Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extensions 'may attract extra property tax'

Options
  • 16-01-2013 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Finance Minister Michael Noonan has said people who invest in their homes by adding extensions may have to pay extra property tax.

The new tax which comes into effect later this year will be self-assessed, but based on the value of the property.

Responding to questions in the Dáil, the Finance Minister said if an owner increases the value of his or her property by building on, they will be liable for extra tax.

"If you have an extension built and all your neighbours are saying 'My house is between €150,000 and €200,000, but you put another €75,000 (or so) onto it by way of extension, then the normal thing is you go up to the next band, and the tax will apply (at the higher rate)," he said.

well that's one way to completely kill off the building trade in this country, which is already on it's knees. Struggling small builders who rely on attic conversions, extension etc will be the hardest hit by this. Clownism as it's finest!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is anyone surprised by this? The tax is based on the value of the house, if something happens that increases the value of the house, it only make sense that it may affect the amount of tax you have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

well that's one way to completely kill off the building trade in this country, which is already on it's knees. Struggling small builders who rely on attic conversions, extension etc will be the hardest hit by this. Clownism as it's finest!

Straight back to landlordism in the 1800s. Improve your land or buildings at your own expense and he raises the rent

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

Yep, chump politicians making an absolute pigs ear out of a country. All I can say is I am shocked at how soft Irish people have become, when Thatcher tried to impose the poll tax it finished her as a Prime minister and we are lapping this up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

it's not entirely surprising no, but it brings to the fore now the issue of whether people will be bothered getting an extension now or a conversion etc.

the knock on effect of that is less work for tradesmen, suppliers etc.

I'm concerned that this really hasnt been thought through properly

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tim9002

There are property taxes in most European countries linked to value. Do you think people don't do home improvements and extensions in those countries? Time for Ireland to grow up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

tim9002 wrote: »
    There are property taxes in most European countries linked to value. Do you think people don't do home improvements and extensions in those countries? Time for Ireland to grow up!

Totally agree with you, the Irish people need to kop on!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

I'm sorry but in other countries the occupier pays which is a fairer system, why should the bum living at the states expense escape paying for the house they are provided with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Is anyone surprised by this? The tax is based on the value of the house, if something happens that increases the value of the house, it only make sense that it may affect the amount of tax you have to pay.
    Exactly, the minister has just stated the bleedin' obvious. Breaking news my arse.

xper wrote: »
    Exactly, the minister has just stated the bleedin' obvious. Breaking news my arse.

As obvious as it may be it doesn't take away from the fact that by stating this position it will potentially stop people who were otherwise thinking about extending, from doing so now.

The bigger picture here is the impact this will have on trades.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

As obvious as it may be it doesn't take away from the fact that by stating this position it will potentially stop people who were otherwise thinking about extending, from doing so now.

The bigger picture here is the impact this will have on trades.

I don't get why some of the other posters can't accept the obvious here, if you have a bigger/better house than your neighbour... you should pay a higher rate of property tax. I see your point regarding the trades, but such is our economic situation as a nation...what can u do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I'm sorry but in other countries the occupier pays which is a fairer system, why should the bum living at the states expense escape paying for the house they are provided with
    Leaving aside the appalling insinuation that people who live in local authority housing are "bums", these people actually pay rent to the local authority at a rate of 20% of their income. As local authorities will also be liable for the property tax, this will be passed on to LA tenants and the figures being mentioned are between €150 and €180 per year to be collected via an icrease in weekly rents. So, nobody is escaping anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

I refuse to accept a better paid job, because it'll mean having to pay more income tax...

hognef wrote: »

I refuse to accept a better paid job, because it'll mean having to pay more income tax...

Completely different and surely you can see that?
    If course people will accept higher paying jobs as they will obviously end up with more money in their pocket despite higher tax.

A house extension however, in most cases is a luxury. Builders have been relying on extensions to provide work.

There will be some people now who won't get an extension due to higher property tax.
    The proof will be in the figures. Im just giving my opinion. We will have a better idea by the end of the year.

Not strictly an accommodation and property statement here but there should be measures taken to grow the economy, not simply take money from people's pockets to stifle spending

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I doubt it.

