Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to do work experience in a hospital during the summer??

• 17-01-2013 12:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭

I'm in 4th year and aspire to become a doctor. My work experience timeslot is full and I have already attended placements outside the timeslot so I can't do anymore. I've done chemistry programmes in universities and I just want to see the practical side of medicine ie what pressure you are put under in serious circumstances and how to handle it. It seems unlikely but is it possible just to shadow a doctor for a week or two?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Leinsterr wrote: »
    I'm in 4th year and aspire to become a doctor. My work experience timeslot is full and I have already attended placements outside the timeslot so I can't do anymore. I've done chemistry programmes in universities and I just want to see the practical side of medicine ie what pressure you are put under in serious circumstances and how to handle it. It seems unlikely but is it possible just to shadow a doctor for a week or two?
    My friend done work exxperience in beaumont hospital during TY. He said that it is mainly just involved in the office part of the hospital. Unless you know a doctor personally I think you will end up for a good part of your time in the office you are shown sone things
    Good luck trying though if u live in Dublin try contact beaumont or st. James now

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

Leinsterr wrote: »

I did a lot of work xp's when I was in school. If you know a doctor, or parents are friends with one, you can get some really good experience. For example my friends dad is a surgeon so he got to scrub in. If you just ring up a hospital and to do a placement, chances are you will just be told to sit somewhere for the day by the nurses. Also, insurance etc. is a bit of a problem these days. If you're neighbor was a consultant, well they generally break the rules, but there is no way you should be going into theater or sitting in on consults.

Another point. If you do a placement, you'll only see one aspect of medicine. Just because everyone does the same degree, dosn't mean everyone has the same job after. The different specialties vary enormously so you'd have to do a lot of placements to get a feel for what it's really like.

Advertisement