Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Bsal

As of 0900 the Belfast radar is down too so that means right now Ireland has zero radar coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Bsal wrote: »
    As of 0900 the Belfast radar is down too so that means right now Ireland has zero radar coverage.

Dublin is ok.

Discodog wrote: »
    Dublin is ok.

Oh, I was using netweather's radar app and the UKMO aviation site and all 3 radars are not providing data to them. Checked ME site and indeed Dublin is working there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

tippman1 wrote: »
    Email responses from Met Eireann are generally not great. Over the years I have emailed them from their website over various subjects and the response rate would be 50% approx. Not great in the pr dept.
    On the one occasion I had call to email them (about a mistake in their sea area forecast) they were back to me in jig time with an explanation (of sorts) and apology, and the forecast was fixed pronto.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I see the radar colour representing light precipitation has changed this morning. It's a very light blue colour and a lot easier to see. A big improvement on the previous blue which was similar to the colour of the sea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Was in Killarney National Park yesterday and took a couple of pictures of the weather station in Muckross, thought it looked a bit overgrown around it and not in such an ideal location which could affect Temp and rainfall amounts. Compare with a picture I came across from 2006 which I think was taken around that year.

qLezLFg.jpg?1

yWPf93L.jpg?1

jPhLAAf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hello? Weather? Did I miss it?

ah here it is.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just watched the farming forecast. Why do ME use such a wide area map ? It's impossible to see the detail over Ireland. The UK Met forecast is so much more detailed. According to ME this week is a washout in Galway. UK Met & yr.no suggest that Galway won't be too bad - in fact yr.no has it as a pretty dry week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Looking at the Met Eireann website, there's a section listing major weather events over the years:

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/major-events.asp

I'm disappointed to see that none of the links describing the specific events appear to work. Does anyone know if this is just a temporary glitch or is it a work in progress?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Popped this into the appropriate thread. No need for a new thread as that archive has been online for many years...and...links work for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭Comhrá

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Mod Note: Popped this into the appropriate thread. No need for a new thread as that archive has been online for many years...and...links work for me?

I just tried a different browser (Microsoft Edge) and the links work fine. :o

When I use my default browser (Firefox) the links just threw up blank white pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

tippman1 wrote: »
    Looking at the Met Eireann website, there's a section listing major weather events over the years:

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/major-events.asp

I'm disappointed to see that none of the links describing the specific events appear to work. Does anyone know if this is just a temporary glitch or is it a work in progress?

It's also disappointing how they're missing many major weather events I can think of right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Looks like the Met Eireann site has been given a makeover :)

http://www.met.ie/

Looks like the Met Eireann site has been given a makeover :)

http://www.met.ie/

Apart from it zoomed in (no I have my zoom on the average 100%), what is there different about it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Apart from it zoomed in (no I have my zoom on the average 100%), what is there different about it?
    Is it just a zoom in job? Font, colours etc look different to me. Actual layout seems much the same admittedly.

Only the font looks different to me.

bump, if only to be able to find it again.

Two things have been bugging me

A) the lack of a timeframe in RTE weather graphics, the day of the week doesn't really cut it and the often casual language used by the forecasters often gives a vague idea of when the weather will arrive, progress across Ireland and leave. I want a clock on the close up graphics! :)

B) Is there an "official" forecast? One that is agreed by the Met Eireann team and then transferred to the teleprompter script so it's the same regardless of whoever happens to be stood in front of the camera (or radio mic)?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Please fix the android app so that it doesn't default to Dublin. Keeps on forgetting my location as did the old website. Ty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

bump, if only to be able to find it again.

Two things have been bugging me

A) the lack of a timeframe in RTE weather graphics, the day of the week doesn't really cut it and the often casual language used by the forecasters often gives a vague idea of when the weather will arrive, progress across Ireland and leave. I want a clock on the close up graphics! :)

B) Is there an "official" forecast? One that is agreed by the Met Eireann team and then transferred to the teleprompter script so it's the same regardless of whoever happens to be stood in front of the camera (or radio mic)?

As I understand it there are two teams in RTE.

1. The Met Eireann meteorologists; Jean Byrne, Gerry Murphy, Joanna Donnelly, Siobhan Ryan and Michelle Dillon and

2. The RTE Weather Presenters who make up the rest of the on air team

see

https://www.rte.ie/news/weather-team/

This needs updating as Evelyn Cusack is now Head of General Forecasting Division and no longer broadcasts.

There maybe one new RTE presenter but Im not sure about that,

The Met Eireann meteorologist on duty prepares the various forecasts with overall guidance text; Each presenter uses that to prepare their individualbroadcasts. Whether they then use autocue I'm not sure but as far as I know the Met Eireann broadcasters do not use the autocue.

So yes, there is an "official" forecast, but individuals adjust the wording to suit their own style. The sequence of graphics effectively is the visual manifestation of the "official forecast".

Radio forecasts are broadcast from ME HQ in Glasnevin and all are done by Met Eireann forecsasters and as such are the "official forecasts".

The Forecasters on duty in Glasnevin and those in RTE are in regular communication with each other and between them dtermine the"official forecast" with the lead coming from the Operations Office in Glasnevin which has access to ALL met info and models with a team of meteorologists working together.

Why do they keep doing this?

As taken from saorview broadcast of lunchtime weather with the corner graphic inserted. You'll note the showery graphic for the south coast in the insert, tomorrow really needs no comment!

