Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken Tag 2 Ranbats discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

I will be in around 2 as previously stated. I can't be arsed to get an earlier bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I'll be in at about half one / two. Got some matches to catch up on! Plus I haven't played in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I only got 4 matches recorded due to phone battery dying, 2-3 are up on my channel now (still processing/uploading)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fergus61293

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

GGS guys. You more than likely know but players start to panic when they are losing so you should block low more and punish if ye can. Thats what really stood out in these match-ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Lol you're telling me. So many missed punishes and far too much aggression/running in. But we were playing way too long and after a while you just gradually decrease in concentration I find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Hey folks, sorry I didn't make it in on Saturday. Ended up having to sub for a tag rugby game again at short notice. I had even been practising all morning, ready to show off my new Jinpachi skillz. I'd say that kinda rules me out of the league in terms of catching up on my matches because I'm fairly behind now but I'll still try make it out there as much as I can!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Apologies for the delay, here are the results from the second Ranbats set.
    First, I'll list the 'catch up' matches, and the difference they made to scores.

C.F 0-3 Jason
    C.F 0-3 Skeering
    C.F 0-3 Witch
    C.F 1-3 Usurper
    C.F 3-0 Bento
    C.F 2-3 Vagrant
    C.F 0-3 Kuro
    C.F 0-3 Fergus
    Vagrant 3-1 Usurper
    Vagrant 3-2 Kuro
    Vagrant 0-3 Skeering
    Vagrant 3-0 Bento
    Vagrant 1-3 Witch
    Vagrant 0-3 Fergus
    Vagrant 1-3 Jason

Which makes the scores:
    Jason: 40
    Skeering: 32
    Witch: 29
    Kuro: 27
    Fergus: 25
    Usurper: 19
    Vagrant : 17
    C.F: 8
    Bento: 1

Onto the second set, the match results were:
    Jason 3-0 Fergus
    Jason 3-1 Vagrant
    Jason 3-0 C.F
    Jason 3-0 Bento
    Jason 3-2 Skeering
    (Missing match result for Jason vs Witch)
    (Missing match result for Jason vs Usurper)
    (Jason vs Kuro tbc)

Skeering 3-0 Kuro
    Skeering 3-0 Witch
    Skeering 3-2 Fergus
    Skeering 3-0 Vagrant
    Skeering 3-1 Usurper
    Skeering 3-0 Bento
    (Missing match result for Skeering vs C.F)

Witch 1-3 Fergus
    Witch 3-0 Bento
    Witch 0-3 Skeering
    Witch 2-3 Kuro
    Witch 3-0 Vagrant
    Witch 3-0 C.F
    Witch 3-1 Usurper

Kuro 3-1 Fergus
    Kuro 3-0 C.F
    Kuro 3-1 Vagrant
    Kuro 3-2 Usurper
    Kuro 3-0 Bento

Fergus 3-0 C.F
    Fergus 1-3 Vagrant
    Fergus 3-0 Bento
    Fergus 3-1 Usurper

Usurper 3-2 Vagrant
    Usurper 3-0 Bento
    Usurper 3-0 C.F

Vagrant 3-0 Bento
    Vagrant 3-0 C.F

C.F 3-1 Bento.

Can I get these blanks filled before I tally total results?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ixayek_usurper

Well, the match between myself and jason went 3-1 in his favour.
    And any missing matches for Cardboardfox were forfeited.
    So give the opponent 3-0 against him.

Ok points from 2nd session of ranbats

Skeering with 37 points
    Jason with 35 points ( still has to play Kuro)
    Kuro with 25 points (still has to play Jason)
    Fergus with 24 points
    Witch with 23 points
    Usurper with 21 points
    Vagrant with 19 points
    C.F with 5 points
    Bento with 1 point

Which brings current scores to

Jason with 75 points + Kuro match
    Skeering with 69 points
    Kuro with 52 points + Jason match
    Witch with 52 points
    Fergus with 49 points
    Usurper with 40 points
    Vagrant with 36 points
    C.F with 13 points
    Bento with 2 points

Bumpity bump bump.

The next session is on this Saturday can everyone make it?

