Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going on the pill/doctor fear.

Options
  • 17-01-2013 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, well I'm 19 and in a stable relationship with my boyfriend for a few months now. We're having sex but we're not 100% comfortable with only using condoms, so I've decided to go on the pill aswell. Here's the thing; I have a huge fear of doctors.

It probably does sound silly, I know. I'll make plans to make an appointment with the doctor and never go through with it, I just get too scared for some reason. I think I just want to kind of ask anyone who's got the pill; what exactly happens when you go to the doctors?

I know it's really, really silly and I do need to get through this fear. I haven't been to a doctor since I was a child. I guess I just need to know what happens when you go to get the pill, what check up does the doctor do, in order for me to feel comfortable and prepared.

Thank you in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

So so easy to get on the pill.

I go to a family planning clinic, where this is solely what they deal with almost,
    They ask you a few questions/ allergies, smoking, how good you'd be taking at a regular time each day etc

Then they check your blood pressure and weigh you.

I don't bat an eyelid now when I have to go in. Get it sorted. Unplanned pregnancy will mean much more invasive doctors appointments!!

You'll be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

ArtyC wrote: »
    So so easy to get on the pill.

I go to a family planning clinic, where this is solely what they deal with almost,
    They ask you a few questions/ allergies, smoking, how good you'd be taking at a regular time each day etc

Then they check your blood pressure and weigh you.

I don't bat an eyelid now when I have to go in. Get it sorted. Unplanned pregnancy will mean much more invasive doctors appointments!!

You'll be grand :)

Yeah similar experience here. Just took my blood pressure, didnt even weigh me. Asked a few straight forward questions. It's something they do very often so try not to think of it as a big deal, it's certainly not a big deal to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Doctors are dealing with this all the time, women coming through their doors every other day looking to get on the pill. They'll ask you a few simple questions, take your blood pressure, maybe weigh you (I wasn't weighed though) and then give you a prescription for the one they think will best suit. It's honestly that straight-forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Maybe ask your boyfriend or a friend to go with you for moral support?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The doctor may also do a brief breast exam. This involves palpating your breast tissue usually to the side and above your nipple. They will also check the lymph nodes in your armpit.

Why not mention when making the appointment that you are very nervous, and to let the doctor know. Would you be more comfortable with a female doctor? In that case, find a practice that has one and specify it in the appointment. You could also request a nurse be present if that would help you. And of course, your boyfriend could go with you too. No harm for him to learn a bit about a contraception that will benefit you both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Could you bring your boyfriend with you? Or your mum, or a sister, or a friend? It might help if you are feeling a bit nervous to have someone there. You can also choose whether you would prefer a male or female doctor.

I personally chose a male doctor that I had gone to before for other small things, because he is young and had a more modern attitude than some other doctors in that clinic. And he's great craic, and could tell me all my options in a very informative but almost informal way, just like having a chat.

I was asked a few general questions about medical history and he also showed me all the contraception options including the depo injection, contraception patches, diaphragm etc.
    After asking my opinion and learning that I was EXTREMELY fearful of getting pregnant, and that I had a lot of doubts about the pill such as I was afraid I would forget one, or be sick or take an antibiotic and make a silly mistake, he decided to try me on the depo provera injection. One injection and 3 months stress free protection each time without having to think or worry about it.

It worked great for me, I had no more periods and it was extremely reliable. I loved the easiness of it, and not having to take a pill every day or worry about getting sick and my contraception being affected. (That is just my experience, other people might have bad experiences of it)

I stayed on it for almost 2 years, however I did seem to gain weight whilst on it even though my lifestyle hadn't changed, so I eventually went back and switched to Yasmin contraceptive pill. I lost a stone in the space of a month and a half after coming of the injection without changing anything else. (not everyone puts on weight with it, none of my friends did) I miss the convenience of the injection but the pill is not really a big hassle and it is very reliable, I have been on it for years pregnancy free with my boyfriend.

Anyways, sorry for rambling a bit. My point was to try and show you that your doctor will just talk you through all your options about contraception,so that you can then make an informed decision on which you would prefer, like you might decide that you would prefer something different to the pill.

I also wanted to show that sometimes the contraception you choose might not agree with you or give you a side effect that you don't like and that if this happens just go straight back to the doctor and talk through some more options. Some people go through several different contraceptive pills until they find one that suits them, so don't give up if one goes wrong. That's what the doctor is there for, to help you find the contraception that suits you best.

I really think you will be grand if you bring someone close to you to help with your nerves. Best of luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Just go - it is no big deal at all. My daughter is about your age and when she was around 16 I told her to go to our GP if she wanted contraception and I would pay for the appointment. She did exactly that and I am very pleased she went without prompting. But she did not seem in the least bit worried about going to the GP, I must say.

Much more sensible to do this easy, non traumatic simple step than deal with an unwanted pregnancy.

Advertisement