Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New extension-Where To Start

Options
  • 16-01-2013 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

We've decided to build an extension on to our 3 bed semi for a Utility Room and bathroom. And that as far as we've gotten.
    We just don't know where to start or what the process is.
    I'd presume we'll need to get plans drawn up to show prospective builders, but I don't even know who can do that for me(or the cost,but thats secondary for the minute).
    Theres enough Builders listed out there to give you a headache and we don't know anyone who's work done recently to get a recommendation from, so whats the best way to source one?
    Its a small project. The utility needs to house a washing machine, ofch unit, sink, fridge/freezer and some storage units. And a small w/c adjoining.
    Thought a size of 12x10 would be adequate to incorporate that, but again, dont really know.
    So, does anyone have an idiots guide for me to follow?
    Live in galway city, so any local knolledge would be especially appreciated and can be PM'd to me if its ok with the Mods.
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,050 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If the extension is going to the back of the house then it most likely wont require planning permission so that's a bonus in terms of small outlay and time. You need to sit down with someone to discuss your proposals in details and ideally you should look for an architectural technician/architect to prepare the plans for you.

Try to get recommendations from family/friends/neighbours for both the designer and the builder. Have a look around the local area and see who did what work recently and if needs be knock on an odd door and ask the people who they used and would they recommend them.

You could also go online and look at the planning drawings on the council's website and see what designer's name pops up most often. Finally you could also post in this thread in the usual format.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

As in the previous thread you wont need plans for that size if its to the rear so first saving there second saving is something like that any good builder should be quite capable of drawing you a sketch to work with.
    You would be mad to pay someone to draw up plans for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

650gs wrote: »
    As in the previous thread you wont need plans for that size if its to the rear so first saving there second saving is something like that any good builder should be quite capable of drawing you a sketch to work with.

That's right, nothing ever goes wrong when building extensions and all extensions are built in accordance with the building regulations. :rolleyes: Experience tells that to doesn't always happen that way I'm afraid.

And when you ask the builder for a price for the extension you know you are getting the best value for money but have nothing to compare the price against.

Of course one can decide on that route and it does work for some people but there are as many times that is goes wrong as right.

Have the extension drawn up and tender documents prepared and tender the works to a few builders. Have the works monitored and certified and one should be sorted down the road long term, in the event of a future sale.

Im not sure if you are trolling or naive or both.

Your looking at 14 sq mtr or 120 sq ft approx thats very small and a very easy job for any competent builder and as I said in keeping the cost down any competent builder should be well able to draw you up plans, give you a compleat break down as to what you are getting and stick to that.
    And again you do know that you or your builder can submit plans for planing its not such a big job.
    And your builder should also have his own engineer that he would work with regularly to have your job certified if you want that.
    I certainly can and do at that, remember we are living in hard times at the moment and everyone wants to save there hard earned cash and rightly so too so be sure to shop around and do your home work as to what and who you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Thanks for the replies lads.
    The main problem I would have letting a builders engineer(apologies,what sort of engineer? Again, NEWBIE) drawing up the plans is that I'll have to do that every time I want to get a quote for the job, and I couldn't be sure that I'd be comparing like for like everytime.
    I appreciate that an engineer working with a contractor would be fully competant in doing the work, but each drawing will vary slightly, no matter how much input I give myself. I'd rather have a finished article to work with, so theres no confusion about the work I want carried out.
    Like 650gs said its a very small job, but I'm paying for it and I want it right first time, because theres no second chance.
    What I was wondering, was because its such a small job, is there anyone, other than an architect, qualified to draw up plans. I'm thinking thats its too small a job for an architect to take on or that the costs involved in hiring an architect would be high in comparison for the overall cost of the work taking place. If there was someone else that was qualified to do the work, I whould consider that as an alternative.
    Also, muffler mentioned getting recommendations from family/neighbours, but thats not an option. Nobody in my family has gotten work done for quite a while and our neighbours arn't hugely neighbourly:(
    Again thanks for the input...keep it coming!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

In addition to an architect you could consider an arch tech, engineer, building surveyor or other professional. Make sure they have PI insurance and prepared to certify the works. Anyone interested in the job will want to visit the site before committing to a quotation. Most you ring/contact will be interested. You could start here

Thanks archtech. Filled one out already. Just waiting for some replies. I'll have to be pro-active on this and go hunting.
    Would you recommend sites like Tradesmen.ie to find interested people?

