Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

dsaint1 wrote: »
    M2 buoy dp is at 0.2 though. Is that low enough?

Is the dp below zero where you are though?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

Is the dp below zero where you are though?

No it's showing 0.6 (Bray) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭cml387

Clonmel is currently 1.4 degrees with a dp of -1.2.

Seems very quiet here with an overcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

It's now finally spitting snow in Clara, Co. Offaly!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Snow falling in baltinglass Wicklow now. Cars starting to turn white

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

Current temp: 2.6c
    DP: -4.4

Few showers seem to be getting more organized now off the south east coast.. We live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

IrishHomer wrote: »
    It's now finally spitting snow in Clara, Co. Offaly!
    Send some Athlone direction:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Ok, Flood water has gone, I'm ready for snow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

neddynono wrote: »
    Snow falling in baltinglass Wicklow now. Cars starting to turn white

looking at the latest radar on the met eireann site - it seems that north wicklow and onwards due north could have a chance looking at the radar results over the Irish sea

summary.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Just had a light sprinkling of snow here in NewtownMountKennedy Co Wicklow :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I keep checking the date on this thread because sometimes i think i'm in a thread from two years ago! There has been no snow whatsoever here in Slane all day!:(
    Some of you are in 2ft of snow ffs!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I'm ready for snow now to be honest. Getting colder aswell :D

Let's pray for a snow so I can stay in bed. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

spitting snow in suncroft not graupel:D
    sticking to roofs of cars

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 357 ✭✭ballygowan1

Some PPN rolling off Wales. Looks like its heading for Dubland area. Has a bit to travel though.

Watching this like a hawk. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Got two hailstone showers today, small traces of sleet fell around lunchtime and that was it.. Anything new for NE Louth?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭Torque.ie

Just starting to rain lightly here now but temp has dropped 1.0c to 2.0 in the past hour. Wind picked up to 20kph+ due East

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

CianRyan wrote: »
    At about 2/2:30?
    In was in Parkwood trying to work on my car at the time, that was bloody heavy for a good few minutes.

All melted fairly quickly though.

Yep, want more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Temp is still 2.0c down here holding steady for a while now. Wind around 3km/h and no rain or snow in sight yet. :rolleyes:

But I'm very optimistic at the moment and it's likely at the moment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

John.Icy wrote: »
    A breakdown is probably needed at this stage. The sooner we get out of this, let's be honest, useless pattern of decayed fronts, lacking convection, and stagnant conditions at times. We need the cold to retreat back east, and build up a proper cold pool out east again. Then we can hopefully have another bite of the cherry, with better synoptics, even colder 850s to spark off better convection and proper high pressure to actually set up shop over/near greenland. It's the only chance for a proper severe cold snap.

That's A LOT of conditions to ask for. And let's be honest, the chances of it happening are quite slim.

Personally, I don't want this cold spell to go because if it does the chances of it reappearing have to be quite slim. Yes, the cold spell hasn't really delivered the goods for many parts of the country but you have to think that the longer the cold stays around the greater the chances of more places seeing some snow.

The lead-up to cold spells in Ireland are always so long and drawn out because of our western location and they often fail to materialise. If this cold goes, by the law of averages, we won't get another decent one until next year. I'm not saying it won't happen and I know many people are forecasting (guessing?) for a cold February but no one can say with much certainty whether that will materialise.

This could be our only chance for snow this year sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

unkymo wrote: »
    Snowing in Tralee. Fairly light at the moment though.

Getting heavier now! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 kmoneill

hi everyone,been following this weather forum for ages but never registered.i just had to this evening ...and im glad to tell you here, half ways between tralee and killarney its snowing and pretty heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

kmoneill wrote: »
    hi everyone,been following this weather forum for ages but never registered.i just had to this evening ...and im glad to tell you here, half ways between tralee and killarney its snowing and pretty heavy

Welcome :D Im a noobie here too - good to see yer getting some sneachta :D Ive a question for the experts here - how far is that particular front that is progressing over kerry/cork due to travel?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭Torque.ie

Rain has just turned to hail here. Promising

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Hail coming down fast in Louth the past 15 mins! Too close to sea level to get any snow probably :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

compsys wrote: »

That's A LOT of conditions to ask for. And let's be honest, the chances of it happening are quite slim.

Personally, I don't want this cold spell to go because if it does the chances of it reappearing have to be quite slim. Yes, the cold spell hasn't really delivered the goods for many parts of the country but you have to think that the longer the cold stays around the greater the chances of more places seeing some snow.

The lead-up to cold spells in Ireland are always so long and drawn out because of our western location and they often fail to materialise. If this cold goes, by the law of averages, we won't get another decent one until next year. I'm not saying it won't happen and I know many people are forecasting (guessing?) for a cold February but no one can say with much certainty whether that will materialise.

This could be our only chance for snow this year sadly.

With a usual winter it's a lot to ask for sure. But look at this winter so far, lots of northern blocking, none in the right places or else the Atlantic rolls over the top of ridging in its final journey to suitable areas. Lots of signals for highs to build properly towards greenland, again, the Atlantic eventually was too strong. Lots of cold to our NE, a Russian high. There is definitely scope for a severe cold spell, still it's going to be tough with the Atlantic being so active with it's lows recently, but so long as we keep high pressure out over scandi/russia, it'll be back knocking once the Atlantic quietens. A reset/breakdown wouldn't hurt us too much.

Then again, it could he out best chance for snow. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

What are the prospects of snow in Naas tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

kmoneill wrote: »
    Here's a webcam from Tralee:http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/webcams/webcamashehall/#d.en.1496

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Snow down the south west just reached listowel, looks like it's pushing east.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Lite snow here and zero degrees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

unkymo wrote: »
    Getting heavier now! :D:D

Good luck Tralee!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement