Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

General : A lot of dry weather. Temperatures recovering. Wettest period is most likely late Thursday night and Friday.

Cool and misty on Wednesday night, with a few patches of fog and drizzle in places. Lowest temperatures of 2 to 5 C. Towards dawn, some rain may well develop along the northwest coast.
    Thursday will be cloudy and misty over much of Ulster and Connacht, with some rain. It should be mainly dry and rather misty elsewhere, with a mixture of cloudy periods and bright or short sunny spells - these best in southern coastal counties. Highs of 12 to 15 C., are expected in moderate southwest breezes. Wet weather will develop countrywide later in the night, with some heavy rain over Connacht and Ulster.

Friday looks like being a very wet day in all areas, with some heavy rain at times. Top temperatures of 11 to 13 C. A clearance will spread down from the north late in the afternoon or evening and winds will veer northwesterly. Friday night will be cold, with some patches of mist, fog and grass frost.

The forecast for the May holiday weekend is still in the balance. At this stage, it looks as if there should be a good deal of dry, bright weather, with sunny spells most days and just occasional showers. Temperatures too could well get up into the mid teens, possibly higher. But Atlantic weather systems will never be too far away. So there is a risk, that some damp weather, may intrude from the Atlantic, from time to time. So keep in tune with the updates.

:rolleyes: another Met error special, who writes these forecast articles?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭Speak Now

mike65 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: another Met error special, who writes these forecast articles?

That looks like its written by Siobhan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

What's wrong with that forecast.

Its starts with General : A lot of dry weather and then lists nothing but predicted rain events! The forecast may well be right but that opening sentence sets a misleading tone. I've noticed how some forecasters are far too lax with their language resulting in the suggestion of things being better than is actually what they mean to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

anyone know why the rain radars are so intermittent? when playing the rain radar animation sometimes Dublin is offline, sometimes Shannon is offline.. any idea why? are they just faulty or is it do with patchy data transmission with HQ in Glasnevin?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

jkforde wrote: »
    anyone know why the rain radars are so intermittent? when playing the rain radar animation sometimes Dublin is offline, sometimes Shannon is offline.. any idea why? are they just faulty or is it do with patchy data transmission with HQ in Glasnevin?

I emailed Met Eireann a few months back when the first prolonged Shannon radar outage occurred and they replied saying repairs were being carried out, or something to that effect. When the service was restored, then started stopping intermittently, I again sent a query but got no reply.

ME has a wonderful website but they seem to fall down sometimes with keeping the public informed as to the reasons for these ongoing radar outages.

Lots of people like this service but ME don't seem to acknowledge this. A shame really.

On their website:
    http://www.met.ie/contactus/

Contact Form

We welcome queries and constructive comments about all aspects of our services. They will be circulated among relevant members of our staff and wherever possible we will endeavour to respond within two weeks.

Before contacting us, please check if our frequently asked questions have already provided an answer to your query.

If you wish to comment on a particular forecast, please state as clearly as you can when and from where you obtained the forecast.

Sarcastic, abusive or aggressive communications will not be responded to.

sent them a quick query & got a very fast reply...

"Thanks for the query. We gave the Shannon radar a major upgrade of its mechanical system last year, but unfortunately the electrical component is now giving trouble. Until such time as monies are made available for a replacement, we’re unfortunately stuck with what we have."

jasus, it's some state we have, we pathetically whine that we can't afford a fix the national forecast radar service but we're passively paying six-figure salaries to some mediocre public employees (not aiming at MÉ here, there are lots of other examples!) ....argh, it's time for us to decide what kind of civil republic we want!
    /rant

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

sent them a quick query & got a very fast reply...

"Thanks for the query. We gave the Shannon radar a major upgrade of its mechanical system last year, but unfortunately the electrical component is now giving trouble. Until such time as monies are made available for a replacement, we’re unfortunately stuck with what we have."

jasus, it's some state we have, we pathetically whine that we can't afford a fix the national forecast radar service but we're passively paying six-figure salaries to some mediocre public employees (not aiming at MÉ here, there are lots of other examples!) ....argh, it's time for us to decide what kind of civil republic we want!
    /rant

I bet that a good manager could slash ME's spending & improve the service. The whole radar debacle is a joke. The upgrade was clearly mismanaged. I would privatise ME.

I rely on accurate forecasts for my business. The only ME tool that I use is the radar. The forecasts are too vague to be of any use. I rely on Sky News, yr. no & the weather online charts.

Re the animations they usually work on the mobile app when they aren't working on the main website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

The Shannon radar has been down for a good few hours now, and there is some nice showers being picked up by the Dublin radar in the midlands and west but unfortunetly they are becoming out of range.

Bsal wrote: »
    The Shannon radar has been down for a good few hours now, and there is some nice showers being picked up by the Dublin radar in the midlands and west but unfortunetly they are becoming out of range.

unless I was a Arab goat herder or a drought-hit farmer I wouldn't put the word 'nice' next to 'shower'....ever! :o ...the only showers I like are roasting hot & last 10 mins!

back to the radar, maybe a few of us on here can each email the Dept of Environment with the simple specific aim of letting those in our permanent government know that people do give a damn about this unsexy yet critical piece of national infrastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

back to the radar, maybe a few of us on here can each email the Dept of Environment with the simple specific aim of letting those in our permanent government know that people do give a damn about this unsexy yet critical piece of national infrastructure.

I am pretty sure a radar is quite expensive though (I think I heard around a million for one, not sure), I doubt if emails would do anything, especially considering when I was back in Ireland they didn't even get a budget to hire staff for a few years.