2Lphx.jpg

2LphA.jpg

• Advertisement

Was in Killarney National Park yesterday and took a couple of pictures of the weather station in Muckross, thought it looked a bit overgrown around it and not in such an ideal location which could affect Temp and rainfall amounts. Compare with a picture I came across from 2006 which I think was taken around that year.

qLezLFg.jpg?1

yWPf93L.jpg?1

jPhLAAf.jpg

ME have no control overset up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Just a heads up: on his radio show this morning Ryan Tubridy mentioned that Joanne Donnelly would be a guest on the LLS tomorrow (28 September).

As well as the usual blather, he will be asking her some weather-related questions.

Probably a follow up on her book launch this evening in Hodges Figgis

The Great Irish Weather Book by Joanna Donnelly

Illustrated by Fuchsia MacAree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Joanna gave a very good forecast there at 9pm. She pointed out a 'beast' of a storm on it's way and said it was one to watch alright but it's still 4 days away and could track different ways. Too early to cry wolf until we get more accurate data.

First of all, I'm a lurker here, and bow to the expertise of others. Some great info on these threads so first of all thanks to the guys and gals who make a lot of this stuff accessible.

BUT.....
    I was annoyed by Joanna last night. Her propensity to be act like a celeb, and to be quotable, is taking away from her job and to me is unprofessional. All the tabloids and clickbait sites are quoting her today with her 'ferocious beast' statement, and building stories of red warnings/met Office say.... etc. The lady on tonight's forecast was much more professional, stated the facts, understated but warning of possible changes/stay in touch etc, but no hype and no attention seeking. She should give lessons to her celebrity wannabe colleague.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

First of all, I'm a lurker here, and bow to the expertise of others. Some great info on these threads so first of all thanks to the guys and gals who make a lot of this stuff accessible.

BUT.....
    I was annoyed by Joanna last night. Her propensity to be act like a celeb, and to be quotable, is taking away from her job and to me is unprofessional. All the tabloids and clickbait sites are quoting her today with her 'ferocious beast' statement, and building stories of red warnings/met Office say.... etc. The lady on tonight's forecast was much more professional, stated the facts, understated but warning of possible changes/stay in touch etc, but no hype and no attention seeking. She should give lessons to her celebrity wannabe colleague.

I don’t agree with this. Joanna is straight talking and I really enjoy her delivery of the weather forecast. Is she supposed to just stand there like a robot and pretend there isn’t a huge low pressure system barrelling towwards us? She was very clear the exact track is uncertain and to stay tuned for updates. Begrudgers are always out in force in Ireland if they think ‘someone is getting carried away with their succees’....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Carol25 wrote: »
    I don’t agree with this. Joanna is straight talking and I really enjoy her delivery of the weather forecast. Is she supposed to just stand there like a robot and pretend there isn’t a huge low pressure system barrelling towwards us? She was very clear the exact track is uncertain and to stay tuned for updates. Begrudgers are always out in force in Ireland if they think ‘someone is getting carried away with their succees’....
    No, her job is to deliver important information in a clear, consise and non hyped manner.
    Quotes such as 'a ferocious beast' is nonsense, allowing clickbait sites to use a reputable soirce like met eireann to hype a story on the basis of an exaggerated quote. I won't attribute motivation to her, only to say IMHO it's unprofessional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

On the subject of graphics , would it be possible to give a minimum time before the presenter removes the introduction photographs .

Many people enter the photo competition at the invitation of Met Eireann and, it is unfortunate if their photo happens to be used with a certain presenter.

One presenter in particular removes the photograph instantly, while others m even have time to comment on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

(never know which thread to use in this forum)

I had thought that storm callum had come and gone a few weeks ago, there were news reports about it https://www.google.ie/search?q=%22Storm+Callum%22&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE816IE816&tbm=nws&ei=lO-9W8WTF8H0kwXSy6SoDA&start=40&sa=N&biw=2048&bih=1042&dpr=1.25 some say potential storm Callum others just say storm Callum but I guess that never official happened. Wouldn't it be better if Met Eireann kept its list of names secret until they official announced them as storms etc, then news reports wouldn't be able to jump the gun on naming something as if its official.

(never know which thread to use in this forum)

I had thought that storm callum had come and gone a few weeks ago, there were news reports about it https://www.google.ie/search?q=%22Storm+Callum%22&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE816IE816&tbm=nws&ei=lO-9W8WTF8H0kwXSy6SoDA&start=40&sa=N&biw=2048&bih=1042&dpr=1.25 some say potential storm Callum others just say storm Callum but I guess that never official happened. Wouldn't it be better if Met Eireann kept its list of names secret until they official announced them as storms etc, then news reports wouldn't be able to jump the gun on naming something as if its official.

When Callum was used on here for the Sunday 23 September low, it was always potential Callum as it was easier to say than "that low on Sunday" so to speak. It was never officially named as the storm was dramatically downgraded on model runs closer to the time which was all reported on here and other weather forums. Not in our control how useless the media is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

sryanbruen wrote: »
    When Callum was used on here for the Sunday 23 September low, it was always potential Callum as it was easier to say than "that low on Sunday" so to speak. It was never officially named as the storm was dramatically downgraded on model runs closer to the time which was all reported on here and other weather forums. Not in our control how useless the media is.
    I wasn't criticising the boards, although ( I think even saying potential callum allows confusion), I was suggesting it as something the Met might do, as discussion point. I welcomed the naming of the storms as I thought it help distinguish them but I think its better to stick with a more vague "that low on Sunday" until it actually becomes a storm or not.

Advertisement