Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative programme modules. info on modules?

Options
  • 16-01-2013 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Anyone any info on the modules below, or know where I can even find out about them?

managerial accounting,
    introduction to IT,
    3D cad modelling, (already did it)
    Land surveying,
    Building measurement,
    estimating and costing.

Not sure what to pick and cant find info about them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Darth Frodo

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

I'm going to assume that the Intro to IT course is optional for you, because if it is, I would advise against it. I did it last semester and it was a waster of time. One hour lecture a week that covers computer theory and stuff, and then a two hour lab that's basically the same as ECDL; all you do is word, excel and powerpoint.
    To be honest, the module isn't worth your while at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

iLaura wrote: »
    I'm going to assume that the Intro to IT course is optional for you, because if it is, I would advise against it. I did it last semester and it was a waster of time. One hour lecture a week that covers computer theory and stuff, and then a two hour lab that's basically the same as ECDL; all you do is word, excel and powerpoint.
    To be honest, the module isn't worth your while at all.

Sounds like the one for me :D

ive them picked already. went for IT, land surveying and building measurement. I was advised against accounting by 2 people who did it and since i never did business or accounting in school they said im better off doing something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

garv123 wrote: »
    Sounds like the one for me :D

ive them picked already. went for IT, land surveying and building measurement. I was advised against accounting by 2 people who did it and since i never did business or accounting in school they said im better off doing something else.

If you've the same lecturer that I had for IT, you're in for a boring time! :P But it is a fairly handy subject to get marks in. Without any study for it at all I got a B2, so if you wanna get a good QCA, you could easily get an A in it with the tinsiest bit of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

iLaura wrote: »
    If you've the same lecturer that I had for IT, you're in for a boring time! :P But it is a fairly handy subject to get marks in. Without any study for it at all I got a B2, so if you wanna get a good QCA, you could easily get an A in it with the tinsiest bit of effort.

Aren't Alt. Programme modules Pass/Fail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Aren't Alt. Programme modules Pass/Fail?

yep they are which is why the IT is a good one when doing the Alt. Programme do as little as possible.

Yeah they are pass/fail and worthless to the QCA, They're only just to pick up the credits.
    Hopefully I wont have to finish them and find a job.

Just looked at the exam paper for IT and I'd say i could pass it now with the bit I know.

9 hour weeks will be fun.

Yeah they are pass/fail and worthless to the QCA, They're only just to pick up the credits.
    Hopefully I wont have to finish them and find a job.

Just looked at the exam paper for IT and I'd say i could pass it now with the bit I know.

9 hour weeks will be fun.

When I did it I had a 4 hour week all on the same day

Jester252 wrote: »
    When I did it I had a 4 hour week all on the same day

Hour lecture and 2 hour lab for it.

the other modules are just 3 hour labs.

Hour lecture and 2 hour lab for it.

the other modules are just 3 hour labs.
    The lab is optional and all it is is formatting excel and word. Never went once and I only lost 2% on the lab test

• Advertisement

The lab is optional and all it is is formatting excel and word. Never went once and I only lost 2% on the lab test

Had the first lecture today and he said we could do the lab work at home..

We also get lollipops for getting questions right :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I know what module I'm doing when I don't get Co-Op next year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Arse Biscuits!

Question actually: When you're doing the alternative program, are the grades that you receive for the modules you did posted on your transcript? Or are they just marked as pass/fail?

Question actually: When you're doing the alternative program, are the grades that you receive for the modules you did posted on your transcript? Or are they just marked as pass/fail?

marked as pass/fail so a 40% is the same as a 90%

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Arse Biscuits!

marked as pass/fail so a 40% is the same as a 90%

Fantastic, so if I get a C it'll just show up as a pass?

Fantastic, so if I get a C it'll just show up as a pass?

yep

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭sigmund.jung

does he ring a bell too?

Advertisement