Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

According to Simon Keeling's update the Canadian model (GEM?) has been spot on and has the cold lasting into Feb & mentioned he would trust that before other models at the moment. He also mentioned the GFS has milder air pushing in far too quickly. Are ME basing their forecasts on the GFS right now or...?

Thank you for giving me a little bit of hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

A breakdown is probably needed at this stage. The sooner we get out of this, let's be honest, useless pattern of decayed fronts, lacking convection, and stagnant conditions at times. We need the cold to retreat back east, and build up a proper cold pool out east again. Then we can hopefully have another bite of the cherry, with better synoptics, even colder 850s to spark off better convection and proper high pressure to actually set up shop over/near greenland. It's the only chance for a proper severe cold snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

simon_24 wrote: »
    Hey do you think we might see a few flakes tonight in Westmeath?
    Going by the ME forcast on RTE I think we have the Cork snow shield up in Westmeath:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Get your party hats on, snizzle has intensified to light snow, hooray!

EDIT: Back to snizzle... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

The Snow is epic along the Old Military Road- Will post pics later. :D

Dan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Fluffycloud

Yep me too. Roll on snow !!!, want to hear the lovely crunchie sound of snow when you are walking. Ooooooh please please give us snow!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Precip coming off Wales starting to pick up a bit on the radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Yet again another puny graupel shower :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Yay! My god im old and I still act like a big child anyways:

summary.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Permission to get excited? Dont know why I'm so greedy, spent all day in 2 foot of snow, and here i am hoping for a few cm's... pretty sad really. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Permission to get excited? Dont know why I'm so greedy, spent all day in 2 foot of snow, and here i am hoping for a few cm's... pretty sad really. :o

Snow is always better when it's your home place.

Snow reminds us all of more fun care free times I suppose - I am all for letting the inner child win this battle :p:p:p anyways id better shut up before I steer this topic too far afield

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Snow queen Wexford

Is it looking like south west wexford will get anything tonight?? Im gona crack up here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Just discovered a dusting of snow on the car just outside Kildare town, wasn't expecting that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

Is the raintoday radar a higher resolution than the met.ie one?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

I'm not going to let myself get excited this time, then it might actually snow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

John.Icy wrote: »
    A breakdown is probably needed at this stage. The sooner we get out of this, let's be honest, useless pattern of decayed fronts, lacking convection, and stagnant conditions at times. We need the cold to retreat back east, and build up a proper cold pool out east again. Then we can hopefully have another bite of the cherry, with better synoptics, even colder 850s to spark off better convection and proper high pressure to actually set up shop over/near greenland. It's the only chance for a proper severe cold snap.

I agree completely! This 'coldsnap' feels so half assed or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Snowing in Tralee. Fairly light at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Does anyone now if the winds on the east coast are going to change direction at all this evening/tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Does anyone now if the winds on the east coast are going to change direction at all this evening/tonight?

They will move more northeasterly

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I agree completely! This 'coldsnap' feels so half assed or something.

is it not that damned low pressure that was parked over us for the last few days that has done the damage to any potential weather event?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

I aint a wether expert or claim to be one,infact i aint a clue:D....one thing i will say is yer man Simon Keeling seems to have been spot on on over the course:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Neither met.ie or raintoday radars are showing any ppn over me in Donegal Town but there is light rain/sleet/graupel for over an hour. Barnesmore Gap has light snow. None on either radar. Where is this ppn popping up from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

We got hail in Drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Snow queen Wexford

unkymo wrote: »
    Thats very promising news!!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

Greystones,co.wicklow defo wont be getting any snow,so sad,have hope so much that we would,am done now,hope all who has snow enjoys it,game over for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

unkymo wrote: »

Hearing from friends the rest of north kerry is starting to get snow.
    Still nothing here in santry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

M2 buoy dp is at 0.2 though. Is that low enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

No snow in Greystones?!! Light graupel/snow up the hill in Delgany......must be the Tesco shadow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

To gritter trucks lashing around shankill now. Must be something on the way :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement