Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What allowances or benefits can I get after dropping out of college?

Options
  • 17-01-2013 5:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

okay, so this is my first time posting here so if im not clear or anything just ask and i'll give explaining another go :)

I'm 19 soon to be 20. At the minute i'm in college and i'm in my 3rd of 4 years, (i'm getting a grant at the minute and that's my only form of income) I'm pretty sure i'm going to drop out before the end of this year. I don't feel like the course is what i want to do any more and i'm really not happy in the course and iv lost all interest in the modules and stuff. With how everything is now with the economy and stuff i know its highly unlikely that i will get a job straight after dropping out. so im not under any false illusions when it comes to that :p

So my question is what kind of options are there for me when it comes to getting benefit or an allowance while job hunting and how much a week would i be entitled to? and is there a certain amount of time before i can claim a benefit or allowance?

I've never had any form of a job before or during college if that's any help. I do have every intention of taking a job at the first chance that i get but until then what kind of options do i have?.
    Any information at all would be hugely appreciated :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Depending on your parents income you can get a maximum rate of 100 euro a week if you are under 21 but if you live at home and parents or working you'll probably get half that, you have little to no chance of finding work with no experience or college degree, there's over 320,000 unemployed, you'll be waiting a while to get a job. All you need is a letter from the college saying you quit the course and you'll be on jobseekers allowance straight away but can take a few months for the claim to go through.

If you want to get working straight away have a look at jobridge website where they offer work placements and you get 50 euro on top of the dole.

If you want to switch course next year have a look at springboard website, lot of college courses will start again in September and there free and you can keep your welfare.

Fas also have decent programming and networking certs which are well employable.

under 21 100 euro
    23-25 144 euro
    over 25 188 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

sh93 wrote: »
    okay, so this is my first time posting here so if im not clear or anything just ask and i'll give explaining another go :)

I'm 19 soon to be 20. At the minute i'm in college and i'm in my 3rd of 4 years, (i'm getting a grant at the minute and that's my only form of income) I'm pretty sure i'm going to drop out before the end of this year. I don't feel like the course is what i want to do any more and i'm really not happy in the course and iv lost all interest in the modules and stuff. With how everything is now with the economy and stuff i know its highly unlikely that i will get a job straight after dropping out. so im not under any false illusions when it comes to that :p

So my question is what kind of options are there for me when it comes to getting benefit or an allowance while job hunting and how much a week would i be entitled to? and is there a certain amount of time before i can claim a benefit or allowance?

I've never had any form of a job before or during college if that's any help. I do have every intention of taking a job at the first chance that i get but until then what kind of options do i have?.

You've been given info on possible social assistance available and here is a link that will explain some of it http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

I don't wish to second guess you but perhaps you shouldn't rush into the decision to leave college, especially as you have gone so far and have just a year and a bit to go? Talk to your tutors and access whatever counselling support there is in your college. It is quite common to lose faith in your chosen subjects but remember this degree may prove to be a valuable stepping stone to something you really want to do. This time of the year can be hell if your studies are not on track and it's cold and miserable and most students don't have two cent to rub together and are not eating properly. Most students are in financial difficulty unfortunately but there is no shame in that and you should explore all the help that is available. Keep asking till you get the help that might get you over this difficult time. Best of luck with whatever decision you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

sh93 wrote: »

stay in coollege.its only one more year in a long life. we all go through times when things are difficult. dont want to sound harsh but you would be a muppet to drop out nearly three quarters way through. stick with it and maybe things will look up in 12 months. best oof luck whatever you decide

Just a note, make sure you wont be liable for any fees or grant payback if you drop out early in the year (or just stay put until after exams).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'd like to echo the idea of getting through the last year and a half. Applying for jobs, you can refer to your course to back up answers in interviews. "Module X helped me gain communication skills". Even if module X is anthropology or whatever, you can refer back to presentations or essays or teamwork you did. It is stronger if it was a module in a course you completed rather than one you dropped out of.

Later on down the line, you can do another course that you would find more interesting but, for now, really do think about it. You've put in quite an investment of time already.

• Advertisement
Advertisement