If you think about it logically, there are two types of people who extend houses:

1. Those who do it because they can afford to
    2. Those who do it because they need to

In both cases, increased property taxes will not put them off. The former can afford the increased tax, the latter doesn't have a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

seamus wrote: »
    If you think about it logically...
    I agree with you, but I think the above is the weak point of the argument. Although the tax liability on a €75k extension is €135, there are some people who will baulk at paying it. We've seen the inverse of that in recent years with people buying newer cars based on the tax rate.

I'd still like to know how extending my kitchen means that I should pay more to the local authority. I'm not using anymore of their resources or services.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

While it maybe obvious that an extension increaseses the value of the property it doesn't mean the council provide additional services. Given that why should there be additional charges for service? The charge is meant to pay for the services.
    Foregeting extensions and focusing on home improvements you get a bigger mess. Insulate, solar panels, triple glazing etc. .. All can increase the value of your property but reduce the carbon footprint and save the government money. Paying vat on all of this and then to get an annual tax charge on top. It doesn't make sense and is punative.
    Then you have heavily populated areas where cost of providing services is cheaper due to density yet the charge is higher.
    It is extremely unbalanced, punative and short sighted application of a system.
    There should at least be a credit given to energy efficiency. Great way to encourage building trade and improve housing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Bear in mind that those who have done an extension in recent years - and I am one of those - have paid a significant service charge for the privilege. I can't remember how much we paid but it was certainly over €5,000.

And there was no change in my services. I didn't have water switched on or off, I didn't need any extra piping or sewerage, didn't need any change to the pathway outside my house. And planning charges were paid separately.

A question - I have increased the size of my house but diminished the size of my garden. My garden is now, in fact, a couple of patios with a large flower bed on one side and a small flower bed on the other. How can you say that this will increase the value of my house if the only people interested are people who want a garden?

Also, we were always told by estate agents that the cost of an extension far exceeds the market value of an extension. That for every €15,000 or so you put into an extension you will be lucky to get €10,000 back.

And if you go this route, do you look at houses that are kept immaculately versus houses that are kept badly?

I don't have any answers. Just pointing out the range of variables and reasons why some people might feel aggrieved.

Actually everyone is probably feeling aggrieved, come to think of it :confused:

Completely different and surely you can see that?
    Nope, can't see that at all. In both cases, the value that the tax is calculated from has increased, hence the tax will also increase.
    A house extension however, in most cases is a luxury.
    Just like buying a bigger house is a luxury (well, more of a luxury than a smaller house, at least). That's why the tax is higher on a bigger house (assuming other factors are equal).

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    While it maybe obvious that an extension increaseses the value of the property it doesn't mean the council provide additional services. Given that why should there be additional charges for service? The charge is meant to pay for the services.

That same question applies to two houses of different sizes - one pays more property tax than the other. Not because of any additional services. Only because of the difference in value.

Is it your opinion that an extended house should attract the same tax as before the extension? If so, all houses should attract the same tax, regardless of size.[/QUOTE]
    There should at least be a credit given to energy efficiency. Great way to encourage building trade and improve housing stock.
    I do agree with that, but then that's an entirely different discussion. Also, aren't there already grants available for insulation, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

hognef wrote: »
    Just like buying a bigger house is a luxury (well, more of a luxury than a smaller house, at least). That's why the tax is higher on a bigger house (assuming other factors are equal).
    Technically, the size of the house will have a relatively small impact on the taxation level, when compared to location. As it stands, those living in a 800sqft terraced house in an average part of Dublin are likely to pay a higher level of property tax than someone living in an over-extended McMansion in Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

And in Ireland we have taxes that they do not with different rates. The European tax system isn't like for like.

Bicycle wrote: »
    A question - I have increased the size of my house but diminished the size of my garden. My garden is now, in fact, a couple of patios with a large flower bed on one side and a small flower bed on the other. How can you say that this will increase the value of my house if the only people interested are people who want a garden?
    Those people won't be interested in your house. People who want a bigger house at the expense of a garden will be. A house normally has a higher value than empty land (unless there's something seriously wrong with it), so I doubt that will be an issue.
    Also, we were always told by estate agents that the cost of an extension far exceeds the market value of an extension. That for every €15,000 or so you put into an extension you will be lucky to get €10,000 back.

