Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Yep Light snow/Graupel in Clonskeagh right now.

2.2C/DP -2c/-3c

Dan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Currently 2.5 degrees here in Limerick and humidity at 72%. Probability of any precipitation falling as snow around 80% says my snow calculator, with melting air temp around 1.8 degrees...

It's in the hands of the snow gods for later then it seems... :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Light snow falling in City Centre. Sticking to rooftops so I see :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

some manner of very light snow in Kilmainham now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Latest forecast.
    20 January 2013 11:39

Tonight

Rain and sleet will move up over much of Munster and west Connacht early tonight and will turn to snow in many areas. Meanwhile, wintry showers in the east and northeast will turn increasingly to snow, especially on high ground.
    Drier through the midlands for a time with the risk of fog, but some showery sleet or snow possible overnight.
    Lowest temperatures of 0 to -2 degrees with frost and icy stretches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭Speak Now

jo06555 wrote: »
    I taught waterford/wexford would get dome tonight or has all that changed again this morning?? :(
    No Waterford never looked in line for snow, maybe light sleet tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭magicray

Light shower of graupel in Lucan, doubt it will stick though

Maybe not the city, but west waterord away from the coast should see some snow, if it manages to get that far east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

What the hell keeps us from missing it all the time? ? Cant be just luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Light snow falling here near Allenwood, Kildare, totally unexpected

• Advertisement

The stuff coming from the southwest will probably die out before getting far enough east. The showers coming into the east will die out before getting far enough west. And being near the coast doesn't help even if there was a chance. Screwed every way!:rolleyes::P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Just a quick update from me on where we stand for us Southerners.
    First re the Waterford query, not sure, you are in the colder air so your problem will be will the ppn travel that far ? For what it's worth I think it might and you will see snow later tonight or at some stage tomorrow.

Now back to the real capital and can it deliver for us.
    Well the models this mroning have made it a tad colder which is good
    The ppn doesn't travel as far though, and we really need the heavy stuff over us to produce good snowfall. It's going to be a radar and nowcast situation. On the plus saide the ppn is already moving into Kerry which is ahead of schedule
    Basically it's a wait and see until this evening, some reporting from Kerry through the day would be a great help as to what's falling

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Snow queen Wexford

The meteo times have Waterford and Wexford in the snow risk zone for tonight.http://www.meteotimes.net/2013/01/advance-advisory-snow-ireland-20-22.html?m=1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

Sky News showed some snow over the East and Northeast overnight and into tomorrow morning.. We live in hope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

Snowing in d15

Just a quick update from me on where we stand for us Southerners.
    First re the Waterford query, not sure you are in the colder air so your problem will be will the ppn travel that far ? For what it's worth I think it might and you will see snow later tonight or at some stage tomorrow.

Now back to the real capital and can it deliver for us.
    Well the models this mroning have made it a tad colder which is good
    The ppn doesn't travel as far though, and we really need the heavy stuff over us to produce good snowfall. It's going to be a radar and nowcast situation. On the plus saide the ppn is already moving into Kerry which is ahead of schedule
    Basically it's a wait and see until this evening, some reporting from Kerry through the day would be a great help as to what's falling

I'd say areas well inland in Cork will do quite well. It will be a nowcast for the city though. I would guess sleet turning to wet snow at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Showers really pepping up on the radar, are we in a NE flow or is it till E ? Dublin could miss out if its still totally E.

Sky News showed some snow over the East and Northeast overnight and into tomorrow morning.. We live in hope!!

Yep the models do show that. Between the southwest and the east, I expect the forum will be very busy tonight and in the early hours tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭mvron

Wow - light sleet/graupel in Stoneybatter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Saganist wrote: »
    Showers really pepping up on the radar, are we in a NE flow or is it till E ? Dublin could miss out if its still totally E.

flow is ESE. In a sense ESE is better than E because it means that showers have a slightly longer sea track. Still not expecting much anyways (Dublin)

• Advertisement

Should be mostly southeast today, turning more easterly overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Currently 1 degC, 80% humidity and tendency just after changing from cloudy to precipitation on the weather station readout in N. Co.Cork (approx 615ft/187m ASL)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Updated Taf for Dublin airport, interesting!

TAF EIDW 201100Z 2012/2112 10015KT 9999 SCT020 BKN040
    TEMPO 2018/2112 3000 -RASN BKN007 BKN018
    PROB40
    TEMPO 2101/2109 3000 -SN BKN004

Translation - light sleet from 18:00 with a decent chance of it turning to light snow later on in the night (from 01:00)
    Wind direction (ESE) keeps south Co Dublin mostly out of the fun zone before then.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

irishfeen wrote: »
    Currently 1 degC, 80% humidity and tendency just after changing from cloudy to precipitation on the weather station readout in N. Co.Cork (approx 615ft/187m ASL)

Are you looking forward to your snow? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

Light snow in Navan now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Are you looking forward to your snow? :pac:
    Not counting my chickens yet :).... Would love a good few inches, we haven't had a major fall of snow in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Yep the models do show that. Between the southwest and the east, I expect the forum will be very busy tonight and in the early hours tomorrow.

I fear the midlands will be sandwiched between the two snow risk areas and only get fog :( im on the Kildare- Offaly border so hopefully i'l get to see a few flurrys. As i type we have a light sleety shower. we usually do well from streamers here but the wind has to co-operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Well the wind driving the showers is more ESE if anything. No hope of it switching to a NE to develop shower patterns like it did in 2010. :)

As Dan said earlier watch out for what's moving westwards across England/Wales.Could be interesting for those in shadows currently. It's frontal precip so shadows probably won't be an issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

The Irish sea has really come to life! had a bit of grapul here about 15 mins ago, all the dew points seem to be good so I think it's a 'stick your head out the window day' toady ;)

At least we're now looking at radar rather than checking the maps 48 hours + out!

1 of my pictures from 3 rock yesterday, well worth a visit if your near it
    E6FA0924316E4A0490ADB513A0414216-0000354423-0003134625-00800L-B4743626F307468381259AA96946A586.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mayfly757

light snow/graupel swords, north dublin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement