Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back brake issue/question

• 16-01-2013 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi all,

Each time I go out on my bike for the first 5 mins or so the back brake is very squeaky, this happens if left parked for more than a few hours, sometimes it locks up too the first time I use it.

Also if I brake going faster than 40km it seems to lock up too, even if I'm only braking softly to slow down at a light/stop.

I'm assuming this isn't normal? I can here a clunk, each time before it locks up, it's a very heavy sound, I've managed to not have any real issues with regards to wobbling/falling expect for the first time it ever happened I wasn't expecting it and i nearly went flying cause the back was all over the place.

It's a
    99 marauder 125,
    Brake drum at back,
    I should prob say too tho that the brakes do "work" if you press it too hard it will stop you dead (well not dead, hopefully, haha)

any advice on how I could fix it would be much appreciated, I'm not swimming in money so would need to fix it myself if it does need fixing.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

When was the last time the brakes were over hauled? Any bike left lying up for a week or so gets the brown milky residue on the disc and can be tight for the 1st few mins. Sounds like the pads are either worn down to the bare minimum or the caliper on the bake is loose hence the slamming sound when applied. Even if working fine it should be adjusted that is does not lock up unless you are hammering down on it.

Take the back brake off and see how it looks, clean it and apply some copper grease to the outside of the pads (not the side touching the disc) and you should be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Id stick new shoes in, chances are there years old

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

Thanks for the reply, I've no idea how long it was lying up before I got it, but it didn't move the first month or so that I had it, I never touched the brakes so that must be the issue, I'll open it up tomorrow and see how worn down it is, will I be able to tell if the calipers are worn down too much just by looking at it? (I'm sure I can google a pic of worn ones to make sure)

I should've really serviced it before even going out the first time on it, tho it's my first bike so very unsure of fixing things myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Drum brakes.....get someone to check it out. You probably need new brake shoes, they might be so worn the lever which pushes them apart and up against the drum is flipping to far and locking the wheel up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

New brake shoes as said above.I'd be thinking the reason for it locking up and the "hard sound" you are hearing is a bit or all of the brake lining has come off the brake shoe and is jamming it up.

Price a set of shoes and maybe budget for a wheel cylinder too in case the seals are perished over time.It ain't a very hard job to change them yourself but for the back brake to fail when you need it most,things could get serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Price a set of shoes and maybe budget for a wheel cylinder too in case the seals are perished over time.It ain't a very hard job to change them yourself but for the back brake to fail when you need it most,things could get serious.
    Are they hydraulically operated ?
    Most rear drums I have seen are mechanical.
    As said the shoes are probably worn, is there an wear indicator cast into the backing plate? Usually where the arm enters the plate there is a little metal pointer that shows how far worn the shoes are by pointing to a curved block.
    236658.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Are they hydraulically operated ?
    Most rear drums I have seen are mechanical.
    As said the shoes are probably worn, is there an wear indicator cast into the backing plate? Usually where the arm enters the plate there is a little metal pointer that shows how far worn the shoes are by pointing to a curved block.
    236658.jpg

You're right sorry.My bad:(

Not familiar with the specific one on the marauder but it'll be either one of the two systems OP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Id replace them either way. Drum shoes that look fine could be hard with age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

The Marauder ones are mechanically operated unfortunatly. Have one myself. Havnt had any problems with the back brakes although I replaced the shoes before ever getting on the bike!

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    The Marauder ones are mechanically operated unfortunatly. Have one myself. Havnt had any problems with the back brakes although I replaced the shoes before ever getting on the bike!
    I have never seen hydraulic drums on a bike, you don't need that much power on the rear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Yeh im sure about hydraulic drums either. I just dont really like the mechanicall system. A lot to go wrong.

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Yeh im sure about hydraulic drums either. I just dont really like the mechanicall system. A lot to go wrong.
    I think there is less!
    An arm, a cam, springs and shoes!
    No bleeding, or pistons corroding, pads seizing or pipes leaking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

No offense man but you sound pretty new to biking so I'd take it to a garage to get looked over. If you post where you are I'm sure someone here can recommend a garage in your area that won't screw you over.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

KamiKazi wrote: »
    No offense man but you sound pretty new to biking so I'd take it to a garage to get looked over. If you post where you are I'm sure someone here can recommend a garage in your area that won't screw you over.

No offense taken, I am new to it (brand new I guess lol)

But I've a bigger issue now tho, the chain just snapped !

Luckily I was right around the corner of my mates house, first it came off, so we put it back on and tightened it to the right levels, cleaned and oiled it up etc. and I took the bike around the estate to test it out, it snapped while I was testing it...
    I'm out in Dun Laogharie at my mates place now, I've got breakdown assistance so can get the bike home that way,
    but could anyone recommend a guy in Dublin 8 for the brake pad issue ,

(and possibly to put a new chain on too, but I would like to learn about doing it myself still at some stage, maybe I should just start now? )

Advertisement