Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Nabber wrote: »
    Streamers really starting to pick up for south Dublin & North Wicklow. But Dundalk has had a steady stream of streamers and has got nothing.

I think the echo off these streamers is skewed by the snow.

Don't see much happening tonight. But hopefully I'm wrong. Any on shore breeze kills my chances of snow sticking.

There was a pic of higher ground in Dundalk with loads of snow earlier. They've just been the wrong side of marginal at lower levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Rougies wrote: »
    There was a pic of higher ground in Dundalk with loads of snow earlier. They've just been the wrong side of marginal at lower levels.

Yip, I stuck up a picture of the Cooley Hills earlier on. I'd say they're getting plenty of snow up there tonight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Heavy sleet and snizzle shower just passed through Waterford City. Dew Point had gone positive earlier which has scuppered our chances of these showers being snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

a good fall of light snow/graupel again in Naas now! If that kept up perhaps it would give a dusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

The 23:30 met radar grab has me excited...larger precip showing and the winds coming around to a more n/e direction...snow on high ground in Wicklow/Wexford anyone?....its snowing here with nothing showing at the moment on met...so if that precip make it over!!!!:) :);)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Raining in arklow :( ..... Good job I got all the school uniforms, work gear ready earlier :) ..... Looks like it will be a normal Monday for us :( ..... Ah well, mayb next year ;)
    heh,are you not looking forward to the real thing 2010 style that's coming end of january into february,promised by Mt craniums research,our own resident forecaster and the real thing strat warming cold spell that's going to bring proper Scandinavian cold and snow to Arklow and the whole island then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

The irish sea seems to have woken up. Could be a nice covering now through the night 2-5 cm,s.

barney 20v wrote: »
    The 23:30 met radar grab has me excited...larger precip showing and the winds coming around to a more n/e direction...snow on high ground in Wicklow/Wexford anyone?....its snowing here with nothing showing at the moment on met...so if that precip make it over!!!!:) :);)

the precip did increase in area all of a sudden, I thought it might be an error but it's still there on the 23:45 frame. Still all very light though, and nothing streamery looking at all. I dunno, I'm not convinced but let's wait and see :)

the precip did increase in area all of a sudden, I thought it might be an error but it's still there on the 23:45 frame. Still all very light though, and nothing streamery looking at all. I dunno, I'm not convinced but let's wait and see :)
    I agree. But we're getting constant mixed showers here with zero showing on the met radar so........ Fingers crossed... This is what I want my commute to look like tomorrow am.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

I'm not far from Arklow and I'm getting some small snow/sleet showers. Then again, I'm about 50-100m above Arklow's level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/pict1735.jpg/

result of a snow shower here in north leinster about 20 mins ago! I'm on sea level and this resulted from it so don't give up luck guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

whitebriar wrote: »
    heh,are you not looking forward to the real thing 2010 style that's coming end of january into february,promised by Mt craniums research,our own resident forecaster and the real thing strat warming cold spell that's going to bring proper Scandinavian cold and snow to Arklow and the whole island then?

If u say it will happen in our neck of the woods I might hold out some hope :) ......

result of a snow shower here in north leinster about 20 mins ago! I'm on sea level and this resulted from it so don't give up luck guys!
    What a suitable user name ! Thank u thank u!

Nice, that looks like the real deal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Is it just my Raintoday radar stuck at 22.45 or what's going on? :confused:

Is it just my Raintoday radar stuck at 22.45 or what's going on? :confused:

Was the same for me, just got to 23:00 now. It will catch up :)

(I'm pretty sure they so it on purpose at times like these to get some premium accounts sold )

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Nice one! I'm very jealous though :P

It's stopped, hoping more showers will push in from the sea and give some more!

It's stopped, hoping more showers will push in from the sea and give some more!

How far inland are you and how high? Approx?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Lagoona Blue

D24 . snow shower looking a little heavier than before according to my lamp post not sure if it's sticking yet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Looks like I'm coming back into the game at just the right time :)

raintoday does seem to be stuck & netweather too, looks like we'll have to rely on Met Eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭shaneward2004

Coming down and sticking nicely in Carrickmacross Monaghan now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

whitebriar wrote: »

Hmmm.. Not sure if sarcasm..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Isle of Man as been replaced by the Isle of Anglesey :(

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

light, but steady graupel & snow in Naas at the moment, it's not sticking to the ground (but is to my coat!) - looking at the radar, it's a question of whether we stay in the stream coming off the Irish Sea overnight, if we do, it may begin to stick & accumulate.

I have to say, the sound of it falling on the trees & plants is quite beautiful - unique sound, softer than rain.

otherfrog wrote: »
    light, but steady graupel & snow in Naas at the moment, it's not sticking to the ground (but is to my coat!) - looking at the radar, it's a question of whether we stay in the stream coming off the Irish Sea overnight, if we do, it may begin to stick & accumulate.

I have to say, the sound of it falling on the trees & plants is quite beautiful - unique sound, softer than rain.
    Nice image! Well put. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Love how the mountains to the east of me(s.kildare) have completely stopped the progress of the precip at an exact point over Wicklow!

Both infuriating for the rest of the night but also hilarious how unlucky ya can be! :D

Still snizzling atm, in around 50 years it might dust the car windscreen.

How far inland are you and how high? Approx?

I live literally on the coast about 200m from the sea and I'm on sea level. I'd say it was a shower that came off the sea and got us at the right time! I'm hoping more follow like it during the night and I wake up with a lot more/the snow that's outside now hasn't melted... first snow to fall properly since 2010!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Wheres that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yes a god fall of light snow and graupel in Naas a while now , sticking to garden furniture and cars

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement