Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭Torque.ie

delw wrote: »
    Judging by the radar im surprised we are not getting more reports from Dundalk or Drogheda

5 minutes from Drogheda, hail showers getting more frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

any hope of snow in the offaly area tonight? really dont fany getting up and going to work in dublin tomorrow !!

Do you 'work' Leeson Street?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

how many cm's do you expect to fall and where will it it ?

No idea. It's a nowcast, just have to see how it unfolds on the radar. Some places might get a few cm and a couple of km away might get nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

If you scroll the radar back to 6pm you can see how much precip has increased between Wales and the east coast. It's still very light stuff, but it is slowly increasing. If the models are right it should start to get more interesting from 3am to 9am, but don't expect anything too dramatic.
    Dew points are very marginal,we'd want to have a stronger breeze to properly import some less modified Uk air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Been snowing very lightly here all day, its the very light powdery snow that seems to accumulate in crevices etc, nice to see it flying about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Rougies wrote: »
    Yeah I think we'll getting a lot of reports of snizzle/graupel in the next couple of hours.

Odds on for snizzle to reach Dublin by 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Hendrix75

sleet and rain in newry with the odd burst of snow. Ground very wet - much like this all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

any hope of snow in the offaly area tonight? really dont fany getting up and going to work in dublin tomorrow !!

There is always hope. A few light tiny flakes here in Moate, on and off, and you'd only notice them lamppost watching mind you. I doubt that front to the southwest will make it here before tomorrow morning,if at all. And the radar shows a few flurries inland over Leinster, but nothing major at present.

You'll be working tomorrw I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

otherfrog wrote: »
    It's larger than the ones from the Irish sea that have made landfall so far today - which were really insignificant, but appeared to get a boost over Dublin hills/Wicklow mountains and have been depositing light amounts of snow.

I'd be hopeful that this larger system will get a similar boost & lead to some accumulations.

but would this be on mountains only ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

The new word we all learned in 2010 was graupel.

The new word for 2013 is 'Snizzle'

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Munster46 wrote: »
    I'm the exact same the ground is dry . I'm close to the city center
    From looking at the radar it seems that the front seems to be fizzling out in almost a straight line between Mallow and Cork... From the image below I should be getting some sort of precipitation but nothing as of now.

1569s8i.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Heavy graupels in Rathfarnham now.

Aaaand...stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

I just found a heap of photos from 2010's snow event, apologies to all but I'm feel it's only right to post a few of them once they upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

irishfeen wrote: »
    From looking at the radar it seems that the front seems to be fizzling out in almost a straight line between Mallow and Cork... From the image below I should be getting some sort of precipitation but nothing as of now.

1569s8i.jpg
    I wouldnt trust the radar, showing precipitation over me for the last few hours and just a few flakes so far :(

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

dave1982 wrote: »

You're meant to add your location to your profile, makes it easier than typing where you are each time, thats why you see all the here's

If you use a smart phone like some many of us do, ( these days ) you do not see that information.

Anyway enough of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Starting to pep up a bit here, second moderate graupel shower in the last 20 minutes. Temp is still wrong side of marginal though, 3.6C/0.4C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

If you scroll the radar back to 6pm you can see how much precip has increased between Wales and the east coast. It's still very light stuff, but it is slowly increasing. If the models are right it should start to get more interesting from 3am to 9am, but don't expect anything too dramatic.

Estonian HIRLAM suggests even Wexford could benefit from this too? Would being closer to the front be a hindrance?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

did she mention greater dublin area in any other forecast ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

Good Girl Siobhan, that was a nice forecast (it wont happen like that though!)

**Ryan runs off to say a prayer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

did she mention greater dublin area in any other forecast ?

Yeah just now said snowfall Monday/Tuesday for north east/east and greater Dublin. Not sure how much though

/off to stare at Lampost

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

just heard Limerick is in the 'high risk' area:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Trogdor wrote: »
    Starting to pep up a bit here, second moderate graupel shower in the last 20 minutes. Temp is still wrong side of marginal though, 3.6C/0.4C

Yup but nice to see M2 buoy back to a DP= -0.7 at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Will it snow in Drogheda or will it just be rain and sleet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I wouldnt trust the radar, showing precipitation over me for the last few hours and just a few flakes so far :(
    Seems to show the same effect on the Met Eireann radar, I suppose we will just have to live in hope ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

How are these 'Streamers' predicted ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Nothing here in Carlow so far. Hoping not either, have to drive to Tralee in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Just by watching the radar really, very hard to predict where.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

just heard Limerick is in the 'high risk' area:D

Always has been ;)

(I'll get my coat)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Nothing here in Carlow so far. Hoping not either, have to drive to Tralee in the morning.

Snow in Tralee though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

Keep staring at this till you either go insane or your eyes bleed!

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement