Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Spayed

• 17-01-2013 12:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭

This is my experience from getting my dog spayed with a local vet, the timeline is outlined below i think there was unnecessary stress put on my dog,

Booked spay surgery 1 month in advance with vet
    Received txt from vet 48hrs before to remind me and adv me to take dog of food from 6 pm night before operation
    Delivered dog to vet and paid that morning for surgery. The agreement was to collect dog that evening after surgery.
    Received call from vet at 5 o clock to say that he had to go out on a call and that he didn't get to perform surgery untill 2 o clock. He then advised via phone call that he would like to keep dog for the night as she was not fully recovered.
    Ok so i agreed to this as i thought that my dog would be cared for.
    The following morning i received a call from the vet to tell me that my dog did not pull thru the op.
    Basically my issue is that my dog was left after a big operation for over 10 hours on her own in a room overnight on one of the coldest nights of the year. The vet told me that the radio was on and the heat was on i am not happy about this.

let me know what yr thoughts are pls

cheers daver

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

daver123 wrote: »
    This is my experience from getting my dog spayed with a local vet, the timeline is outlined below i think there was unnecessary stress put on my dog,

Booked spay surgery 1 month in advance with vet
    Received txt from vet 48hrs before to remind me and adv me to take dog of food from 6 pm night before operation
    Delivered dog to vet and paid that morning for surgery. The agreement was to collect dog that evening after surgery.
    Received call from vet at 5 o clock to say that he had to go out on a call and that he didn't get to perform surgery untill 2 o clock. He then advised via phone call that he would like to keep dog for the night as she was not fully recovered.
    Ok so i agreed to this as i thought that my dog would be cared for.
    The following morning i received a call from the vet to tell me that my dog did not pull thru the op.
    Basically my issue is that my dog was left after a big operation for over 10 hours on her own in a room overnight on one of the coldest nights of the year. The vet told me that the radio was on and the heat was on i am not happy about this.

let me know what yr thoughts are pls

cheers daver

What breed was your dog?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

i can go in to more specifics via PM if reqd..thks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No need. I asked as some breeds/x breeds require a specific type of anaesthetic (greyhounds/lurchers/whippets etc)

Did you ask your vet what caused your dog to die?

He should have a decent idea and be willing to advise you.

With all surgery there is a risk, did you sign a consent form?

Stheno wrote: »
    No need. I asked as some breeds/x breeds require a specific type of anaesthetic (greyhounds/lurchers/whippets etc)

Did you ask your vet what caused your dog to die?

He should have a decent idea and be willing to advise you.

With all surgery there is a risk, did you sign a consent form?

The autopsy was completed in ucd vet hospital i have the report.

daver123 wrote: »
    The autopsy was completed in ucd vet hospital i have the report.

Are you happy with the report and the details on it?

To be honest I can't really see the point of your original post.

How do you know the dog was left alone for ten hours?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you happy with the report and the details on it?

To be honest I can't really see the point of your original post.

How do you know the dog was left alone for ten hours?

The vet told me that my dog was left in his surgery overnight from 11pm till the next morning at 9 am unattended after a big operation. My post is that i am asking people do they think that this is good animal welfare after a big operation.

I do have a certain amount of belief in the report from ucd. my post is asking the question about about animal stress / welfare after a surgical operation and aftercare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Just wanted to say sorry about your dog and I hope you get the answers you're looking for.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, you are going to need professional advice on this, whether it be a second opinion from another vet, the Veterinary Council, or a solicitor. I don't believe this forum is an appropriate place to be seeking this sort of advice.
    Thread closed.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement