Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Where many forecasts get it wrong is in exactly the pattern of weather Ireland is experiencing at present.

A constant stream of weather systems carried on the jetsream which is effectively right overhead.

More learned posters can probably explain better, but even if you look at mt's forecasts from 2 days out, they have been quite wrong - not because of his forecasting, but because even a slight change in mid Atlantic can change the actual weather hitting Ireland one or two days later. Yesterday was classic example - on Saturday the forecast for Sunday said East was to be cloudy and have up to 15mm of rain, - it was a surprisingly nice day with barely a shower.

Obviously in more settled patterns of blocking highs, a longer and more accurate forecast can be had.

At the end of the day, it is acknowledged that forecasting Irish weather is the most difficult in the world.

But that simply doesn't wash with some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭salonfire

Like some other posters on here, I find Met Eireann truly terrible myself and simply cannot be used for any planning the day ahead.

It is not so much the accuracy of their forecasts, and I do acknowledge that any long term forecasts is difficult in Ireland.

Rather it is with just how poor their delivery of the forecast is.

No morning forecast on TV. Why not give a detailed forecast for the day ahead. As I understand, we can only forecast with any reasonable accuracy 12 or so hours ahead. Fine then, but air a proper bulletin for the day ahead, akin to their programs after 6pm/9pm news.

No morning bulletin on TV is unforgivable imo.

The Short Range Forecast function on the website only has a range of 6 hours. 6 hours ffs! The day lasts longer than that, why not push it out to 10 or 12 hours ahead. Even if it has to be acknowledged that it cannot guarantee the same accuracy at the 10 hour range or whatever, just show bloody something !!

The mobile website is terrible and doesn't even include Short Range Forecast function. While we can switch to full site version, the slider on Short Range can be a bit fiddley on mobile browsers. Plus only limited to the 6 hrs (see #2).

When all said, when you compare other delivery methods like yr.no's meteogram and the Rain Alarm apps, it shows just how sorely lacking Met Eireann are in this regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

salonfire wrote: »
    Like some other posters on here, I find Met Eireann truly terrible myself and simply cannot be used for any planning the day ahead.

It is not so much the accuracy of their forecasts, and I do acknowledge that any long term forecasts is difficult in Ireland.

No morning forecast on TV. Why not give a detailed forecast for the day ahead. As I understand, we can only forecast with any reasonable accuracy 12 or so hours ahead. Fine then, but air a proper bulletin for the day ahead, akin to their programs after 6pm/9pm news.

The Short Range Forecast function on the website only has a range of 6 hours. 6 hours ffs! The day lasts longer than that, why not push it out to 10 or 12 hours ahead. Even if it has to be acknowledged that it cannot guarantee the same accuracy at the 10 hour range or whatever, just show bloody something !!

The mobile website is terrible and doesn't even include Short Range Forecast function. While we can switch to full site version, the slider on Short Range can be a bit fiddley on mobile browsers. Plus only limited to the 6 hrs (see #2).

When all said, when you compare other delivery methods like yr.no's meteogram and the Rain Alarm apps, it shows just how sorely lacking Met Eireann are in this regards.

You got your 6 upside-down, their short range forecast goes to 9 hours, not 6.

I must check again but I think it is usually around 6 hours ahead. Maybe it changes. Now it is 7 hours, not 9.

e,g it is 22.58 now. Range is up to 6am.

281hs1c.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

===============================
    RTE decide what goes on TV not Met Eireann

It is also a question of resources, both people and money. You simply cannot compare Met Eireann with YR.NO which is a joint venture between the Norwegian Met Service and a TV station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Talk about getting it wrong today, all the showers are in the West/Midwest and South, nothing in the North.
    04 August 2015 11:05

Today
    Windy today with scattered showers, however they will generally only affect northern parts this afternoon. A mix of cloudy and bright spells with highs of 15 to 19 degrees. Southwesterly winds will be fresh to strong and gusty, but will ease off towards the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Aerohead wrote: »
    Talk about getting it wrong today, all the showers are in the West/Midwest and South, nothing in the North.

Frequent showers all day here in Donegal...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If you are assessing this by the ME radar, I would not bother, as coverage of North is not great. Loads of showers today up north....http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/map/#?map=Rainfall&zoom=7&lon=-5.09&lat=54.34&fcTime=1438651800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

DOCARCH wrote: »
    If you are assessing this by the ME radar, I would not bother, as coverage of North is not great. Loads of showers today up north....http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/map/#?map=Rainfall&zoom=7&lon=-5.09&lat=54.34&fcTime=1438651800

Thanks for that I did not realise that the radar coverage was not good up there , I take it all back so, it just looks on the radar that there are very few showers up North compared to further South. There are some big showers there alright, how come Met Eireann don't use the UK weather radar if their coverage is so bad.

Thanks for that I did not realise that the radar coverage was not good up there , I take it all back so, it just looks on the radar that there are very few showers up North compared to further South. There are some big showers there alright, how come Met Eireann don't use the UK weather radar if their coverage is so bad.

Just another example of Met Eireann's ineptitude I suppose.

Looking at radar sequence over Donegal between Met Eireann and the Met Office, there is a massive difference.

ME showing very little showers while in reality there are frequent, heavy showers here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

...ineptitude...

:confused: ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just another example of Met Eireann's ineptitude I suppose.

Looking at radar sequence over Donegal between Met Eireann and the Met Office, there is a massive difference.

ME showing very little showers while in reality there are frequent, heavy showers here.

