Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

patneve2 wrote: »
    interesting to note that Casement reported 9 deg at 1500, and Dun Laoghaire Harbour currently is at 6.7 deg...colder uppers hugging the coast? seems strange to me...

It cold out towards the Irish Sea. M2 Buoy at 6.2 Degrees. I don't think I have ever seen the M2 colder than the mainland. The tide is turing and it's going to get cold. Keep an eye on the M2 over the cold period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

BEFORE THE SNOW ARRIVES TOMORROW COULD EVERYONE ENSURE THEY HAVE THEIR LOCATION LISTED AND IF POSSIBLE THEIR HEIGHT ABOVE SEA LEVEL.

THANKS

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

GEM has moved towards the GFS solution for next week. :( I'm expecting the ECM to do the same, even though it already backed off a bit this morning. Just when it was starting to look like we were going to get a proper easterly blast after the weekend...

Stop Maq just stop!! :-( so it could happen that it's not as cold next week as is being currently forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

leahyl wrote: »
    Stop Maq just stop!! :-( so it could happen that it's not as cold next week as is being currently forecast?

Lets wait and see what the ECM says....:(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Hendrix75

So how does this look for the north of Ireland? I'm sitting in Moira about 15 miles south west of Belfast. We are 69m above Sea Level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Hendrix75 wrote: »
    So how does this look for the north of Ireland? I'm sitting in Moira about 15 miles south west of Belfast. We are 69m above Sea Level.

Jaysus these questions are coming thick and fast. Did it not cross your mind to read the a few pages of the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

My owl is hooting uncontrollably today. Now if I know him like I think I do(I don't) he knows the cold is coming. In fact my dog actually said to me today that it's going to be cold tonight... "Woof! You better not leave me out in this sh1t tonight WOOF!".

I will update tomorrow folks. Keep warm, keep dry, stay sexy.

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Jaysus these questions are coming thick and fast. Did it not cross your mind to read the a few pages of the thread?

I've read the whole thread, forgive me i do not understand a lot of the met lingo. From what i gather it is then it isn't then it is again with a heavy focus on Dublin and the wicklow mountains :D

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

That's gas Im currently sitting on Moira!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

It is windy and wet out there at the moment. If this rain turns to snow up north later, your going to have some amount of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

You should be high enough, the flood water won't make 96m,

We had a red 4 Christmases ago and it rained for 3 days. Met Office UK are touch and go with the snow up north in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

The Ecm knowing our luck probably will move to a less cold position.

I'm still not expecting anything mad snowy in the coastal East tomorrow.
    I'm expecting rain tomorrow with some icy bits in it here.

If what Mt says will happen,I'll eat my hat.There just isn't enough chilled air over Britain yet in my opinion to suffeciently cool the drop zone of air the poir miserable snow flakes have to pass through to sea level.
    They will be screaming in pain for the last 1000ft of that drop before landing as sleety rain in coastal Dublin and wicklow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

whitebriar wrote: »
    The Ecm knowing our luck probably will move to a less cold position.

I'm still not expecting anything mad snowy in the coastal East tomorrow.
    I'm expecting rain tomorrow with some icy bits in it here.

If what Mt says will happen,I'll eat my hat.There just isn't enough chilled air over Britain yet in my opinion to suffeciently cool the drop zone of air the poir miserable snow flakes have to pass through to sea level.
    They will be screaming in pain for the last 1000ft of that drop before landing as sleety rain in coastal Dublin and wicklow.

I look forward to videos of you eating a hat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

My owl is hooting uncontrollably today. Now if I know him like I think I do(I don't) he knows the cold is coming. In fact my dog actually said to me today that it's going to be cold tonight... "Woof! You better not leave me out in this sh1t tonight WOOF!".

I will update tomorrow folks. Keep warm, keep dry, stay sexy.

Is that a euphemism!?;)

An interesting few days ahead alright, strange to see everyone in what is a semblance of agreement though I see Maq is starting to possibly waver?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ECM is good at T24 and T48hrs

Cold nice and south.

Expect MET to update forecasts to highlight increased risk of snow in coming hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Poorish radio forecast this evening
    Must have a good look at the charts in the minute to see who should get what.
    Come on ECM don't let us down

Well, ECM is better than the GFS by 48 hours anyway. Better than UKMO and NAE at 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hey folks , i've been in touch with Ian M over on Net Weather and they've sorted out the social radar overlay for Ireland.

So if you have a smartphone and twitter you can report snow by turning your geolocation for twitter on and post a tweet using #Irlsnow ... so say if it was me for Dublin.. Ahem *coughs * " OMG!!!! #iesnow here now in Dublin! 4/10, big DOCKER flakes! :D "

and it should pop up on the radar over on the NW page http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

I certainly think its a good addition :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Hey folks , i've been in touch with Ian M over on Net Weather and they've sorted out the social radar overlay for Ireland.

So if you have a smartphone and twitter you can report snow by turning your geolocation for twitter on and post a tweet using #Irlsnow ... so say if it was me for Dublin.. Ahem *coughs * " OMG!!!! #Irlsnow here now in Dublin! 4/10, big DOCKER flakes! :D "

and it should pop up on the radar over on the NW page http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

I certainly think its a good addition :)

Did it but nothing showed up :confused:

Cracking ECM at 72.

ECM0-72.GIF?17-0

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tomorrow could be a very severe snow event for many areas. I feel the underplay from the Met may be excessive.

People should know it's probable it will snow in many areas tomorrow with possible sig accumulations.

Yet nobody has a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Aye Maq, I can't wait for the forecast after the 9 o'clock news !

Nice ECM at 72hrs.
    Cold all around, surely a widespread snow event with uppers, dew points and Mondays evaporative cooling giving us snow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Cracking ECM at 72.

ECM0-72.GIF?17-0

Looks like MT is right about that colder air drifting southwards bit by bit!

Tomorrow could be a very severe snow event for many areas. I feel the underplay from the Met may be excessive.

People should know it's probable it will snow in many areas tomorrow with possible sig accumulations.

Yet nobody has a clue.

David Rogers said highland Ulster bascially on radio
    They are being very poor apart from Evelyn's ramp this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yet nobody has a clue.

what percentage of this island WC? i presume the northern half highly at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

I hope that they include the first 48 hours of the ECM 12Z in the 7:00 pm forecast. They look good... :)

• Advertisement

Yet nobody has a clue.

Wouldn't it be turning back to rain though at low levels apart from in the north as it pivots? Driving conditions will be pretty awful either way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement