Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken Tag 2 Ranbats discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

So am I going to have to run double sets at the next session?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ixayek_usurper

Fergi:
    My score should only be 17, not 18 man.

LADS,
    Whats the story with DoC next wkend?
    I meant to ask you all the last day but it totally slipped my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Fixed now :)

I'm not sure if I can go next week, money's a bit tight.

LADS,
    Whats the story with DoC next wkend?
    I meant to ask you all the last day but it totally slipped my mind.

Yes I was the main person pushing for Tekken to be there so I expect a good showing from you guys.

Righto, when's the next date for 4th session?

Suppose we might get this over and done with lol. Do you guys wanna keep going with the originally planned 5 sessions or end it at this one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

I have another idea. Ranbats seems to have gone stale at this point, so how about we just do what Fergus said and hold monthly tourneys? Starting the end of this month. Prize pot accumulated so far goes to tournament pot, people in the lead in ranbats get top seeds for tournament.

What do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Kuro Tao wrote: »
    I have another idea. Ranbats seems to have gone stale at this point, so how about we just do what Fergus said and hold monthly tourneys? Starting the end of this month. Prize pot accumulated so far goes to tournament pot, people in the lead in ranbats get top seeds for tournament.

What do ye think?

Bit crap on people if they've got some points but can't make whatever day the tournament is decided for. imo you shouldn't change a format midway through the event/season. People entered and paid money for a ranbat season so it'd be a bit unfair to change that (unless absolutely everybody involved agrees I guess).

If the ranbats aren't sustainable, maybe just see if people are happy with paying out whatever's there currently to the current winners and then move on to monthly tournaments or whatever.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Bit crap on people if they've got some points but can't make whatever day the tournament is decided for. imo you shouldn't change a format midway through the event/season. People entered and paid money for a ranbat season so it'd be a bit unfair to change that (unless absolutely everybody involved agrees I guess).

If the ranbats aren't sustainable, maybe just see if people are happy with paying out whatever's there currently to the current winners and then move on to monthly tournaments or whatever.

That's more or less what I'm asking. If everyone agrees on it, we'll have a tournament. If not, ranbats goes on as intended. Tbh, at this late in the ranbats there's very little chance for anyone bar 3 people to win the whole thing, otherwise yeah it'd be a huge issue and I wouldn't even consider pulling it.

To add to that, people have been dropping in and out (moreso in). Some people have played only 1 session, having missed 2, knowing full well there's absolutely no way they could make the points back by the end. There's no fair way to settle it, other than I suppose pay out to the current winner and move on as suggested.

Final edit, this is what scores look like now if we finish:
    Eoin - 111
    Kuro - 97
    Fergus - 86
    Jason - 75
    Bob - 73
    Stephen - 67
    Patrick - 62
    Connor - 44
    Dwy - 20
    Ray - 12
    Bento- 2
    (+10 for everyone for Jason and Bento missing last session, +15 to me because Jason and I didn't play our game from Ranbats 2)

Yeah I would prefer tournaments but my question is what format would we be using? Would it be straight double elim or a round robin format? The whole idea of the ranbats was that everyone gets to play everyone but if it is double elim people are probably only gonna get 2-4 matches. Personally I am not bothered about how many matches I get because as I always say ''I am there just to have fun''. However I am sure that other people have a different attitude towards it so we need everyone's opinion on that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I think tournaments would be good - I tend to be too busy to commit any kind of regular time to playing games so being able to drop in for two/three hours on a random Saturday/Sunday suits me well. I haven't played a game of Tekken in person since DoC 9, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

I think we should just scrap it and have a big tournament!

And I'm in the lead so not biased at all.... it would be more fun and hype. Anyone could win and with a big enough pot a lot might win.

I don't mind if you want to stop ranbats now and just hand out the money now or do one more session or w/e, it's up to you guys. There's also an issue of how we're gonna split the money. Give it all to the winner or split it between 1st/2nd/3rd, again up to you guys.

I think we should stick with the current format if we're deciding how to give the money out, not fair on those who did well to earn the points they have now but if most people want to do a tourney I guess we can swing that way.

@Bento, I propose we do a double elimination. At least this way there'll be loads of time for casuals which can provide the means to play everyone if you want. Ranbats was a bit too much imo, bit stressful to play everyone in a FT3 format especially in a game like TTT2 in a competitive situation(at least to me anyway) and it can get pretty stale quite fast. At least with casuals, you can get similar playtime and can just chill out, or even experiment around with teams (which the ranbats wouldn't allow you to do so really)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Anyone around for some games tonight? I'm off work early so could be there for 5ish? But can come anytime really. What do you guys think?

As for the format - How about two round robins with the first place of one face the second place of another, then the finale. But I'm with Fergus really. I like trying out different teams and having casual matches so whatever suits.

Unfortunately I wont be up in Dublin for a while... I'll make sure to go up for the bigger Tekken events since they're not too common, but at least until August I'll be in practice mode down here perfecting iWS1's :(

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ixayek_usurper

Firstly,
    I agree to scrap RanBats. The interest has waned. I personally love it, but I thinks its pretty clear its a bit too much for most ppl.
    Fergus_ wrote: »
    I don't mind if you want to stop ranbats now and just hand out the money now or do one more session or w/e, it's up to you guys. There's also an issue of how we're gonna split the money. Give it all to the winner or split it between 1st/2nd/3rd, again up to you guys.
    Since everbody's invested so much time in it, I think the top 3 deserve to get payed.
    They placed where they are by merrit (mostly :P ) and deserve the rewards.
    Putting the RanBats prize-pool towards a tourney is cool but its really not fair to the top 3 IMO.

Regarding the next tournament format;
    Well, there's the option of a "Euro's" style tournament, where you have pool play (groups) in which everybody plays everybody and then the top 2 from each group go into single elimination matches?

But,
    I'm happy with double elimination tbh.

If ppl want more games @ a double elimination tournament, then they should either come earlier or stick around later for casuals.

I think pools and then knockouts is a cool setup. Double elimination is fine too though.

I think double elimination is a better option if we're gonna do a tourney.

Okay lads I was just reading through the XGC events thread and I came to the conclusion that having our own tournament series isn't the best idea when the rest of the community are trying to organise a similar thing. I made a post in the XGC thread saying what the Tekken community were trying to do and that when talks with the XGC begin the Tekken community and their efforts to try and organise their own tournaments/events should be kept in mind. I also proposed that someone from the Tekken community be present at the meetings. Someone like Kuro or Fergus but that would entirely depend on what you guys think and if someone would be willing to do it. If anyone has thoughts on this matter please read both this post and the XGC thread as well.

I don't think there'll be enough people to do pools :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I'll take it as a no to some games tonight then? :pac:

• Advertisement

I'll take it as a no to some games tonight then? :pac:

Novi, I can't really speak for anyone else but you can catch me on any given saturday at the xgc.

Here lads what's the deal with this? Are we continuing ranbats? Are we starting our own tournaments? Or are we not bothering with either?

I haven't played in ages and would mind a tournament if there was one going on!

Well when I come back, I plan to run a monthly tourney series.

G'wan Fergus!

Now to come up with a witty name for it :P. Thoughts on "The King Of Drunken Fist"?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Fergus' Flowchart Fisticuffs

Iron Fists Infergus?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭trecs

how bout 'king of infergus fists' tournament?

• Advertisement

How about Tekken X?

Research shows that shows with the letter x in them have more ratings :p

Advertisement