• Advertisement

I should be there with my secret weapon.
    I will be SLIDING to victory

Fergus_ wrote: »
    I should be there with my secret weapon.
    I will be SLIDING to victory

Don't you dare or Miharu-chan is coming for you.

Lads, I'm sorrry but i simply can't give the time for this.

I've exam's now in less than a month.
    If i have to forfeit my games, then fine by that.

Anyways,
    I need to request that next month's ranbats (May 18th is the 3rd sat) be moved to the final saturday of the month anyway, since i have an exam that day (the 18th) and another 2 exams on the 20th and 21st, so, i won't have time for it the wkend of the 18th either.

I'd like to request that we have have a double session on the last sat of May, but, ofc, I'm aware that might not suit ppl.
    If it doesn't suit, then it doesn't suit, no-biggy! :)

Here's some numbers for you guys to mull over:

Since we've 9 competitors, and everybody has to play everybody once, and going with the current number of games to win the set (max of 5, min of 3) in a set, and with the round time @ 80 secs you have:

Max time:
    (36 total sets x 5 games x 5 rounds x 80 seconds per round) / 60 seconds [to convert the answer into minutes] = 1200mins of total play.

Min time:
    (36 total sets x 3 games x 3 rounds x 80 seconds per round) / 60 seconds [to convert the answer into minutes] = 720mins of total play.

Obviously, the actual amount of play-time will be somewhere inbetween that, since not all games will go to the wire.

So,
    Giving 60mins for warm-up, and 20mins or so of delay time (this is time allotted for chopping and changing of ppl coming on/off a set-up) We have a total time of;

3 set-ups: 266.6~426.6 mins, which is 4hrs 27mins~ 7hrs 7mins .... (obviously the real time will be somewhere inbetween that)
    2 set-ups: 400~640 mins, which is 6hrs 40mins~ 10hrs 40mins ...

3 set-ups: 6hrs 37mins~ 9hrs 17mins
    2 set-ups: 8hrs 50mins~ 12hrs 50mins

Conclusion;
    1) Personally, I can't afford anywhere near that time at the moment, so, sorry.
    2) Clearly having 3 set-ups is REALLY gonna cut down the play time
    3) Having it first to 2 instead of 3 will drastically reduce the total play-time ( i can post the numbers if ppl wish)
    4) Since the unchanging factors, suchs as time allotted for travel is so great in comparisson to the play-time, its well worth it , for myself atleast, and i would argue the same for anyone who has a bus ride of close to an hour, to do a double ranbats session on 1 day.

Apologies for the long post.
    I aint trying to put anyone of going or anything like that.
    You guys all know I LOVE playing the game, and personally, I'd gladly sit in the XGC and play all day anyway, but, I have to prioritize.
    And, I know a lot of you weren't happy with the amount of time spent playing the last day so thought i'd give you some real numbers to work with.

Well I don't think we can change the format (FT3) because of the scores in place already, would make it harder for rest of the people to catch up on the people who has a significant lead above them.

I don't mind a double ranbats session if it goes by the times that you posted but it would have to be run smoothly, as the last ranbats ran for about 6-7 hours, bit over than what was originally planned.

3 setups is a must at this stage.

Gonna leave it up to Kuro.

@Fergus:
    Yeah, the times i had originally posted where quite off....sorry. I've eddited them now.
    It would be more accurate if i was to take the average set time and do the calculations that way but i just wanted to give ppl a rough idea.

In all honesty fergus, it will probably take that 6hrs (for a normal ranbats session), unless we were to add another set-up.

Regarding the "first to 3" issue:
    I can completely see your point.
    To compensate we could add more points for winning a game/set?

Having re-done the calculations(see above), it would be almost impossible to do a double set in one day unless we were to add another set-up and/or change the number of rounds to win a game and/or change the number of games to win a set.

@ or current format, adding a fourth set-up would mean the max time would be 5hrs 20mins, minimum time of 3hrs 20mins.

Basically, it takes off 2hrs.

So, the question is, is it feesable?

Well,
    We get charged 2.50 an hour, so, to play for 5hrs with 4 set-ups would be 50euro.
    We're 5euro short! :/

However,
    To play for 7hrs with 3 set-ups is 52.50....we're 7.50 short!! lol! (hence why we all had to give a bit extra to myself the last day!! :( )

No matter what way ya look at it guys we need to cough up an extra ~50cent each.