Just to add that no one should ever get a builder to prepare plans whether that be himself that does it or gets someone else to do it. A builder builds - full stop.

It was quite rightly pointed out that anyone can prepare drawings for planning applications but who's going to prepare construction drawings to illustrate compliance with building regulations?

And I would also not recommend that anyone engages a builder/contractor who is providing his own engineer. Beware of Greeks bearing gifts and all that jazz. :)

I would also point out about be weary of architects/engineers supplying builders to price work and giving there own man the tip off.
    And remember if your builder supplys an engineer to cert the work that the cert is a legel document and if something seems not right go to the Garda dont take any excuses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

muffler wrote: »
    ....I would also not recommend that anyone engages a builder/contractor who is providing his own engineer.
    ...be weary of architects/engineers supplying builders to price work and giving there own man the tip off.

Exactly the same thing in reverse, but good advice none the less.

There's nothing wrong with an architect/arch tech/engineer/surveyor giving you a list of builders, or a builder giving you a list of professionals. Just don't allow the Builder to pay for certifying his own work, we've had enough of that. Also as stated any professional you engage, make sure they have PI insurance cover, as stated above.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi Fergiesfolly,
    Am currently looking into something similiar.
    Basicilly you can build an extension up to 12 squaremetres without planning at the back of a semi d or terraced house. I think you plan falls within that. There are also one or two other stipulations.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/planning_permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house.html

I am planning on putting in a small toilet and small utility as well as an open room to be used initially as a playroom. 12 sq metres in total.
    I'm also planning on remodelling a small bit of the ground floor in the existing house.
    I am getting some basic options drawn up at the moment as there are a few ways I can do this. Once we have confirmed the outline of what we are doing I plan on getting these sent into the council anyway to confirm they are exempt from planning and getting a letter to state this fact.

Once that is done I hope to get the whole build specced up by someone (as yet undetermined) familiar with the amounts of material and bits and pieces needed for this. Probably an archtech.
    Following this I hope to get a number of prices from builders, some of whom I know of who would have worked on similiar extensions.
    I am only started out in this process and we are still at the stage of determining largely what we want, then getting it in drawings, then speccing the drawings.

So, we've managed to get someone to draw up the plans(thanks archtech for the input) and now we wait for those to come back and then set about the hard part. Finding a builder.
    Theres dozens of builders listed in the area and obviously we can't go and get quotes from all of them, so, how do we seperate the wheat from the chaff, as it were.
    Is there a database of reviews from previous customers?
    What should I be asking him at our initial meeting?
    What qualification, certs, or other documentation should he have?
    How do I spot a chancer?

archtech wrote: »
    In addition to an architect you could consider an arch tech, engineer, building surveyor or other professional. Make sure they have PI insurance and prepared to certify the works. Anyone interested in the job will want to visit the site before committing to a quotation. Most you ring/contact will be interested. You could start here

Can I just ask, what benefit does certifying the work bring and does the work have to be certified if it is below the floorspace required for planning permission?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

kippy wrote: »

Can I just ask, what benefit does certifying the work bring and does the work have to be certified if it is below the floorspace required for planning permission?
    How else do you ensure compliance with planning and building regs? Exempt planning works must still comply with both

A lot of people do not bother getting a cert for a small job and its no big deal if there happy with that just like some people building it them self and dont bother.
    But to sell, get a loan on the house or if you die and your children want to sell the house it will need a cert its the law

BryanF wrote: »
    How else do you ensure compliance with planning and building regs? Exempt planning works must still comply with both
    Indeed.

Who would "certify" the build? And would they need to be on board from the start of the build process?

Also, how would one ensure the person "certifying" was worth the paper they certified on?

Because the cert legal document and it is also his or her insurance covering this work if he certs it

Advertisement