Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A fantastic forecast there from Gerry Murphy on the new look Rte weather , in conjunction with science week every day this week they are going into detail with some of the most often used words in the forecast. Tonight, Gerry explained what exactly a warm and cold front are. he also pointed to some stormy weather in the W/NW thursday as mentioned in the Autumn thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

A fantastic forecast there from Gerry Murphy on the new look Rte weather , in conjunction with science week every day this week they are going into detail with some of the most often used words in the forecast. Tonight, Gerry explained what exactly a warm and cold front are. he also pointed to some stormy weather in the W/NW thursday as mentioned in the Autumn thread

Saw that alright. Have to say that I for one appreciate that occasionally the forecaster might delve into the "technical" aspects of what makes our weather what it is. That to me is no bad thing as it's something that many lay people are very interested in. Well done Gerry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A bit more sciency stuff tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Really liked the analysis tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭mattser

Way off the mark earlier in the week with this mornings forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

mattser wrote: »
    Way off the mark earlier in the week with this mornings forecast.

And theres the reason..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Probably the most difficult of all forecast situations; to get the correct timing in a very mobile westerly setup with embedded frontal systems. Which wave depression will develop and where will it begin to deepen etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

piuswal wrote: »
    Probably the most difficult of all forecast situations; to get the correct timing in a very mobile westerly setup with embedded frontal systems. Which wave depression will develop and where will it begin to deepen etc.

I think it deepened right over my head - 29mm of rain so far today!

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

The weather forecast after the nine o clock has gone to s***e lately. Rushing through it . They are giving 4 days ahead before the give the coming nights weather. As for tonight's forecast what a joke. Seemed like she couldn't get it done quick enough. Very poor forecast. And I'm not on about the weather. I expected a much better forecast this evening with the bad weather forecast.She was more interested in telling us about the next weather system that is coming. And that's not due till monday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

It would appear that we are currently experiencing Storm Desmond.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/severe-weather-alert-as-storm-desmond-slams-into-the-coast-34261066.html

Not a mention of the name in the ME on-line forecasts.

I believe the BBC never used the name "Storm Clodagh".

Is this naming experiment already dead?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I donno but I'm sure that little chap on the BBC Matt Taylor used Clodagh on the tv forecast and he does use the names on twitter, I like him as I can see sligo over his shoulder lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭mattser

Iancar29 wrote: »
    And theres the reason..

As late as Tuesday they were calling it dry on Thursday. 48 hours ? Some reasoning.

mattser wrote: »
    As late as Tuesday they were calling it dry on Thursday. 48 hours ? Some reasoning.

A 10kt error in estimating/calculating the velocity of a developing weather system translates to c 450 km in 24hrs.

Howth Head to Clifden - the width of Ireland, is c 300 km by road.

Have a good luck at some global map and see the size of Ireland relative to various other features such as the North Atlantic etc; it might give some idea of the challenge faced by Forecasters and forecasting systems in timing and pinpointing all weather events, never mind extreme and very mobile events.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,696 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Anyone noticed Helen Curran's dysphonic voice during recent forecast presentations?

I may upload a vid or two later this week.

Helen Curran is not Met Eireann ;

The Met Eireann Forecasters /Meteorologists are Evelyn Cusack, Gerry Murphy, Jean Byrne and Siobhan Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Helen Curran is not Met Eireann ;

The Met Eireann Forecasters /Meteorologists are Evelyn Cusack, Gerry Murphy, Jean Byrne and Siobhan Ryan.

And Joana Donnelly

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Why is it that Met Eireann's rain radar page only uses Cork & Dublin radars while the UK Met Office integrates Irish radar data into their own?
    There's no kind of bilateral sharing agreement in place? The good people of Donegal aren't deserving of decent radar coverage from their national weather agency??

And Joana Donnelly

I was only referring to those on TV.
    All of the live radio broadcasts are done by Met Eireann meteorologists/forecasters from their HQ in Glasnevin, including Joanna Donnelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

And Joana Donnelly
    I was only referring to those on TV.
    All of the live radio broadcasts are done by Met Eireann meteorologists/forecasters from their HQ in Glasnevin, including Joanna Donnelly.

Didn't see it myself but someone posted a while ago about her having done a TV broadcast recently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tphase

jprboy wrote: »
    Didn't see it myself but someone posted a while ago about her having done a TV broadcast recently
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97933430

• Advertisement

franer1970 wrote: »
    Why is it that Met Eireann's rain radar page only uses Cork & Dublin radars while the UK Met Office integrates Irish radar data into their own?
    There's no kind of bilateral sharing agreement in place? The good people of Donegal aren't deserving of decent radar coverage from their national weather agency??

The radar is at Shannon, not Cork. I have no idea why they don't use it and the UKMO do.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

The radar is at Shannon, not Cork. I have no idea why they don't use it and the UKMO do.

Quite right. A radar at Cork would be even worse for the North West.

Anyway, just hoping someone from ME might see this and realise the error of their ways. ;)

Maybe now is the time to get onto the Dept of Environment about the need for funding a radar in the NW and help with more accurate flood forecasting.

I'm sure Met Eireann would like to have an additional radar but they have no control over the purse strings.

To be fair I don't think Met Eireann come onto Boards to decide their strategies... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

To be fair I don't think Met Eireann come onto Boards to decide their strategies... :-)

The new colour scales on the Met Eireann website radar were adjusted after they came onto Boards looking for feedback on the beta version. :p

The new colour scales on the Met Eireann website radar were adjusted after they came onto Boards looking for feedback on the beta version. :p

Ah yes, that's different. Public consultation is one thing, silently reading pages of anonymous ramblings and is another!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I'm sure Met Eireann would like to have an additional radar but they have no control over the purse strings.

A radar in Donegal would be great, but in the meantime, could they not just use the NI radar in the meantime? It does not make sense the the UK Met and 3rd party sites can use radars owned by Met Eireann, but they themselves appear not to have have the rights to use UK Met office radar data. Something doesn't sit right about this arrangement.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Swiftly

They don't have to come on boards to see their radar is crap. They just have to look at their website

Ah sure Donegal can use the Icelandic radar... :-)

• Advertisement

jprboy wrote: »

Your correct. She has been doing some late night broadcasts. It seems the Forecaster/Meteorologist team is being expanded. So, possibly 2 new Met Eireann meteorologists on screen in 2016.

Advertisement