I'd gladly go out and buy a copy of tekken for PS3 (mind you, i dont own a PS3) if ppl would agree to play on 4 set-ups.
    (i'm hoping also that you (fergus) bought a copy for ps3 too tho! :) )

I think we should leave the format the way it is, would be too much hassle in the end. Unless a point format can be agreed on but tbh I think it should be left the way it is.

I do have a PS3 copy now, haven't played it yet though lol.

I'm sure people don't mind coughing up an extra euro or 2. 4 setups sounds good to me.

But then again, I'd wait until Kuro's input and how willing others are for a double ranbats session but I'm up for either.

Hey guys.
    There's two ways of doing this as I see it, both are pretty straight forward and I'm happy to oblige either way.

1: Double Ranbats, looking at the time crunch you've already done, at 3 setups it seems do-able. That is if people are willing to cough up a little more.

2: (This will likely be the unpopular one!) Setback the date. At this stage in Ranbats I'm fairly cool about 'when' they take place, so long as it isn't miles off our target dates.

At this point I don't want to make a player who's played every match so far have to forfeit matches because of a double booking, I know I said before, no show = no score, but this is case sensitive.

I'll leave it among yourselves. I'm good no matter.

Kuro Tao wrote: »
    Hey guys.
    There's two ways of doing this as I see it, both are pretty straight forward and I'm happy to oblige either way.

2: (This will likely be the unpopular one!) Setback the date. At this stage in Ranbats I'm fairly cool about 'when' they take place, so long as it isn't miles off our target dates.

At this point I don't want to make a player who's played every match so far have to forfeit matches because of a double booking...

I'll leave it among yourselves. I'm good no matter.
    Appreciate the conscideration man :cool:

However, i feel i should point out to you that the number of approximately 5hrs which i posted earlier was to do 1 ranbats session

Conscidering that the majority of people were unhappy about the amount of time spent playing the last day, it would probably be unrealistic to ask for a double ranbats session on one day.

Look,
    A more accurate account of the time we'd need to play is this;

(total number of sets) x (avg. no. of games in a set) x (avg. no. of rounds to win a set [here i'm approximating it to 4 rounds]) x (round time) then {divided by 60 to convert to minutes, then divided by no. of set-ups to get the actual play-time minutes, then divided by 60 to convert to hours }
    36 x 4 x 4 x 80= 46080 seconds of total play time (avg.)
    Which means 12hrs and 48mins of total average play time needed.

Which if we have 3 set-ups means 4hrs 16mins needed just to play the games on average.
    Obviously, it could be a little less or more depending on how the games go so we'd need to alow another half hour just to be safe, and adding 10mins for delay time;

Total = 4hrs 56mins. (this number does not include the 1hr warm-up)

What I'm basically saying is that its gonna take 6hrs to do one ranbats session, on 3 set-ups, on average

So, some possible suggestion changes.....

If we want to keep it as first to 3 (best of 5) so as to allow ppl to be able to catch up on points, there are 4 possible ways to reduce that time :

1) Shorten the round time to 70 sec's rather than 80.
    This would take the total playing time to 3hrs 44mins on average, which when we add in delays, + half hour, + warm-up means...
    Total time in xgc= 4hrs 54mins... (shortened by 1hr 2mins approximately from the current format)

2) Reduce the number of rounds to 2, so, we'll assume that the average rounds would be 3 per game
    This would take the total playing time to 3hrs 12 mins on average, adding in the other stuff would mean;
    Total time in xgg= 4hrs 52mins ... (shortened by 1hr 4mins approximately from the current format)

3) Shorten the round time to 70 secs, reduce the no. of rounds to 2 thereby reducing the avg. to 3
    Same as above, adding in the extras...
    Total time in xgc= 4hrs 28mins .... (shortened by 1hr 28mins approx.)