Then your extra tax liability will be based on the €10,000, rather than the €15,000.

In the extreme case, I guess, if your extension is bad enough, it might actually decrease the value of the property. Maybe that might be a solution if you want a bigger house, but lower property tax...;)
    And if you go this route, do you look at houses that are kept immaculately versus houses that are kept badly?
    Rest assured, the upkeep of the house will be a factor. So again, to reduce your tax liability, you might try to allow the garden to grow into an uncontrollable jungle, remove some roof tiles to allow water in, and knock some holes in the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Essentially what you are saying is that you have a problem with the tax being attached to the value of the property. This being the case, what fairer system do you propose they use to calculate the tax to be paid?

Technically, the size of the house will have a relatively small impact on the taxation level, when compared to location. As it stands, those living in a 800sqft terraced house in an average part of Dublin are likely to pay a higher level of property tax than someone living in an over-extended McMansion in Donegal.

And that's something worth a separate discussion (and I'm sure it's already been had somewhere on Boards). Does that make sense? Is it fair? Is it "correct"? If the property tax is ultimately meant to fund the local authorities, then the tax take in Donegal is unlikely to be sufficient to fund the needs in Donegal, while Dublin will take in much more tax than it actually needs.

Ultimately, Dublin will be subsidising Donegal. Is that fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Cross-border comparisons are worthless unless we have full tax harmonisation. How would Germany feel if their VAT rate was increased to 23%? Or if every country had the Irish VRT rate?

People have every right to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

barrackali wrote: »
    I don't get why some of the other posters can't accept the obvious here, if you have a bigger/better house than your neighbour... you should pay a higher rate of property tax. I see your point regarding the trades, but such is our economic situation as a nation...what can u do.

You have a bigger and better house than your neighbour because instead of spending money on drink, fags and Torremolinos you put it in to your home and then are penalised. Dont compare with other countries unless the benefits you receive from the local authority is the same. In the UK property tax supports the provision of leisure centres etc. In Ireland they close the leisure centres on Bank Holidays and Sundays just in case anyone would want to use them. The householder in Dublin will, as usual, be subsidising the owners of big houses in the country. ( houses that should never have got planning permission in the first palce)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Maybe in some places, but certainly not all - except in so far as it's part of what rental income covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

30,000 in the bank to go towards extension.
    Supposed to be Darwin down the other 20,000 in two weeks for the builder to start.
    Husband doesn't want an extension. I do.

So now after this news Im agreeing with the husband. Going to tell the bank and the builder we aren't going ahead because we aren't spending 50k in order to spend even more in taxes every year from now on.

Brother has a house in florida that he doesn't use since he got sick. Wel'll just go there a couple of times a year with the 30k we have saved and live it up. Builder will have to find other work and the bank will have to prey on someone else that needs a loan.

MMAGirl wrote: »
    30,000 in the bank to go towards extension.
    Supposed to be Darwin down the other 20,000 in two weeks for the builder to start.
    Husband doesn't want an extension. I do.

So now after this news Im agreeing with the husband. Going to tell the bank and the builder we aren't going ahead because we aren't spending 50k in order to spend even more in taxes every year from now on.

Brother has a house in florida that he doesn't use since he got sick. Wel'll just go there a couple of times a year with the 30k we have saved and live it up. Builder will have to find other work and the bank will have to prey on someone else that needs a loan.

Say the €50k extension were to increase your tax by €100 per year, and that you'll be living in the house for another 50 years. That's a total of €5k extra tax. Just spend €45k on the extension instead. It'll still give you a permanently better house, rather than a week or two in the sun for the next few of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tim9002

who_me wrote: »
    Cross-border comparisons are worthless unless we have full tax harmonisation. How would Germany feel if their VAT rate was increased to 23%? Or if every country had the Irish VRT rate?

People have every right to complain.

It's the principal. Do you think that they don't upgrade their houses in countries where property taxes are linked to value? Of course they do.

And Germany has increased their standard VAT rate from 16% to 19% in recent years so as percentage increase, it is greater than the increase we have had.

Advertisement