12.50 pm radio forecast! WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Summer's coming fast according to the Met -

Friday temperatures will be between 10 and 132 C. Toasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Goody2Shoes77

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Summer's coming fast according to the Met -

Friday temperatures will be between 10 and 132 C. Toasty.

Saw the same!

33ogufc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tphase

I notice there's been no daily data for a number of stations since the 17th of this month
    although the latest reports have been updated hourly (at least for the station I've been checking).

Any comment from ME?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I use past and recent data quite a lot for contests and forecasting. Met E do a pretty good job on the whole and I'm most impressed with their rapid production of a monthly summary on the first business day of the month. I'm equally familiar with the national met service websites of various other countries and they all have strengths and weaknesses. The UK seem to have their historical data more hidden behind veils than the other countries. But each website has a different protocol for finding past data. The US update theirs very quickly also, under "climate" sections of data by state. Canada's weather service has a historical weather section that is usually updated within a day or two also.

On the whole, I think you have a very good national weather service for the size of country and budget especially, and I only try to compete to sharpen my own abilities rather than because I feel it's really needed (although my users tell me I usually have an edge on precip amounts, otherwise it's probably not that different).

These interruptions are usually caused when a key clerical staff person has a sick day or there's a communication problem as with Sherkin Island about a week ago, a power failure possibly made transmission of data difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Never noticed this before, but Met Eireann have a 5-day Atlantic forecast.

Why are the charts so poorly handled? Just watching the 6.55 on RTE1, the daily chart showed nothing but rain yet the summary five day chart shows sun and showers for the same day (Wednesday).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Never noticed this before, but Met Eireann have a 5-day Atlantic forecast.

Nice find, had not noticed them. Will come in handy especially during winter.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

99.2 mm has fallen at casement for 22:00 according to met eireann :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It's a misprint for the trace code which is similar, sure that quality control will fix that before it reaches daily or monthly data.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Just looking at ME's archived lightning strike report for Sunday last, June 9th,
    Three lightning strikes are listed in the North Midlands.

sferic_20130609.gif

I thought Sunday was totally sunny all over the country.

Saturday's archived page also shows a few lightning strikes on what I believe was also a sunny clear day all over the country.

These lightning strikes weren't indicated on either http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=lightning;sess=
    or
    http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&subpage_0=12&subpage_3=3

What's up with the Met Eireann lightning indicator?

2ntl1zo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Does anyone else thing that Audrey (cant think of her surname - sorry) comes up with some random forcasts at times.

Shes clearly been trained by a certain G Murphy - I mean this week Siobhan Ryan was talking about occasional rain - and to be frank that seems surprisingly accuate as the dry spells today were a lot longer then I expected and yesterday held up surprisingly well too (North Cork) - yet the next day (yesterday) Audrey is talking about these weather systems coming in from the Athlantic.

Youd think we were on for 50 mms of rain the way she was gong on about it - ive noticed that before with Audrey - you look at Met.ie (which lately ive realised is the same info used on the 7,55 am forecasts on RTE radio 1) - and then Audrey comes along with a different sounding forecast altogether.

Or have I been imagining it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Old diesel wrote: »
    Does anyone else thing that Audrey (cant think of her surname - sorry) comes up with some random forcasts at times.

Shes clearly been trained by a certain G Murphy - I mean this week Siobhan Ryan was talking about occasional rain - and to be frank that seems surprisingly accuate as the dry spells today were a lot longer then I expected and yesterday held up surprisingly well too (North Cork) - yet the next day (yesterday) Audrey is talking about these weather systems coming in from the Athlantic.

Youd think we were on for 50 mms of rain the way she was gong on about it - ive noticed that before with Audrey - you look at Met.ie (which lately ive realised is the same info used on the 7,55 am forecasts on RTE radio 1) - and then Audrey comes along with a different sounding forecast altogether.

Or have I been imagining it all.

McGrath?

I only ever see her presenting the "World Forecast" late at night on RTE2. Is she on at other times too?

jprboy wrote: »
    McGrath?

I only ever see her presenting the "World Forecast" late at night on RTE2. Is she on at other times too?

Yes I think that's it - thought of it after my initial post.

She sometimes presents the weather after the 1 o clock news on RTE 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

What is Met E on about, just now on the farming forecast she said we had some nice dry warm weather to look foreward to until Friday,then she says "now it wont be dry all the time as fronts will move in from the West" just cant figure them out and what they say .

Storm 10 wrote: »
    What is Met E on about, just now on the farming forecast she said we had some nice dry warm weather to look foreward to until Friday,then she says "now it wont be dry all the time as fronts will move in from the West" just cant figure them out and what they say .

She means I think that yes there would be some nice weather - but she was merely putting in a caveat that it wouldn't be perfect weather.

Unfortunately as im sure you noticed her screens/maps went down just before broadcast - so she had to wing it slightly without her technology - think she handled it all quite well tbh.

And in fairness - if her forecast turns out to be correct - then its not a bad week ahead imo.

Theres uncertainty regarding the weekend - apparently - but that's not such a bad thing - gives a bit of hope :).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Folks this is not after hours , but also there is no hassle with some light banter but keep it clean its a family friendly forum, Im letting everything else go and going to blame it on the humidity, now away with the lots you's and enjoy what's left of the good weather

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Why oh why don't they have the 3 hour forecast on their mobile site..?
    That was so valuable...

Advertisement