4) adding a 4th set-up (I've included the time for the various options)
    Round time: 80secs; round avg.: 4 + extras means... total time in xgc: 4hrs 22mins
    Round time: 80secs; round avg.: 3 + extras means... total time in xgc: 4hrs 4mins
    Round time: 70secs; round avg.: 4 + extras means... total time in xgc: 3hrs 58mins
    Round time: 70secs; round avg.: 3 + extras means... total time in xgc: 3hrs 46mins

SO....

Personally speaking,
    reducing the round time to 70secs has the least impact on the players and greatest gain in terms of time, IMO.
    It would take off an hour of time in xgc.
    Obviously, adding a 4th set-up also, would take another hour off.

I'm not a fan of reducing the rounds, because, i feel it doesn't give the player enough time to adjust to the opponent and it doesn't suit a lot of play stlyes.
    If the rounds are shorter then characters with a strong rush-down game (such as Steve,Hwo,Beak,Law,JC) would have a greater advantage IMO.
    I feel it would change the way we'd have to play too much.

So,
    What do you guys think?

Aside from all that,
    I would propose that we delay april's ranbats till the end of may, and to compensate, we could have 2 ranbats sessions in june, then return to normal 1 ranbats session a month thereafter, if thats what ppl want.

Again,
    apologies for the HUGE post...:eek:

I think we're best with our current format and 4 setups. Timeouts are rare enough anyway so I don't think changing the timer has a massive impact. This is all assuming that all rounds go down to the last second which h isn't really that common. 4 setups is the way to go imo. Extra euro a head isn't gonna hurt anyone. Also we need to be stricter with times. We started pretty late last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

Timeouts can REALLY add to the drama guys - just like in real fights (boxing, MMA)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭trecs

I think we're best with our current format and 4 setups. Timeouts are rare enough anyway so I don't think changing the timer has a massive impact. This is all assuming that all rounds go down to the last second which h isn't really that common. 4 setups is the way to go imo. Extra euro a head isn't gonna hurt anyone. Also we need to be stricter with times. We started pretty late last time.

I propose that we start 12 noon (sharp) :D

If it gets to be too much hassle we can just put the whole ranbats thing on hiatus till the summer when everyone has finished their exams and all that.

I don't think changing the format or having double ranbat sessions is a good idea because we have a format that works well and having a double ranbats session will just be like forcing games on people which can get tiring. At the end of the day we are just playing for fun. There isn't really anything on the line in the prize department and we don't have to have the whole ranbats season (If that would be the correct name) finished by a specific date. We are doing it ourselves for a bit of fun.

So I think postponing the next session until June or so is probably the best bet if people can't make Saturday. I will be at the XGC on Saturday anyway so if people want to play Tekken then whether it be for ranbats or just casuals I'm game.

Also something that I have been meaning to ask for a while now. How many ranbats session do we intend to have before we call it quits and crown a winner? and after it is over do we intend to do a second season a few months down the road?

5 sessions are planned as far as I know.

I'm perfectly happy to keep the format as it is.
    Was simply presenting the option(s) and their likely results.
    I gave the maximum time since it gives a better idea of the time to be allotted.
    Not that it would actually impact anything or that timeouts were a factor, but, in the absence of some actual average round time i felt it was the best data to put forward.
    I am a physics student after all! :/

Neways,
    I'm with you fergus on the 4 set-ups.

As for a starting time....

Well...

We tried to get ppl to come in @ 2 the last day and sure we didn't get started till after 4.
    If ppl want to finish earlier then they need to come in earlier.

To be fair, and without meaning to sound like a p***k...
    We all need to acknowledge that doing this ranbats on any given day is going to be over 4hrs long.

So it seems like everyone is up for postponing the ranbats then?

So it seems like everyone is up for postponing the ranbats then?

Seems like the best option.
    As of now, Ranbats will be pushed back to June or late May, whenever people are free again. I'm not going to make dates right now, I'll wait until people know when they're going to be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

OMG this is so complex is anyone up for playing tomorrow?

Was looking forward to bringing out the Lei/Christie team for more practice.

And maybe Trollin' online.

OMG this is so complex is anyone up for playing tomorrow?

Was looking forward to bringing out the Lei/Christie team for more practice.

And maybe Trollin' online.

Yeah, I'll be in for casuals anyway!

I will be in for casuals around 2-3.

• Advertisement

Me too ermahgerd

Advertisement