Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robb Flynn: "I'll never buy another CD again"

Options
  • 17-01-2013 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

Machine head frontman has totally embraced the download/streaming revolution. I agree with him, but he's a bit late to the party isnt he? I rarely buy physical product anymore, unless its an up and coming band, or Tool, who do great packaging. You have the aforementioned spotify, and also itunes match, and, if you're sneaky about it googles new not-in-ireland-yet free play music service.

10 years ago, you could have your entire music collection on a device. now, you can have pretty much the entire history of music in the cloud on multiple devices.

Robb's already taking a bit of flak for this, but i'm with him on this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

And hopefully he'll never make one :pac:

Nah I dont mind people not buying them in shops, once they pay for the download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Machine head frontman has totally embraced the download/streaming revolution. I agree with him, but he's a bit late to the party isnt he? I rarely buy physical product anymore, unless its an up and coming band, or Tool, who do great packaging. You have the aforementioned spotify, and also itunes match, and, if you're sneaky about it googles new not-in-ireland-yet free play music service.

10 years ago, you could have your entire music collection on a device. now, you can have pretty much the entire history of music in the cloud on multiple devices.

Robb's already taking a bit of flak for this, but i'm with him on this one.
    I havnt bought a CD in over 5 years I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I still buy cds if they're from bands I really like or if I feel I'm getting value for money. I bought Opeth's Heritage on CD because there was a dvd included and I liked the presentation. I also appreciated it when I got a track by track analysis in the sleeve notes for a Reverend Bizarre compilation in addition to the artwork. I think some metal bands go the extra mile with respect to CDs, something I can't say for indie bands, I remember buying the cds of indie bands, up until 2004, bands like Interpol, Bloc Party or Kasabian and you would get the cd and crappy artwork produced in 5 minutes. I think if you bundled in freebies and great artwork and charged 10 euros, and not 16.99, more people would buy CDs. I prefer the format anyway as you have a hardcopy backup with a CD which doesn't take up memory space.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I don't buy cd's either, I buy vinyl. You'd be surprised just how many bands still issue lp's and ep's and it sounds better than cd or mp3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

One thing I have been wondering for a while is: why don't CDs come with codes to download the album from iTunes or whatever. Myself I love getting CDs (or dvd's too) mainly because I do not feel a sense of ownership with digital downloads. I also still love the experience of picking up a new cd from the store on release day or finding a classic album in a bargin bin.

That said though I do see the benefits of digital downloading. Issue with CDs I find is sometimes tracks skip or don't transfer correctly to iTunes or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Robb Flynn is an idiot. He'll say anything to make people think he's on the current bandwagon when he's actually missed it.

I buy nearly all my music on cd.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I used to be firmly in the bracket of buying physical music but now i've gone completely to downloads. I don't have the room for any more CD's and the last few i bought were burned and copied to MP3 and consigned to a box.

The only CD's i'd buy now would be collectables such as Slash's Classic Rock Magazine edition or part of set like Metallica's Death Magnetic Coffin box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Cill94

One thing I have been wondering for a while is: why don't CDs come with codes to download the album from iTunes or whatever. .

Why would you bother doing that when you can just copy the tracks into iTunes, directly from the CD? It always works perfectly for me.

Bit foolish of Rob to come out and say this I think. It will most likely only send the wrong message to today's generation of music fans who think it's alright to steal all their music and never support the bands they are supposedly fans of.

CDs are the best because you get superior sound quality, booklet, and you actually own the physical copy. If you have downloaded loads of music onto your computer and it somehow crashes that can all be lost. Plus with CDs you get the best of both worlds because you can put it on your computer and then you have a digital copy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Cill94 wrote: »

Why would you bother doing that when you can just copy the tracks into iTunes, directly from the CD? It always works perfectly for me.

From my post
    Issue with CDs I find is sometimes tracks skip or don't transfer correctly to iTunes or whatever.

I always find the first track on most CDs skips in places when importing to iTunes. Some a lot more noticeably than others!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

From my post

I always find the first track on most CDs skips in places when importing to iTunes. Some a lot more noticeably than others!

Don't use iTunes then. It's terrible. Actually managing music with it is an awful pain rather than just syncing everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I still buy cds if they're from bands I really like or if I feel I'm getting value for money. I bought Opeth's Heritage on CD because there was a dvd included and I liked the presentation. I also appreciated it when I got a track by track analysis in the sleeve notes for a Reverend Bizarre compilation in addition to the artwork. I think some metal bands go the extra mile with respect to CDs, something I can't say for indie bands, I remember buying the cds of indie bands, up until 2004, bands like Interpol, Bloc Party or Kasabian and you would get the cd and crappy artwork produced in 5 minutes. I think if you bundled in freebies and great artwork and charged 10 euros, and not 16.99, more people would buy CDs. I prefer the format anyway as you have a hardcopy backup with a CD which doesn't take up memory space.
    A lot of metal bands do go the extra mile to give their fans something more. The thing is it can be overkill at times and result in CDs being far too expensive. I just want to listen to the actual music and have a little bit of artwork to go along with it

A lot of indie and alternative bands do have some nice elegant packaging but a lot of them are trying to keep overhead down as well. Also I don't remember Kasabian ever being an indie band.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Morf wrote: »
    Robb Flynn is an idiot. He'll say anything to make people think he's on the current bandwagon when he's actually missed it.

This.

He loves telling people what he thinks, especially when they don't want to hear it

I remember reading in Metal Hammer about a comment he made a few years back (10 years shy) regarding the whole Napster thing RE: Metallica and how he really taught Lars Ulrich really had balls to do what he did....I mean, at the time Machine Head were going to be on tour in Europe with Metallica, so it didn't harm him to say that and might have made him look like a brown nose.

The thing is, in my opinion, that Flynn says whatever he can to get him into the spotlight and tends to say the same thing but in a different way every few years. This information is not new.

I like Machine Head's music and will continue to buy their albums on CD or Vinyl, in a physical format, if the person who makes that music personally wouldn't do the same for his or another band it doesn't make a difference to me in the slightest.

Rob, I wholeheartedly disagree, there will always be a place - in some form - for physical CD's, Vinyl and whatever new form of physical music distributions comes along

....Except Mini Disc, that failed....

From my post

Hmm can't say I've ever noticed that happen to me !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Zero1986 wrote: »
    A lot of metal bands do go the extra mile to give their fans something more. The thing is it can be overkill at times and result in CDs being far too expensive. I just want to listen to the actual music and have a little bit of artwork to go along with it

A lot of indie and alternative bands do have some nice elegant packaging but a lot of them are trying to keep overhead down as well. Also I don't remember Kasabian ever being an indie band.

Kasabian are in the indie continuum/spectrum, not interested in splitting hairs about genre. Heritage with the DVD retailed at something like 14 euro, I thought that was, relativistically, good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Hmm can't say I've ever noticed that happen to me !

Thats never happened to me either. I've stuck with version 9 of Itunes for the last 2 years or so, I heard version 10 was a bit dodgy so I never bothered updaing and 9 works fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Bit foolish of Rob to come out and say this I think. It will most likely only send the wrong message to today's generation of music fans who think it's alright to steal all their music and never support the bands they are supposedly fans of.

CDs are the best because you get superior sound quality, booklet, and you actually own the physical copy. If you have downloaded loads of music onto your computer and it somehow crashes that can all be lost. Plus with CDs you get the best of both worlds because you can put it on your computer and then you have a digital copy as well.

Could not agree more.

Anyhoo, what's his opinion on t-shirt and ticket sales? presumably they're less tasteless :cool:

Advertisement