they called it the beer special. Add a shot of mead to your beer(you can use any cheap beer), gives it a lovely smooth sweet taste and some extra kick too.

I'm definitely going to try this, I have some boring beers out in the shed, this will give me an excuse to use them up - and to open another bottle of mead! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

must buy a few bits to make my mead, will the plastic demi-john make much difference over the glass one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

What ABV% are you expecting to get from this?

Advertisement