That is just silly, I just looked at the radar on ME and there is nothing up North and as you say on the UK radar there are some pretty heavy showers showing up, why do they not link into the UK radar to give a complete picture as to where the rain is, do the UK link into ME radar.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    That is just silly, I just looked at the radar on ME and there is nothing up North and as you say on the UK radar there are some pretty heavy showers showing up, why do they not link into the UK radar to give a complete picture as to where the rain is, do the UK link into ME radar.

I have no doubt it's down to €€€

DOCARCH wrote: »
    :confused: ?

Yes, ineptitude.

Dunno why you are trying to act confused.

Is there a disclaimer on Met Eireann website stating that coverage in the north is not good and may not reflect the reality on the ground?

No? Then that's ineptitude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Yes, ineptitude.

Is there a disclaimer on Met Eireann website stating that coverage in the north is not good and may not reflect the reality on the ground?

I made a very mild criticism of ME's refusal to apologise for the very occasional times when they get something spectacularly wrong literally overnight and was assailed here for attacking ME and called "stupid"!

But they are still, IMHO, far better at local (Ireland) forecasting than anyone else.

I am not familiar with the issue of their radar coverage in Donegal but a failure to post a disclaimer would simly put them in the same boat as every other forecaster?

The BBC doesn't issue a disclaimer that "Met Office predictions for minimum temperatures in the Dublin area in Winter are crap" - even though that is certainly the case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Yes, ineptitude.

Eh, this is on the Met.ie radar page:
    At longer ranges, typically over 100km, the accuracy falls off due to the curvature of the Earth. Sometimes the radar will not 'see' rain at long ranges or report rain at high altitudes that does not reach the ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

ME forecast for Dublin tonight and tomorrow:
    Dry and sunny for the rest of the evening with light variable breezes.

Tonight

Tonight will be dry with light variable breezes becoming light to moderate west to northwest. Lowest temperatures 11 or 12 Celsius.

The forecast graphic shows showers over the city!

Covering all the bases? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Reading the forecast for Friday Saturday Sunday I come across this -"Coolest in Atlantic coastal regions and over high ground".

-" over high ground" Has the Irish population really got so dull that they need to tell us that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭g0g

This might be relevant for this thread for anyone who didn't see it in the news.
    08 September 2015

As the UK and Ireland’s National Met Services, the Met Office and Met Éireann operate to maintain public safety through severe weather warnings and forecasts. Working together, it is hoped that naming storms will help raise awareness of severe weather and ensure greater safety of the public.

In recent years the naming of wind storms that affected Ireland and the United Kingdom (such as 'Storm Darwin') has highlighted the benefits of establishing a formal system for the naming of mid-latitude storms. As storms moving in from the Atlantic often first make landfall on our shores, Met Éireann and the Met Office will be naming severe storms through the autumn and winter 2015/16.

Gerald Fleming, Head of Forecasting at Met Éireann, said: "It may be a cliche to say that the weather knows no boundaries, but increasingly the same can be said for news. When severe weather threatens National Met Services have the significant challenge - above and beyond the technical forecasting challenge - of bringing coherent and consistent messages to the public, to enable effective action in response. Putting names on severe storms helps the public to immediately relate to threatening weather systems.

"As we share a common interest in North Atlantic storms, it makes sense for Met Éireann in Ireland and the Met Office in the United Kingdom to share a common naming system for severe windstorms. We in the forecast office in Dublin look forward to working with our colleagues at the UK's national forecaster in using this common naming system for severe Atlantic storms, helping us to better communicate impending threats to the peoples of our islands."

Derrick Ryall, Head of the Public Weather Service at the Met Office, added: “The aim of this pilot is to provide a single authoritative naming system for the storms that affect UK and Ireland.

“We have seen how naming storms elsewhere in the world raises awareness of severe weather before it strikes. We hope that naming storms in line with the official severe weather warnings here will do the same and ensure everyone can keep themselves, their property and businesses safe and protected at times of severe weather.”

You can suggest names to Met Éireann via our Facebook page or by emailing customer.liaison@met.ie with the subject name of ‘nameourstorms’ and the suggested name in the email.

The names will be collated and a list compiled to include those proposed by Met Éireann. Storm names will then be taken from this list, in alphabetical order, alternating between male and female names.

A storm will be named when it is deemed to have the potential to cause ‘medium’ or ‘high’ wind impacts on the UK and/or Ireland, i.e. if a yellow, orange or red warning for wind has been issued by Met Éireann and/or the Met Office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

g0g wrote: »
    This might be relevant for this thread for anyone who didn't see it in the news.

I think this is probably the wrong thread for that, but it's interesting news.

EDIT: Moved from Atlantic Storms to Met Eireann Thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The radar appears to have had a revamp. Has anything, of significance, changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Discodog wrote: »

The scale has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The colour codes seem changed. I don't see the yellows or reds anymore though the precip hasn't been very heavy since I noticed the new look.

Any changes to the established colours for the different precip intensity is a tad confusing until we get familiar with the new ones. Was this revamp really necessary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Looks like ME radar repairers don't do weekends. Shannon has been down all weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Looks like ME radar repairers don't do weekends. Shannon has been down all weekend.

Ah sure its high pressure, we won't need it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Maybe they're giving it a rest before the weather breaks and they want it in tip-top shape for the month's rain we're probably going to get after this nice dry spell. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

site down? having bother loading it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    site down? having bother loading it!

Don't know about earlier this morning but it seems ok now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Lumi wrote: »
    Don't know about earlier this morning but it seems ok now

cheers. good for me now to. may have been a problem my end but other sites were working fine at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Met Eireann seems to have made a slight upgrade to their TV graphics, mainly the writing and after forecast 5 day summary

Advertisement