Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extensions 'may attract extra property tax'

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

MYOB wrote: »
    So you thought that increasing the value of your house wouldn't impact on a value based tax?

Have you considered how utterly and comically illogical that is?

Dont be so stupid.
    my point was that we were on the borderline, but decided to go ahead with the extension.
    Now, having thought about property tax and that its only going in one direction, we have decided to cancel the extension.
    Not going to spend more money to cost me more money over the next god knows how many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

MMAGirl wrote: »
    Dont be so stupid.
    my point was that we were on the borderline, but decided to go ahead with the extension.
    Now, having thought about property tax and that its only going in one direction, we have decided to cancel the extension.
    Not going to spend more money to cost me more money over the next god knows how many years.

There's only one person being stupid here - the one who didn't realise until someone pointed out to them at a value increase will affect a value based property tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

MYOB wrote: »
    There's only one person being stupid here - the one who didn't realise until someone pointed out to them at a value increase will affect a value based property tax.

Kinda depends on what the value was being calculated on. There was a possibility that this was going to be a site value tax - the final decision was only made last month.
    If it turned out to be a site value tax then building an extension wouldn't have increased the tax liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

dvpower wrote: »
    Kinda depends on what the value was being calculated on. There was a possibility that this was going to be a site value tax - the final decision was only made last month.
    If it turned out to be a site value tax then building an extension wouldn't have increased the tax liability.

Except in this case, this is after it was decided it was a building value and relied on some ditz in the media asking a very stupid question before people realised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Im not sure a 50k extension would push many people up a band. There will be initial reactions similar to this immediatley after the Minister states the bleeding obvious, but common sense will prevail I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

davet82 wrote: »
    you actually bought that line? :pac:

i agree with you but lets face it, this about paying bondholders/banks/debt nothing to do with services no matter how much people want to dress it up.

Even if we didn't have the gambling debts to pay off we still only make ~€30bn and spend ~€50bn, so no mater which way we go about it we need to either make an extra €20bn or cut €20bn from our expenses. There's no non painful way to balance our books.
    Yep, chump politicians making an absolute pigs ear out of a country. All I can say is I am shocked at how soft Irish people have become, when Thatcher tried to impose the poll tax it finished her as a Prime minister and we are lapping this up.

And what are people now paying on houses in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Im not sure a 50k extension would push many people up a band. There will be initial reactions similar to this immediatley after the Minister states the bleeding obvious, but common sense will prevail I think.

This is the key thing, a 100k extension might only add 20k to the value of the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Del2005 wrote: »
    Even if we didn't have the gambling debts to pay off we still only make ~€30bn and spend ~€50bn, so no mater which way we go about it we need to either make an extra €20bn or cut €20bn from our expenses. There's no non painful way to balance our books.

i do realise that, i just wish they'd be honest and cut the bullshít for a change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Who cares. I wont be paying them.

And that is the crux of the argument when it comes to taxes.
    Who cares so long as someone else ponies up.

I hope that you give the brother a few quid to help him pay his taxes.
    But maybe I am expecting a bit much. :(
    The transaction taxes on the money I spend over there will be much lower than here too.

Then again you are in Florida.
    Have you ever thought of moving over there ?

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement